What's new

Injustice 2 numbers for EVO revealed, no 8AM pools

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
It has absolutely nothing to do with this. Look at the EVO numbers for most of the other big games.
It definitely was a factor. There's players who have openly stated this. Everything was a factor. Just because the numbers for every game were lower across the board, does not mean everything else is irrelevant.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
It definitely was a factor. There's players who have openly stated this. Everything was a factor. Just because the numbers for every game were lower across the board, does not mean everything else is irrelevant.
This doesn't make sense unless you believe that there were 1100 primarily MKX-community members that entered our game in 2015. Our numbers are proportional and they're fine.

This isn't a stepback in NRS players, it's the direct result less people travelling to EVO for SFV, Smash etc.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
This doesn't make sense unless you believe that there were 1100 primarily MKX-community members that entered our game in 2015. Our numbers are proportional and they're fine.

This isn't a stepback in NRS players, it's the direct result of a couple thousand less people travelling to EVO for SFV, Smash etc.
New games generally have a higher turnout, or games new to EVO. Injustice 2 wasn't at EVO last year, so there isn't a reliable comparison there. Even if it was there last year, numbers decline after the first EVO for that game. Not just for NRS games, but most of the games. This is Injustice 2's first EVO, if all the factors weren't in play, we would undoubtedly have had a higher turnout. How much higher is uncertain.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
MK is always gonna get more entrants than Injustice because of the name/legacy. Do you think casual players that go to EVO enter games based on quality? It's brand recognition, ease of entry, and "hype" surrounding it.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
New games generally have a higher turnout, or games new to EVO. Injustice 2 wasn't at EVO last year, so there isn't a reliable comparison there. Even if it was there last year, numbers decline after the first EVO for that game. Not just for NRS games, but most of the games. This is Injustice 2's first EVO, if all the factors weren't in play, we would undoubtedly have had a higher turnout. How much higher is uncertain.
The new game turnout for MKX included hundreds of players from other games. But EVO attendance is down across the board, so this shouldn't be surprising.

Blazblue has a new edition and didn't even crack 500.

Last edited:

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
The new game turnout for MKX included hundreds of players from other games. But EVO attendance is down aceoss the board, so this shouldn't be surprising.

But what about Tekken?

There still players from other games playing Inj2 this year too though.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
But what about Tekken?

There still players from other games playing Inj2 this year too though.
This is the first new version of Tekken for home consoles in 5 years. Thus the larger than usual turnout for them this year -- it's a major event for Tekken fans.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
The new game turnout for MKX included hundreds of players from other games. But EVO attendance is down aceoss the board, so this shouldn't be surprising.

The point is the numbers being down isn't the only factor. It's all of the factors that come into play. The fact is there's a bunch of players who have openly stated they weren't going to EVO for any one of the reasons mentioned. It's only reasonable to assume other likeminded people had similar thoughts and came to the same conclusion. I mean if you want to believe there's only one reason for this, that's fine, it's your choice. But in reality it's all of the factors that have caused the numbers to not be as high as they could have been.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
The point is the numbers being down isn't the only factor. It's all of the factors that come into play. The fact is there's a bunch of players who have openly stated they weren't going to EVO for any one of the reasons mentioned. It's only reasonable to assume other likeminded people had similar thoughts and came to the same conclusion. I mean if you want to believe there's only one reason for this, that's fine, it's your choice. But in reality it's all of the factors that have caused the numbers to not be as high as they could have been.
I mean, people said they weren't going to EVO because Quan Chi and Lao were broken. This is smoke and mirrors every year. The people from our community who are serious competitors will be there as usual.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
I mean, people said they weren't going to EVO because Quan Chi and Lao were broken. This is smoke and mirrors every year. The people from our community who are serious competitors will be there as usual.
This implies that nothing can affect whether or not a "serious competitor" is willing to spend their time and money to travel to an event. If you meant sponsored players, yeah they are going to go regardless, unless something personal happens that prevents them from going.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
I read through this thread, and 99% of the people replying to this thread have no idea what they're talking about. This is just another case of people jumping to self-hate when they didn't actually look at the facts.

This has nothing to do with INJ2 -- the numbers are down across the board.

SFV 2016 Entrants -- 5065
SFV 2017 Entrants -- 2622

Snash 4 2016 Entrants -- 2637
Smash 4 2017 Entrants -- 1514

Melee 2016 entrants -- 2350
Melee 2017 entrants -- 1435

There are less entrants for EVO actoss the board. Which means less random people to enter Inj2. Did you really think the 1100 entrants for MKX were all our community? No. That included hundreds of players from other games. So when there are less people playing other games at EVO, we get less random entrants.

People didn't even read the other numbers because thety were so eager to find a reason to bash our community. This needs to stop.
Umm no.. The comparison was with 2015 not last year so the point still stands

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
Do evo numbers not directly correlate to a games likeability to a casual fan base?

We are somewhat hardcore because it's a forum but you cannot tell me there isn't a direct clear and apparent reason for why the numbers are down for a 2 months old release.

But hey inj2 numbers are fake news right?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Umm no.. The comparison was with 2015 not last year so the point still stands
Read the numbers -- both Smash games have less entrants than they had in 2015. SFV has barely more entrants in its second year than SF4 had when it'd been at EVO for years. BlazBlue has less entrants in 2017 than it did in 2014 even though the FGC has grown since then.

And even the top games are losing 50% from what they were in 2016 (we didn't).

The point is, this is a down year for EVO on the whole.

Last edited:

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
Read the numbers -- both Smash games have less entrants than they had in 2015. SFV has barely more entrants in its second year than SF4 had when it'd been at EVO for years. BlazBlue has less entrants in 2017 than it did in 2014 even though the FGC is actualy bigger.

And even the top games are losing 50% from what they were in 2016 (we didn't).

The point is, this is a down year for EVO on the whole.
Are we going to start counting numbers for every major now to validate the game? It's here who cares we gotta deal with for 2 years then were done

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Are we going to start counting numbers for every major now to validate the game? It's here who cares we gotta deal with for 2 years then were done
The point I'm trying to make that you're missing here, is that this is much bigger than us.

Just read the comments on Eventhubs writeup here:
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2017/jul/01/evo-2017-attendance-numbers-are-lets-see-how-years-entrants-compare-past-five-years/

People are arguing over the attendance numbers for multiple games this year and what they mean. This is not just an NRS thing.

Imo we're actually doing fine and everybody needs to chill out. We literally went from people making threads like "Should EVO even be a real major for our game" to complaining about having 800 entrants when SFV/Smash's numbers were practically cut in half in 1 year.

Also remember that Injustice 2 is 'new' but it's also legacy (a lot more directly connected gameplay-wise than say, SF4->SF5) so it can't be directly compared to the launch of MKX.

Last edited:
@CrimsonShadow does make a good point though. Evo numbers overall are pretty abysmal this time around, especially SFV taking a 50% drop from last year. Doesn't surprise me that injustice numbers are low compared to MKX considering an overall drop in registration. Add to the fact that finals are on a Saturday as well. There's obviously a number of reasons for the lack of entrants, I just feel the overall drop in registrants has more to do with it.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
This implies that nothing can affect whether or not a "serious competitor" is willing to spend their time and money to travel to an event. If you meant sponsored players, yeah they are going to go regardless, unless something personal happens that prevents them from going.
I think it's far more likely that people already knew how Injustice would play, because it's more or less the same gameplay engine as Injustice 1. So instead of 'wow brand new game', anyone outside our community that had already made up their mind about IGAU was more likely to carry that decision forward to Injustice 2.

MKX was a completely new game with completely new meta/gameplay and was treated as such.

But it's just generally hard to act like INJ2 is in a vacuum when other games have experenced such a drastic drop in entries as well.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
I think it's far more likely that people already knew how Injustice would play, because it's more or less the same gameplay engine as Injustice 1. So instead of 'wow brand new game', anyone outside our community that had already made up their mind about IGAU was more likely to carry that decision forward to Injustice 2.

MKX was a completely new game with completely new meta/gameplay and was treated as such.

But it's just generally hard to act like INJ2 is in a vacuum when other games have experenced such a drastic drop in entries as well.
That reminds me, why is there such a drastic difference between last years entry numbers and this years? If it's all across the board, that means, at least to some extent, it's has little to do with the games themselves. Putting aside me feeling there's other factors for Inj2 not being as high as it could have been, why are all these other games having fewer numbers as well? I know SFV was new last year and this year it isn't, but that's a ridiculous drop off. Is it at a new venue or something? I haven't looked into that part.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
MK is just more popular and draws in more players outside of faithful NRS ones. No reason to make excuses, it is what it is.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
Because it had one of the most legendary Top 8s in EVO history
That's not a good reason, it's not like it is guaranteed for another legendary moment to happen this year.

The point I'm trying to make that you're missing here, is that this is much bigger than us.

Just read the comments on Eventhubs writeup here:
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2017/jul/01/evo-2017-attendance-numbers-are-lets-see-how-years-entrants-compare-past-five-years/

People are arguing over the attendance numbers for multiple games this year and what they mean. This is not just an NRS thing.

Imo we're actually doing fine and everybody needs to chill out. We literally went from people making threads like "Should EVO even be a real major for our game" to complaining about having 800 entrants when SFV/Smash's numbers were practically cut in half in 1 year.

Also remember that Injustice 2 is 'new' but it's also legacy (a lot more directly connected gameplay-wise than say, SF4->SF5) so it can't be directly compared to the launch of MKX.

Well I guess we can look at the full half of the glass in that regard, also it does make sense what you're saying.

That reminds me, why is there such a drastic difference between last years entry numbers and this years? If it's all across the board, that means, at least to some extent, it's has little to do with the games themselves. Putting aside me feeling there's other factors for Inj2 not being as high as it could have been, why are all these other games having fewer numbers as well? I know SFV was new last year and this year it isn't, but that's a ridiculous drop off. Is it at a new venue or something? I haven't looked into that part.
That's because SFV have lost more and more of it's popularity considering how Capcom treated this game with all of the crap that happened with it.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Been a lot of news going back and forth.... did Injustice 2 ever get back onto the main stage for finals? Or is it still having the finals off stage?

Yup. This is what happens when everyone thought it was going to be 2/3, the 3/5 change wasn't really officially announced, Injustice 2 at EVO itself was hardly advertised, and the biggest issue is that finals are on Saturday. There's no reason Marvel or BB should be on Sunday over Injustice 2.
or mabe its just because MK is still bigger than injustice

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
In a way, you can't blame them... the players are going where the money is, especially now that sponsorships are so huge. Speaking of...
Ya you can blame them. Sponsored players can play more than one game. Marvel players are sponsored and the game has no money. Smash players are sponsored and sometimes the game gets no pot bonus. I get going where the money is buy you can play multiple games. Some of which having no insane pots. Sonicfox does it. Justin Wong does it other people do it. Its absurd to think that just cause you are sponsored means you shouldn't play multiple games if you like the game