What's new

Injustice 2 numbers for EVO revealed, no 8AM pools

No yomi villians...
The only real stories leading up to the EVO Injustice 2 main stage is will SonicFox redeem his top spot, will Whiteboy shock the world and take his Scarecrow to number 1 and will Slayer avenge his lost to Whiteboy.
If your problem is what you see rather then play then it makes your argument even less viable. Yes the spectating aspect is important, but when it comes to what makes the game viable, it's when you actually play, not watch.

And yes the characters that make it to the top do matter because it only goes to show that tier lists and/or easiness of characters aren't the be all, end all. Especially that since your whole problem is just about watching the game, that should solve your problem because, well, you watch the top 8.

And I'm playing Ivy, and planning to switch to Sub-Zero once he comes out. Never touched any of those characters in a high level. On that note though, you mentioned 7 characters, I've seen games that their lists of most viable characters are even shorter then that and they are clearly unbalanced. Not to mention that Catwoman, Batman, and also Ivy (my main) are very strong in this game. That makes 10. A game with 10 characters that are supposedly above them all isn't that bad at all, and not all of those 10 characters are Zoning-only characters (a la Atrocitus and Catwoman), so there is no "shooter vibe" at all. And if Scarecrow won CEO, that puts even that list in question, after a lot of people, well, watched it.

You're not helping at all, period. So let's just stop here.
As an Ivy main, I think she's not all that strong. Outside of the zoning and the trait, what does she really have besides corner damage? No real reason to play her over Aquaman except you just don't want to be hassled for using the "top 5" and I say this as both an Ivy and Aquaman player...

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
The only real stories leading up to the EVO Injustice 2 main stage is will SonicFox redeem his top spot, will Whiteboy shock the world and take his Scarecrow to number 1 and will Slayer avenge his lost to Whiteboy.
There's a lot more than that:
  • We have strong new Injustice blood coming in in Dragon, and he's shown he's able to hang with the best. He can cause serious damage in a finals bracket.
  • We know Theo can beat Sonic. Potential for major EVO upsets is here
  • We know first year EVO's can be unpredictable. This could be a really good opportunity for Semij, Illusions, etc. to crack into EVO Top 8
  • The EU is obviously going to want to see if they can re-create their success from 2015
  • There is massive potential for surprises due to multiple notable players who have picked up new mains in the weeks before this tournament
  • You can never completely count out DJT as well
  • This could be a big year for Biohazard
  • etc.

Last edited:

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
  • We have strong new Injustice blood coming in in Dragon, and he's shown he's able to hang with the best. He can cause serious damage in a finals bracket.
  • We know first year EVO's can be unpredictable. This could be a really good opportunity for Semij, Illusions, etc. to crack into EVO Top 8
  • The EU is obviously going to want to see if they can re-create their success from 2015
  • There is massive potential for surprises due to multiple notable players who have picked up new mains in the weeks before this tournament
  • etc.
This

As an Ivy main, I think she's not all that strong. Outside of the zoning and the trait, what does she really have besides corner damage? No real reason to play her over Aquaman except you just don't want to be hassled for using the "top 5" and I say this as both an Ivy and Aquaman player...
Here is the thing about Ivy that I just don't get. Everyone saying she is a great Zoner, and yes she can Zone, but the Zoning isn't that strong because she has to relay on her Trait to get her Zoning into it's full potential, and once the Trait runs out she has to wait until she can use it, and her Drill by itself isn't good enough to Zone as the opponent can easily jump above it, so she is forced to play the Rushdown game even if the Ivy player doesn't want to do so. Ivy seems like a hybrid character that leans more into close pressure then anything else, as the Trait can also help her pressure, and she does have great pressure and corner damage.

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Here is the thing about Ivy that I just don't get. Everyone say she is a great Zoner, and yes she can Zone, but the Zoning isn't that strong because she has to relay on her Trait to get her Zoning into it's full potential, and once the Trait runs out she has to wait until she can use it, and her Drill by itself isn't good enough to Zone as the opponent can easily jump above it, so she is forced to play the Rushdown game even if the Ivy player doesn't want to do so. Ivy seems like a hybrid character that leans more into close pressure then anything else, as the Trait can also help her pressure, and she does have great pressure and corner damage.
Yeah, I'm more scared of Ivy's f3 (that f3 range!), her footsies and her chip damage than anything when playing her. Not supposed zoning.

This

Here is the thing about Ivy that I just don't get. Everyone saying she is a great Zoner, and yes she can Zone, but the Zoning isn't that strong because she has to relay on her Trait to get her Zoning into it's full potential, and once the Trait runs out she has to wait until she can use it, and her Drill by itself isn't good enough to Zone as the opponent can easily jump above it, so she is forced to play the Rushdown game even if the Ivy player doesn't want to do so. Ivy seems like a hybrid character that leans more into close pressure then anything else, as the Trait can also help her pressure, and she does have great pressure and corner damage.
Pretty much everything you describe is actually how I play her and with that in mind, this makes me question whether or not to continue playing her. Why should I continue to invest in this character when Aquaman or even Batman can do the exact same things she does, just much better and more consistent. Maybe I'm just downplaying my own abilities or something but I don't know. I just want the very best out of Poison Ivy in the long run.

• etc.
I mean this just seems like a repeat of EVO 2015 but, it's nice knowing there's more stories out there.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
Pretty much everything you describe is actually how I play her and with that in mind, this makes me question whether or not to continue playing her. Why should I continue to invest in this character when Aquaman or even Batman can do the exact same things she does, just much better and more consistent. Maybe I'm just downplaying my own abilities or something but I don't know. I just want the very best out of Poison Ivy in the long run.
I'm not downplaying Ivy, she is still a great character, just not with the archetype that people claim she has. I go for Sub-Zero for several reasons and one of them is that while I thought Ivy will be the IJ2 equivalent for Reptile, Sub-Zero is closer to be that because his Ice Ball goes though the screen rather in a short range from the ground like Ivy's drill, so he has more consistent space control then Ivy as he doesn't have to rely just on the Ice Klone, in addition that he has the Slide that can be good for both Rushdown and mobility. Yes he's still more defensive then offensive and not as balanced between Zoning and Rushdown like Reptile is (and Reptile is also leans more into Zoning, just with more Rushdown options), but Sub-Zero fits that archetype more then Ivy. And if I can make him look like Reptile with the Gear system, I'm sold.