What's new

Injustice 2 Will NOT be Region Locked

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
NRS have recently confirmed that Injustice 2 will not be region locked!

On the Dr Fate and Robin WatchTower Stream, Tyler Lansdown confirmed that Injustice 2 will not be region locked. To hear for yourself, you can watch him answer that question at 10m35s here

For those of you who are unaware - previous NRS games have been region locked, meaning that people wanting to play online on PSN, could only play people in the same region as them. This meant that if a player in Europe wanted to play someone in America, on PSN, they would have to buy an American copy of the game and have an American PSN account.

These days are now over!

NRS are yet to confirm whether or not there will be a filter system in place, so that people can choose to limit matchmaking to their region if they wish. Hopefully we will hear more on this in the upcoming weeks.

Sneakily edited/promoted by the Tortoise

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! This is great news for someone living in Guam. If I want to play with friends in Canada, Sweden, or Poland, we should have the option to have some matches.

IrishMantis

This is a bad thing for North American players and a good thing for eu players.
Well if as said above a filter is added and maybe flags everybody wins

But you're right. US don't gain much but EU does.

That's nothing got to do with EU having shitty Connection

In fact the EU is miles ahead of US in standard, Fibre is standard here.

It's more NA had an active enough scene that they don't gain much by long distances

Well if as said above a filter is added and maybe flags everybody wins

But you're right. US don't gain much but EU does.

That's nothing got to do with EU having shitty Connection

In fact the EU is miles ahead of US in standard, Fibre is standard here.

It's more NA had an active enough scene that they don't gain much by long distances
going to make online tournaments a lot less legitimate if they allow everyone in the world to enter. we do not have japan fiber optics in the us let alone USA vs EU matches. online lag is a thing and not an excuse.

if this is the route online TOs take then the online realm will have taken steps backwards toward legitimacy

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
everybody doesn't want to be playing people from other regions.

So hopefully there be a Ping/Region filter.
Flags would be really sick too.
I think this needs to be implemented. Though I guess as long as you can back out of games by seeing the ping before you accept, then maybe you do not need a region filter option.

IrishMantis

going to make online tournaments a lot less legitimate if they allow everyone in the world to enter. we do not have japan fiber optics in the us let alone USA vs EU matches. online lag is a thing and not an excuse.

if this is the route online TOs take then the online realm will have taken steps backwards toward legitimacy
Yeah tournaments should stay Region locked for sure

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous

I agree, but it is fun to point out how quickly jaded and spoiled we become. Not even a 2 years ago before the new netcode was out the connections we have now would be something to only dream of. MK9, i1, Early MKx... the netcode was so bad and we all played online anyway, complained... but we did it. Now that the netcode is way better the complaining hasn't actually stopped or gone down. Look at twitter after Kombat Kup or in chat and it is Lag this, Lag that.. etc etc. Check youtube or w/e.. people are still complaining about connections that only a such a short time ago would have seemed unbelievably good.

What I am getting at here, is that players want the impossible. It is not about what is actually achievable with the current technology, it is about some fantasy that we would all like the technology to be. It wouldn't matter if the netcode allowed "near" offline perfect form the US to Australia.. the fact that it is "near perfect" and not "perfect" would be grounds to complain.

So I say, as long as the tournament is open and players understand what is up, then I think EU 2 US in online comps should be fine. It will never be good enough, it will never be perfect, but it is always getting better and it is as good now as any fighting can be at the moment.. so why not let them play.

I for one would like to see Foxy and Mantis and Madzin and Nevik and all the rest I haven't listed playing in the online events that I'm sure will be starting up soon.

IrishMantis

Had to throw in a little edit

Because I didn't actually think people would want that, I thought keeping tourneys locked went without saying

SylverRye

Official Loop Kang Main
I agree, but it is fun to point out how quickly jaded and spoiled we become. Not even a 2 years ago before the new netcode was out the connections we have now would be something to only dream of. MK9, i1, Early MKx... the netcode was so bad and we all played online anyway, complained... but we did it. Now that the netcode is way better the complaining hasn't actually stopped or gone down. Look at twitter after Kombat Kup or in chat and it is Lag this, Lag that.. etc etc. Check youtube or w/e.. people are still complaining about connections that only a such a short time ago would have seemed unbelievably good.

What I am getting at here, is that players want the impossible. It is not about what is actually achievable with the current technology, it is about some fantasy that we would all like the technology to be. It wouldn't matter if the netcode allowed "near" offline perfect form the US to Australia.. the fact that it is "near perfect" and not "perfect" would be grounds to complain.

So I say, as long as the tournament is open and players understand what is up, then I think EU 2 US in online comps should be fine. It will never be good enough, it will never be perfect, but it is always getting better and it is as good now as any fighting can be at the moment.. so why not let them play.

I for one would like to see Foxy and Mantis and Madzin and Nevik and all the rest I haven't listed playing in the online events that I'm sure will be starting up soon.
The online is good but you still see complaining because some people online honestly do have poverty internet. Good netcode wont fix people with trash connection.

As for NA and EU mixing for tournaments, no. Connecting overseas is always rough and nobody in NA or EU wants to compete in constant 150+ ping. Im glad the region lock is off though, id like to play a lot of the EU guys and they would like to play us. Its a win win.

shura30

Shura
having both copies I can assure you all that EU has worse connection with russian players rather than NA ones

and the meme 'eu has shitty internet' should stop, you guys are smarter than that, if you can understand frames and all you should know that distance is a major factor rather than internet itself

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
As long as it allows to select region with the same results as mkx, it's fine. Some connections between usa and eur are pure cancer. And xbox was region free and...well, those who have played mkx on xbox know what I'm talking about.

For people interested in tourneys, I agree they should be region locked.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
About fucking time. How much I loathed the region lock system, and now WB finally did put in its fucking mind that region lock is the most hated system in the world.

This region lock system is the reason I had to become a pirate in order to "crack" the consoles. Now that leaves the PSN, the XBL and the Nintendo Market to get rid of this. I'm so happy that one of NRS games is the first to get rid of the region lock system.

Kudos!

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
It is a good news overall, but I'm worried that US and EU players will decide to create new fake accounts and play in the different region ESL tournaments.That would be a real mess.

i don't think ESL can guaranteed only EU players will enter EU tournaments if region lock is not a thing.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
It is a good news overall, but I'm worried that US and EU players will decide to create new fake accounts and play in the different region ESL tournaments.That would be a real mess.

i don't think ESL can guaranteed only EU players will enter EU tournaments if region lock is not a thing.
Definitely some sort of ip checking should be implemented in region locked tourneys.

IrishMantis

Although good point

But a lot of EU players had US copies so they could of done that in anyway