What's new

Injustice - Hector Talks About "Clash System", the Gimmick Button & Gameplay at PAX Prime 2012

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
At PAX Prime Hector was interviewed and asked about Injustice. From the "Gimmick" button and how different characters use the Gimmick button to explaing more about how the "Clash System" works/will work. For those skeptical of this system... in this interview I have to admit that it sounds very cool. It's seems to be activated when you would normally be performing a "breaker" in Mortal Kombat. Hector goes over varies aspects and the depth of the game.
!

Credit: C-Sword
Source: Front Towards Gamer via http://www.youtube.com/user/FrontTowardsGamer?feature=watch

Attachments

Seriously, they are STILL trying to sell this dumb wager system? If someone does a 50% combo on me and I break OF COURSE Im going to use ALL my meter to make sure I negate that damage. Where is the mind games or strategy? The only time someone will break a small % combo is when they are near dead.

I think Bowser shot this game with a devolution gun.

Mattman

Warlock Nerd
that life meter doesnt really look like two health bars put together, and it seems to deplete pretty quickly. nonetheless, the game looks awesome

EDIT- nevermind, i see the 2nd meter now

Yeah the game definitely looks good and its getting better with time... Remember Batmans first super was actually one of Scorpions fatalities? lmao. Anyways, the game is shaping up but BETTING meter seems silly. I do like how it gives you your life back though, seems like one of the basic strats in the game is going to be small combos straight into super for guaranteed damage instead of risking a wager.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
My only problem with Injustice so far are the inevitable pauses that will happen in gameplay with so many cutscenes from wagering, transitions, supers, etc.

Please tell me at LEAST the transitions can be skipped, because all of this cinematic baloney is just going to kill the flow of the match after you've seen them all 100 times.

Reedoms

Noob
Seriously, they are STILL trying to sell this dumb wager system? If someone does a 50% combo on me and I break OF COURSE Im going to use ALL my meter to make sure I negate that damage. Where is the mind games or strategy? The only time someone will break a small % combo is when they are near dead.

If you break, you can only wager 2 if you are on the receiving end of the combo. 2 to initiate, 2 to bet. If the opponent has more meter than you, you will always lose. That's what I don't like about this wager system.

If you don't understand the strategy behind it, then you don't understand meter management.

If you break, you can only wager 2 if you are on the receiving end of the combo. 2 to initiate, 2 to bet. If the opponent has more meter than you, you will always lose. That's what I don't like about this wager system.
That's simply a balancing issue. The core concept is still viable, and once they find the magic spot, then it's just a matter of implementing it.

VOR

Noob
Maybe this is a dumb question or whatever, but the simple thing I really want to know is if the person who loses the wager keeps the meter they bet if they lose or not. I mean, isn't that a strategy right there, to purposely lose the wager to keep your meter? It seems like it would be a good idea to lose the clash to keep your meter, but I don't know if you keep it if you lose the clash, or if because you lost the clash, you lose all of your meter too.

Do explain the strategy behind meter management as it relates to the Wager system. Im sure everyone will be glad to hear how this retarded gimmicky breaker system is actually viable.

The ONLY defensive trick I can think of is breaking a combo and hoping your opponent spends all his meter trying to win it with you spending no meter and now you have two bars while he has none which is STILL a lose for the defensive player.

Maybe this is a dumb question or whatever, but the simple thing I really want to know is if the person who loses the wager keeps the meter they bet if they lose or not. I mean, isn't that a strategy right there, to purposely lose the wager to keep your meter? It seems like it would be a good idea to lose the clash to keep your meter, but I don't know if you keep it if you lose the clash, or if because you lost the clash, you lose all of your meter too.

You lose 2 bars of meter when you break. As far as I know you do not keep your meter if you lose. Read the above post, best case scenario your opponent loses all his meter if you play the "what if" game and bet no meter. But NOW he has the life lead and you have to chase him down. Only way this strategy works is if even if they land a full combo you will still have life lead.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
still waiting till closer to release to see how they fully flesh out the wager system.

also still waiting to hear swamp thing announced!!!:coffee:

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
I need to hear an explanation of the pros and cons of the wager system from a source that I trust, aka an actual fighting game player, not a developer. I've never heard a NRS staff member speak in depth about any system in any of their games in actual fighting game terms.

Saying something like "Is it worth my meter to gain back a 17% combo or save up my meter for my super move that deals 40%?". You HAVE to clarify this shit! What % total life do we have? Do characters have the same amount of health? Is 40% accurate for damage of a super move? Even if it is or isn't, I don't know how much total health a character has, so how is that number significant to me? Why would you ever not wager all of your meter in a Wager?

The way they speak about their own systems makes me think they haven't bothered to think it through and are simply going for the 'sex appeal' of a supermove. NRS: you can make really awesome looking moves and specials that are also balanced in a way that drives real strategy and mind games. The concept of "If I have more meter than you, I can pick which combo to not only nullify but heal myself back from" is like MK9's Breaker but twisted and weird. I wish someone would specifically explain why it adds strategy and depth to the game and isn't just a weird Breaker. The Wager system seems like it has an unknown element to it in that you don't know how much meter is actually being spent. Quality fighting games don't have unknowns in them in my experience.

For the record, MK9's Breaker system is pretty good. Besides the fact that some characters have a harder time than others building meter.

PS I complain because I want a better game than MK9. I love this game, but damn could it be better in some real fundamental ways.

PSS I also understand that NRS wants to make money. High quality games typically lead to more sales.

I'm bored and have some free time, so I'm going to go and write a speculative guide of sorts, involving situations in which the clash system would show its worth.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I need to hear an explanation of the pros and cons of the wager system from a source that I trust, aka an actual fighting game player, not a developer. I've never heard a NRS staff member speak in depth about any system in any of their games in actual fighting game terms.
Paulo explained some of the clash system mechanics awhile back, specifically the percentage of damage it will heal or do depending on the amount of bars spent, it didn't actually heal very much. He posted it on tym so its lost now though.

Characters have 200% heatlh(two life bars), and everyone has the same amount of life.

Why they never explain anything in actual depth in these interviews is that there talking to super casual players most of the time who don't really understand jack shit. The couple times they have been interviewed by people who actually give a shit, they have been more receptive.

The wager is basically the breaker system from MK9, however they made it crazy because they wanted to make breakers actually punishable, that and they thought the animation looked cool I guess.

Personally I think it is awful, adds nothing too the game, and there are better ways to make breakers punishable, also breakers fucking suck and should not be in fighting games. There were lots of threads on this, but there all lost now.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
breakers should be in the game...could u imagine mk9 without breakers? everyone would only play cyrax lol

VOR

Noob
You lose 2 bars of meter when you break. As far as I know you do not keep your meter if you lose. Read the above post, best case scenario your opponent loses all his meter if you play the "what if" game and bet no meter. But NOW he has the life lead and you have to chase him down. Only way this strategy works is if even if they land a full combo you will still have life lead.

I understand. If this wager system is to work, there should be some incentive to wager nothing. If you wager no meter and still lose all your meter for it, that seems dumb. If you wager 3 or less you lose everything if your opp. wagers 4. What's the point in wagering less than everything since you'll lose it anyways? If you wager nothing, you shouldn't lose all of your meter.