What's new

Injustice - Mortal Kombat 9's 'High-Level Players' Corner Game Influenced Interactive Environments

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Here is an interesting interview for you as ScrewAttack asks NetherRealm Producer, Hector Sanchez several questions about Injustice. Many topics are discussed in this interview, but the most interesting have to deal with what NetherRealm Studios learned from Mortal Kombat 9 and its success. Hector explains that one of the biggest things they learned from watching 'high-level players' was the corner game and how the strategy with certain characters was to trap them there. This is where Hector talks about certain environmental objects explaining for example how Nightwing using a car in the corner can jump out of the corner. They wanted to make the "backgrounds more interactive".
injustice1.jpg
ScrewAttack also asks Hector how they're making Aquan Man look... with Hector replying after hesitation w/ "No comment".

Lastly, when asked about DLC in Injustice, Hector expresses that the team is still working on what all content will be in the game and that their goal is to maximize what is on the disc.

Credit: Killzone

Attachments

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Corners in MK9 are annoying as fuck, but not because there corners, if that makes any sense.

They were weird and invisible, making it sometimes hard to tell where it was.
They were kinda glitchy, like some stuff that worked on one corner didn't work on the other.
The way the game promotes JiP as the go to way to start your offense, it cause people to jump INTO the corner.
Combined with the awkward character hitboxes that would sometimes result in people phasing through each other, or moving over there body, the corners were very strange and awkward places, and half the time your in there yakety sax should be playing.

This however is not the way to fix that, and judging by the three levels shown, it won't. So this just seems like marketing speak.

MK_Al

Noob
Now its officially the "anti Tom Brady" game, no need to nerf single characters anymore. Bradys tactic to hide his Injustice main already failed :D

Am I the only who actually likes the ability to get out of the corner pressure? It makes the fights last longer and doesn't put the one who got into the corner into such a damn bad spot.
It makes it more exciting and it could put more emphasis on the wall-bounces and the off-the-grounds to extend to combos and do more damage, so that should mean that we're going to see more fancy ass tech in this game than we have it in MK9.

zaf

professor
Am I the only who actually likes the ability to get out of the corner pressure? It makes the fights last longer and doesn't put the one who got into the corner into such a damn bad spot.
It makes it more exciting and it could put more emphasis on the wall-bounces and the off-the-grounds to extend to combos and do more damage, so that should mean that we're going to see more fancy ass tech in this game than we have it in MK9.
either dont get put in such a bad spot, or learn ways to get out.
instead of playing game after game with people, practise set ups and corner set ups and ways out
this is highly important in high level fighter game play.
it would be 100% easier if this game had a good practise mode

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
I think the only guys these background mechanics will matter for are folks like Nightwing and Catwoman who can use them for mobility options. Those stage jumping interactions where they jump off stuff are pretty fast and look good for footsies. Other than that I don't see these being too big of a deal and I doubt stage transitions will happen much if at all during high level play.

either dont get put in such a bad spot, or learn ways to get out.
instead of playing game after game with people, practise set ups and corner set ups and ways out
this is highly important in high level fighter game play.
it would be 100% easier if this game had a good practise mode
My opinion didn't change, because of your post.
It takes more experimentation and skill to extend combos with OTG's and wall-bounces, rather than just having the opponent in the corner, hitting the wall and giving you the opportunity to hit him once again, before he flies away or drops down.
When we compare these two scenarios ... MK9-corner-combos are the poor mans way to deal more damage, while Injustice's-OTG's-and-wall-bounces require more "skill".

If you were looking for improved gameplay and more exciting fights on higher levels, ... you got it with the Injustice mechanics.

I think the only guys these background mechanics will matter for are folks like Nightwing and Catwoman who can use them for mobility options. Those stage jumping interactions where they jump off stuff are pretty fast and look good for footsies. Other than that I don't see these being too big of a deal and I doubt stage transitions will happen much if at all during high level play.
Harley Quinn can bounce off it as well, but it doesn't stop there.
What would we see in a match?

Would a Superman / Wonder Woman player instantly go over to the corner, to pick up and destroy the car, so that these characters would not be able to use them to hit-escape?
Would that action be punishable, since he would be in the motion of the picking up and smashing?
Would a Harley Quinn player insist on trying to take the fight to the corner, where he could hit escape if it doesn't go all too well for him and zone from a safe spot, and continue his own corner-combos if he would get a clean hit?

It looks like this game is going to have a shit load of mind games. I LOVE IT!

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
they nerfed corner trapping....awww man :(

.....then again a whole new "form" of corner trapping could come from this

zaf

professor
My opinion didn't change, because of your post.
It takes more experimentation and skill to extend combos with OTG's and wall-bounces, rather than just having the opponent in the corner, hitting the wall and giving you the opportunity to hit him once again, before he flies away or drops down.
When we compare these two scenarios ... MK9-corner-combos are the poor mans way to deal more damage, while Injustice's-OTG's-and-wall-bounces require more "skill".

If you were looking for improved gameplay and more exciting fights on higher levels, ... you got it with the Injustice mechanics.

I have no problem with the mechanics of the wall bounce and otgs.
My problem is with being given a "get of jail card" for free.
They are putting cars in the corner to help certain characters get out of the corner.
That is my problem. I like the otg and wall bounces.

WayoftheFist

Cold day in hell...
So they changed a whole dynamic of 2d fighting games because it's hard to get out of the corner on a high level player. Yay. What's the point of wall carry and positioning when your opponent gets out for free. I hope it's punishable on a read.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
It takes more experimentation and skill to extend combos with OTG's
I don't think the game is going to have OTG's, at least not combo extending OTG's. Stuff like Supermans Eye beams hitting OTG is fine.
That's always been a weird mechanic that too many people hate.

I have no problem with the mechanics of the wall bounce and otgs.
My problem is with being given a "get of jail card" for free.
They are putting cars in the corner to help certain characters get out of the corner.
That is my problem. I like the otg and wall bounces.
But you have that card with the combo-breaker already?
That is the ultimate way to escape combos, which could finish you off. You just have to invest 2 bars.

There are not many people out there, but there are some - who don't like the combo-breaker-mechanic, because it puts way too much emphasis on these two bars to be able to break free and most of the time you're not willing to use X-Ray moves (super moves).
Having something to escape out of a corner and basically force the enemy to use his meter, if he wants to extend his combo-damage is in my opinion a good thing.

And yeah, thanks to the cars some will be able to escape the corner, while others will be able to use the cars to extend damage. We don't know yet how it will turn out to be. If Nightwing gets the momentum, he can use the car to escape. If Superman does it, he could be able to use the car to extend his corner-damage by a ridiculously large margin, if the environmental-damage stays as high as it is now.

All I'm saying is that the possibilities seem to be endless, when it comes to this game and I'm very excited to see more of it.
I also wouldn't mind being able to escape the corner to avoid cheap ass damage. Having an opponent who has to use meter to extend his damage always makes the fight more interesting, since he basically loses meter. It's a give and take. Awesome!

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Seconded.

Why just just...I don't know...implement a regular combo breaker?
It's pretty much an NRS calling card at this point. And while I know they're trying to make this game as different from MK as possible as far as its unique features, I for one would feel a hell of a lot more comfortable getting to keep the system I already know as far as that particular topic is concerned, especially when the mechanic they plan on replacing it with is as silly as the Wager system.