What's new

injustice 2 is annoying me

like i get soo demotivated when i loss to a scrub that mashes everytime he can press buttons like i am plus and staggers are non existent against scrubs . i know that i am better as a player than that scrub . i tend to do better against good players since they dont disrespect plus frames and mash on staggers and they actually play the character the right way and i can follow my gameplan to that MU.

the only way to fix this is to add an ELO ranking system so i can play with people of my skill level.

Disrespecting plus frames is part of the game. If you're not punishing the mash with a frame trap or whiff punish then you're not outplaying the opponent.

I do with they'd add an ELO ranking system, though. That would indeed be great.
as a supergirl main its kinda hard to punish a mash since her d1 got nerfed. her fastest option is d2 which i would never do, low damage high risk.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
@megaman4321 Players are currently ranked by an arbitrary points system that has yet to be explained to us since 2011. If it ran only on W/L records or simply the number of wins, it would be inaccurate either way. Neither of these affect the matchmaking process. And honestly, those numbers wouldn't matter. You'll know the good players by their names when you find them, numbers be damned.

As for scrubs that mash, I disagree with staggers being nonexistent against them. They're mashing because they don't know any better.

But when an offline tournament placer is mashing against your plus frames? That's called disrespect, and it's just as important to let your opponent know that you won't play their game willingly, even if you end up getting hurt for it. They know you're plus, but they know that sometimes it's worth it to take a risk and end up on top.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
as a supergirl main its kinda hard to punish a mash since her d1 got nerfed. her fastest option is d2 which i would never do, low damage high risk.
Well, if that's the case then that's a weakness of the character you have chosen to use. Speaking generally though: if your frame trap is supposed to work like you said it should, then the nerf should not matter if you are indeed plus enough to frame trap with a D1.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
An ELO-based matchmaking system would be quite difficult to implement into a fighting game.

Let's assume I'm the best player in the world and that (in whatever algorithm) I'm the best; who should the system match me with when I enter matchmaking?

The guy whose W/L is 0.4 (but he plays long sets with Sonicfox every single day), or the online warrior who pub stomps most of the casuals who bought this game and has a 1000-0 record?

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
An ELO-based matchmaking system would be quite difficult to implement into a fighting game.

Let's assume I'm the best player in the world and that (in whatever algorithm) I'm the best; who should the system match me with when I enter matchmaking?

The guy whose W/L is 0.4 (but he plays long sets with Sonicfox every single day), or the online warrior who pub stomps most of the casuals who bought this game and has a 1000-0 record?
If it's ranked you wouldn't fight Sonic every single day. You'd lose from your initial skill rating quite quickly and then have to fight people in the same bracket as you and as close to your skill rating as possible.

So if lets say Sonic Fox is at 4,200 SR (out of 5,000 - like Overwatch). And for some reason I am also placed at 4,200 SR (lmaooo). We would be considered an even match, so at first every time we fight I would lose say 20 points. But once I drop my SR to 3,900 and below. I'm in a different tier of skill, so I would only get matched with players around 3,500 - 3,900. If I continue to lose, I will drop to the next bracket until I am able to sustain my SR.

Essentially, this means you will only fight players in your bracket and if you continue to win in your skill bracket then you will progress to fight the next tier of players.

I always thought SFV's system was an ELO based matchmaking system but if there's a slight difference then I wouldn't know of it lol.

If They beat You then... You are the scrub. Make no excuses man... They were superior to You in some way. If They are masters of short combos or even a button... that's what They have above You. Look!. I used to think like You... The experience prove me wrong.

ya your right. i tend to over complicate my self fighting those types of people. i just have to not try against them.

Sazbak

Noob
I hate how the word 'disrespect' is used in the FGC. It's like we are talking about respect in the traditional, positive sense of the word. In fighting games disrespect is a completely neutral word so when someone mashes during your plus frames they are not looking down on you or trying to piss you off, they're just trying their best to win. It's possible they just read you and realised you're trying to get away with something that's not covered by your plus frames.
In this way it's you are the one who is disrespecting them because using a 9 frame move while only being in +2 can be countered by a 6-7f poke.
I am also sometimes guilty of getting angry when someone 'disrespects' me so I know the feeling but I'm trying to change my mindset about it.
Good players are good players because they can handle both the scrubs and each other as well.
Just because you are more in resonance with the thought-pattern of a good player it doesn't mean you are on the same level.

"the only way to fix this is to add an ELO ranking system so i can play with people of my skill level."

Or you adapt to the thought-pattern of the scrub instead of trying to play like you saw pros play against each other during tournaments. Stagger less and frame trap/whiff punish more.
With Supergirl you could try doing 112 - bf3, neutral jump, throw, mb laser, walk back and whiff punish or even staggering after 11 etc.

This is the classic thing that happens to a lot of beginner poker player. They try to imitate how the pros play so they do fancy bluffs left and right against weak players(fish) who just call their bluffs because they want to see the next card.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
If it's ranked you wouldn't fight Sonic every single day. You'd lose from your initial skill rating quite quickly and then have to fight people in the same bracket as you and as close to your skill rating as possible.

So if lets say Sonic Fox is at 4,200 SR (out of 5,000 - like Overwatch). And for some reason I am also placed at 4,200 SR (lmaooo). We would be considered an even match, so at first every time we fight I would lose say 20 points. But once I drop my SR to 3,900 and below. I'm in a different tier of skill, so I would only get matched with players around 3,500 - 3,900. If I continue to lose, I will drop to the next bracket until I am able to sustain my SR.

Essentially, this means you will only fight players in your bracket and if you continue to win in your skill bracket then you will progress to fight the next tier of players.

I always thought SFV's system was an ELO based matchmaking system but if there's a slight difference then I wouldn't know of it lol.
I really like the way the Overwatch team does things. If it worked like that, I can see it being implemented, though not without a challenge. How would this system know how many points to award or deduct from a player?

For that matter, what would happen over the course of the game's lifetime when most players graduate to whatever triple-A title comes out? Would we be stuck facing the same declining pool of opponents as before? Lots of people play Overwatch and lots of people play fighting games, but there are more returning players, I feel, on the OW servers who play for the fun of it every day. Learning a character in a fighting game is quite a commitment.

protools27

Rebel without a scene
like i get soo demotivated when i loss to a scrub that mashes everytime he can press buttons like i am plus and staggers are non existent against scrubs . i know that i am better as a player than that scrub . i tend to do better against good players since they dont disrespect plus frames and mash on staggers and they actually play the character the right way and i can follow my gameplan to that MU.

the only way to fix this is to add an ELO ranking system so i can play with people of my skill level.
It used to bother me when someone that presses buttons when they are not technically supposed to be pressing buttons, still does bother me at times.

What I found was that, to be frank, I wasn't quite as good of a player as I thought I was. Yea, this other person was abusing situations and pressing buttons when they shouldn't, but in reality, isn't it me that is letting this happen? If this player is truly abusing frames and generally not playing as one would think, shouldn't that make them all the easier to beat?

That is really just a long way of me saying that I saw a lot of growth in my play when I stopped thinking that I was losing to scrubs because they just weren't playing the right way, but rather because I wasn't playing as well as I could have been and people were abusing it.

I would recommend:

Focus on adapting during the match (ie, this person likes to poke when they are minus all the time)

Oki/execution. focus on making your timing on point all the time and not leaving damage or set up potential on the table.

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
Basically what everyone said, if people are mashing out of plus frames you are actually able to guarantee, then you're not enforcing your plus frames correctly. But then again, latency is always a thing so that might be another reason that you're missing your plus frames. If I find myself being overwhelmed by a masher I just play the patient game until they present an opening, like doing D2 on block. Just something I know I can punish easily and then rinse and repeat.

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
There's actually a lot of players who disrespect + frame moves. Top players included if know their advantages/disadvantages. They're taking the risks of being frame trapped, but in this case, they don't care. They either don't know, willing to take the risk or don't care about your advantage because you're not doing what needs to be done to stop them. You have to be the one who stops it by frame trapping them. If you're not making the adjustment of frame trapping them, then that's on you man. Why should they stop doing what they're doing when you're not adjusting? Just like why should you stop frame trapping or meatying players when they keep hitting buttons?

Could be online latency too.

Also, Sazbak said this earlier, but Supergirl's 112 isn't +3. It's +2 with the adjustment that they did to it. If it was +3, then her d1 (9 frames), would end up being 6 frames, but it ends up being 7. 7 framers trade. So characters with a 6 frame low can still poke her, but you can backdash then whiff punish, neutral jump then nj3 (in the corner), special cancel like mb breath/down laser/bf3, or frame trap with b1, f2, or standing 2. Her frame traps varies now since d1 got nerfed. You have to see when she can use it properly against each character who does/doesn't have a 6 or 7 frame mid or low. They probably knew that, so they kept mashing you out. Have to condition them in d1s now. The nerf does suck since it's not a completely reliable poke, but it is what it is. Either way, the issues that you're having can be fixed assuming that it wasn't online screwing you.

Last edited:

Zionix

AKA Ponkster
There is a skill in containing the randomness. This is made even harder when players have access to large stages, corner escapes, invincible wake-ups that can be safe or even plus, projectile with very little counter play.

In injustice 2 so many moves can be thrown out with little repercussion, that players don't learn how to be fundamentally sound or even patient.

Players just do what works best for them against the average player in a ranked system with no skill rating.

Its like being at 150k BP on Dragonball or bronze on SFV; you aren't playing the game properly, just punishing poor move choices over and over, main difference being in these games panic moves can be punished a lot harder in general.

The learning curve to being successful, is understanding what are the bad options (risk) from your opponent and acting upon them being used with the correct options/reversals and that takes time to learn, especially with so many characters; mashing your best moves randomly is far easier alternative for most players.

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
I enjoy spamming D1 out of F23xxDB2

I didn't even have to say what character since everyone can probably guess who it is

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!

scrub scrub scrub scrub scrub scrub

Do you hear yourself?

By what logic does losing make you the superior player?

If you lose to "mashing" it's your fault.

Calm your bitch tits and start winning if you're so much better than they are.