What's new

INJ2 is on its death bed. It's time for gear.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Not one front page thread is INJ2 related. The game is all but dead and is in desperate need of some sort of kick in the ass to refresh it. We aren't getting any more DLC or patches (most likely), but there's still a lot of untapped stuff within the game that we already have.

I realize the gear system is super broken, but who cares? I'd like to see what the top players can do with some of this stuff. I'd watch the shit out of a gear tourney with everything unlocked.

Also, speaking of unlockables, the fucking game has been out for nearly a year and a half and I STILL haven't gotten a Staff of Grayson to drop and a ton of other abilities. All gear abilities should just be unlocked for everyone at this point, should they choose to do so. I paid for the full game and all DLC, I'd like to be able to at least check out the extra abilities within the game.

INJ2 is without question the most balanced NRS fighter in history, but people love broken shit, too. Let me see what someone like Big D could do with Pukey on the screen the entire match. Let me see what Sonic would do to deal with that.

The lack of info from NRS on their next project is killing me and I'm grasping at straws here trying to think of a topic of discussion. I know introducing gear is probably a shitty idea, but at least it's related to an NRS game, unlike 90% of the stuff I see here when I check the site on occasion.

I'm sure people are aware but Honey Bee has hosted a handful of Gear Ability KOTH's with high level players that are actually really fun to watch....

He streamed another Gear Koth last night with Sonic, Semiij, Rewind etc

I think what's so fun about these videos is how much fun they're having with the game. Yeah some of the shit's broke but who cares, it's fun to watch.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Took me like 2 months of grinding Robin against the AI to unlock Staff of Grayson. I literally unlocked all his other abilities before it. It was the very last unlock. And that was like after grinding Wowo for months.

I think it won't just drop randomly. It will be the last one you have to unlock for Robin.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
There could be side tournaments for gear, online or off, that’s fine. But as a replacement? Nope. The gear isn’t balanced with competitive play in mind. Also, not everyone has all gear, most people don’t in fact. So there’s not a reliable, consistent way to even practice MU’s.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think @John Grizzly was suggesting they incorporate gear abilities into official tournaments but would like to see a huge feature of this game actual utilized. I agree with him, think of how much work NRS put into that just for it to go to waste. I would definitely watch a Clash @Mr Aquaman or some sort of small tournament with high level players and a bunch of busted abilities.I feel Grizz is low key getting blown up for no reason, lol.

Last edited:

Error

DF2+R2
Took me like 2 months of grinding Robin against the AI to unlock Staff of Grayson. I literally unlocked all his other abilities before it. It was the very last unlock. And that was like after grinding Wowo for months.

I think it won't just drop randomly. It will be the last one you have to unlock for Robin.
Nah, it just takes longer for IGAU Nightwing players because you were devils, I unlocked it after my first online victory

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
game is done, let them breath new life into it instead of trying to keep the competitive scene in a deathgrip

:DOGE
They can try to do whatever they want. But that’s the problem, THEY have to do it. Otherwise, you have to convince the actual tournament players and TO’s of this. And I don’t see that happening, because of what I already mentioned.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
If you don't like the game, new skins or adding gear to competitive mode isn't going to make it be your new guilty pleasure. We just need to stop fooling ourselves.

I kept telling myself new content would help with a certain prior NRS title, it worked for a week or two but since I didn't like the core game as a whole, I was never satisfied with it and the same thing is going to be the case for folks and this game.

Temp

Salmon. Otters. The Bringer.
I don't think gear is the remedy. There is something to be said about broken games being fun, but you need a really big community to make that work. Making a broken game fun/interesting takes a lot of work, a lot of digging, and an insurmountable amount of patience. I feel it's just too late for that.

Even if it wasn't, the stuff people don't like will still be there. People have been arguing all day about whether Injustice's problems are legitimate or scrub complaints... but it doesn't matter. People just don't wanna play the game. Almost all the complaints about SFV are legitimate (yay for the lag fix, though), yet people are still playing it. I hate Rage Arts and every single Hwoarang player who's ever lived... but I'm still playing Tekken.

I don't know what the solution is for Injustice 2. I give props to Grizzly for at least proposing some sort of solution. This at least is the correct approach. Identifying a problem and trying to solve it makes so much more sense than arguing endlessly about whether people are right or wrong about zoning. Or whether IJ2 combo execution is dull. Hella dull. It's so fucking dull.

Dull.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think @John Grizzly was suggesting they incorporate gear abilities into official tournaments but would like to see a huge feature of this game actual utilized. I agree with him, think of how much work NRS put into that just for it to go to waste. I would definitely watch a Clash @Mr Aquaman or some sort of small tournament with high level players and a bunch of busted abilities.I feel Grizz is low key getting blown up for no reason, lol.
Right. I'm not suggesting we replace the competitive version of the game for gear, but it would be super fun to just have a side tournament streamed with some good players. The Clash would be perfect.

I don't know why people thought I was suggesting we just kill the competitive version of the game. I'm not saying that at all.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
I like the idea of some "abilities on" side tournaments, although it would still need some kind of regulation to keep it competitive and interesting, not just a spamfest of the most broken moves.

I just wonder if NRS has kneecapped themselves on this one though. To get what you're after, you'd have to unlock all the abilities for everyone, and that would mean all the months of grinding players have done to unlock them would have been for nothing. It's kind of a ridiculous irony, but you know how people are: Even though everybody hates the gear system and wishes it didn't exist, people will still lose their shit if you give away something for free that they had to earn. I don't see that NRS could pull it off without alienating half the player base they still have left.

Maybe if they made it an unlock you had to buy with cash? Some people would still be pissed (damn you greedy capitalists!), but at least then the grinding would retain some value (you get to keep for free whatever you've already unlocked, and just pay for what you haven't).