What's new

Initial Impressions

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Movement needs a buff.

Walk speed is okay but walk startup is janky as fuck. Its like playing vanilla MK1. Can't really shuffle in this game

Jump speed is good but jump startup needs to be faster. Hard to jump over projectiles.

Also ffs give us private matches or training mode or like anything, I just wanna learn how to play a LITTLE bit...

Gamer68

Fujin!
Can we talk about how damn good the netcode for this game is? I played a bunch of 200~ ping matches and the vast majority of them ran pretty decent. Only times when it gets bad is if the ping is above 200 or on wifi.
I played on Wifi against other Wifi players. Most of my matches were around 80ms and felt completely fine. This game has some Killer Instinct-level netcode. The game was only jittery if I was playing with someone with a completely unstable and horrendous connection, we're talking about someone who's connection keeps jumping from 90ms-150ms.

Obviously I'm not trying to say that Wifi is an acceptable option for Ranked and Tournament play. Wired is absolutely more stable and thus the better option. But in my experience so far, Wifi play hasn't been bad (as long as the opponent's connection isn't garbo) and seems to actually be fine for casual matches. Again, most of my matches were a pretty consistent 80ms and that was against other wifi players most of the time.

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
One thing that caught my attention is that Scorpion's "Misery Blade" stance might be a problem against newbies. It seemed really strong, in this no-training mode environment. I couldn't really figure out any effective counter-play against it, other than block the the mix-up or escape a throw attempt.

Derwood1979

Professional Procrastinator
Movement needs a buff.

Walk speed is okay but walk startup is janky as fuck. Its like playing vanilla MK1. Can't really shuffle in this game

Jump speed is good but jump startup needs to be faster. Hard to jump over projectiles.

Also ffs give us private matches or training mode or like anything, I just wanna learn how to play a LITTLE bit...
It's not for you to learn to play, it's a stress test.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
I'm stuck watching other people play... which I've been doing... for hours now... and I have to say, again, not for the last time:

This game LOOKS SO GOD DAMN GOOD. How does it look so god damn good?! I could just watch people fight for hours. The animations are that beautiful.

MK11 Scorpion might actually be the most faithful/authentic/exciting looking depiction of a ninja fight style that I've ever seen in any work of fiction. Obviously other than shit that's actually trying to depict reality. But Scorpion is like on the exact perfect line between reality and fiction, where it feels both real and bad-ass at the same time. Fucking mesmerizing.

Spinky

Restless Dreamer
Honestly, I'm kind of loving this. It's already more my kind of game than MKX ever was.

Really like all the new mechanics and the fact that you really have to think while playing. Feel like it's almost forcing me to play smart, which is great.

Plus Baraka might not be ass tier this time? Good shit, man.

JSF

Waiting for Injustice 3
Baraka is easily the best character of the three, he doesnt even have to play neutral really, scorpion can say fuck neutral and teleport but he's always unsafe. baraka....idk how to punish him without a fast mid but those usually dont lead to as much damage. shit is mad fun tho like hella fun playing footsies

pure.Wasted

My biggest complaint from watching the first day of games: the Scorp/Skarlet dialogue that goes

"You remind me of Quan Chi."
"My magic rivals his."
"I find you both loathsome."

Should have been

"My magic rivals his."
"I killed Quan Chi."

That's my biggest beef with MK11 so far.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
Loving the game but what's with all the declines and quitters in a stress test?

I can tell already that noobs to MK and fighting games in general are going to get smashed.

Game seems very footsie and whiff punish oriented which I love.

I played against a few WIFI players and haven't had the best experience. I'm running 1 gig down and 500 up and some of the games are unbearable even though the ping is good.

Skarlet is love btw

Last edited:

pure.Wasted

oh also fuck the dumb fucking win% thing. 4 out of every 5 people refuse to play me in casual matches in a freaking stress test cause my win rate % is too high and they are scared. That shit needs to go.
Why is there a record for casual matches at all? It's advertised as a "low stakes match" on the exact same screen that shows what the stakes are, your public record that everyone will see. LOL.

This is a competitive game. Your public record is literally the highest stakes possible.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
My biggest complaint from watching the first day of games: the Scorp/Skarlet dialogue that goes

"My magic rivals his."
"I find you both loathsome."

Should have been

"My magic rivals his."
"I killed Quan Chi."

That's my biggest beef with MK11 so far.
Unfortunately I think they'll be making intro dialogue work for all versions of characters, so Scorpion may not say he killed Quan Chi because old timeline Scorpion never got around to that yet. Would still be worth it for the dialogue though.

And on the win record thing, it gives new players a chance to bail when they obviously will lose. People are petty with it but if it's your first match and the opponent has 600 wins then declining is probably the best option. But yeah the win percentage is whack it just makes people quit

pure.Wasted

Unfortunately I think they'll be making intro dialogue work for all versions of characters
Problem is Scorpion never found Quan Chi loathsome until after he came back to life, so the Scorpion interacting with Skarlet must be at least from MKX if not MK11. So that's already not the case even just re: this exact quote, right?

I get why you said this though. Between the timeline-vague character bios, and some of the other intros, it does feel like they're deliberately trying to be vague sometimes.

If they give you training mode then that's a ton of hours spent by people offline which isn't the point
That and the talks of people not playing games because of a high win ratio.

If it's to preserve their W/L then they're idiots, it'll get wiped on release. And if it's so they don't lose now, they're idiots. The point of the stress test is to test the netcode. Having people decline matches sort of defeats the whole purpose of it.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Problem is Scorpion never found Quan Chi loathsome until after he came back to life, so the Scorpion interacting with Skarlet must be at least from MKX if not MK11. So that's already not the case even just re: this exact quote, right?

I get why you said this though. Between the timeline-vague character bios, and some of the other intros, it does feel like they're deliberately trying to be vague sometimes.
Scorpion hated Quan Chi ever since MK4, while he was still an undead Spectre.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
The biggest change you'll notice when playing is how the game feels slow, like the movement overall as everyone was saying, but it's really really smooth and feels great.
From what I've herd watching other play it is it's akin to MK9 speed and MKX was just much faster than most. Would you agree?

Very disappointed in the lack of training mode. For the first hour or so of downloading the stress test I was thrust into matches w people who somehow knew every combo and every mix-up in the game when I'm still memorizing special moves. Scorpion has an overused teleport move that every Scorpion player I've fought against in my 8 hours of playing just spams (painfully similar to MKX). Every Skarlett player I've fought against spams the high-low blood scythe attack combo. While these moves are easy to counter, it reduces the gameplay to being very repetitive. Not to mention the wakeups are extremely inconsistent. If I'm going up against a projectile spamming Baraka, it's difficult to close the distance and attack without a run/armored dash like in MKX. Without a run button, the only way to close distance in a match is to jump, but even that is not reliable cause you can just get uppercutted all the way across the map and then it's back to playing dodge with the projectiles. Keep in mind - in terms of MK games I would consider myself maybe a step above a "casual" player. I played a lot of MK games in my time but I never wanted to get to the point where I can easily do the one or two biggest combo strings that does the most amount of damage cause I find that boring, so maybe my frustrations stem from this game being designed for more hardcore fighting game players (At least compared to MKX). I enjoy the slower pace of the gameplay itself, and the customization looks very promising (Does anyone know how extensive the weapon/clothing system will be? I'm very worried every character will be limited to 5 items for each category, I thought it'd be more varied like Injustice 2 but I'm assuming we're limited to 5 just until the full game comes out). Even if I'm not currently a fan of the overall gameplay, I know for a fact that the story mode and all the other content in this game will be worth it.