What's new

Independent Shang vs Soul Stealing Shang

This has been on my mind lately and i want to get the community's opinion on this, i play shang tsung from time to time, tho it being rare now and days, i classify myself as a soul stealing shang rather then spend most of my match in basic form i rather stay in mirror form, because i know damn near the whole mk cast, therefore i feel i can go toe to toe with any character my opponent is using, i feel like for this reason (depending on how much knowledge the soul stealing shang has in using the cast) that the SS shang can go 5-5 maybe even better in matchups, dont get me wrong my fundamentals with basic shang is pretty good to, but i feel to bring out the most in the character u have to know the whole cast, and im not just talking about 1 simple bread n butter for each, i feel like an SS shang would come out on top more so the a basic one, now im not saying every opponent u face u have to soul steal because in some matches shang already has the upper-hand in basic form, but in those he does not i feel its necessary to keep the match up even, well known shang users i would like ur opinion on this.

AYSAMO

Noob
If you aren't using soul steal you're handicapping yourself. The main benefit of Shang's SS is say you morph into kitana or kabal, you can trade projectiles and win because you do double damage. After a SS I usually play very safe and just try to trade. It's also a great move to just throw out like Ermac's push. it has good recovery, is fast, and if you get the SS it's something like 12% free damage plus a damage boost. You shouldn't be playing Shang if you're not comfortable with SSing honestly.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
This has been on my mind lately and i want to get the community's opinion on this, i play shang tsung from time to time, tho it being rare now and days, i classify myself as a soul stealing shang rather then spend most of my match in basic form i rather stay in mirror form, because i know damn near the whole mk cast, therefore i feel i can go toe to toe with any character my opponent is using, i feel like for this reason (depending on how much knowledge the soul stealing shang has in using the cast) that the SS shang can go 5-5 maybe even better in matchups, dont get me wrong my fundamentals with basic shang is pretty good to, but i feel to bring out the most in the character u have to know the whole cast, and im not just talking about 1 simple bread n butter for each, i feel like an SS shang would come out on top more so the a basic one, now im not saying every opponent u face u have to soul steal because in some matches shang already has the upper-hand in basic form, but in those he does not i feel its necessary to keep the match up even, well known shang users i would like ur opinion on this.
SS is definitely better when you know most or all of the cast. However, the move's drawbacks are that : 1) you are only morphed for a few seconds so it is difficult to really play the character properly 2) it's a mirror match so more randomness ensues 3) the SS itself can leave you at disadvantage on HIT which is death against a good pressure character, alongside the fact that Shang is vulnerable to being comboed when he morphs back. It is definitely worth knowing how to play Shang as Shang because his game is more solid and easier to strategize with than the SS wild card. SS is good but don't overrate it- he does not get that much better with it imo.

Kevo

Formerly Kevo8390
I think the soul steal is really important in shangs overall spacing game. I see it used best to check people and setup zoning. You should know enough about the cast to hold your own but I think you should only end combos in it if you feel very confident with that character.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
SS is definitely better when you know most or all of the cast. However, the move's drawbacks are that : 1) you are only morphed for a few seconds so it is difficult to really play the character properly 2) it's a mirror match so more randomness ensues 3) the SS itself can leave you at disadvantage on HIT which is death against a good pressure character, alongside the fact that Shang is vulnerable to being comboed when he morphs back. It is definitely worth knowing how to play Shang as Shang because his game is more solid and easier to strategize with than the SS wild card. SS is good but don't overrate it- he does not get that much better with it imo.
If the soul steal made you morph for at least like 30 seconds, that would be really nice haha

EMP Dark

Noob
I used to be a independent shang cause i only knew a limited amount of characters. Until i got blown up for it by characters like Kabal & Kenshi. I noticed then i had to change up my game so i been picking up characters left & right just getting the basics down with them. Now i'd say i've switched up & now am a soul stealing shang since i know like 95% of the roster lol.

I used to be a independent shang cause i only knew a limited amount of characters. Until i got blown up for it by characters like Kabal & Kenshi. I noticed then i had to change up my game so i been picking up characters left & right just getting the basics down with them. Now i'd say i've switched up & now am a soul stealing shang since i know like 95% of the roster lol.
But you only put it into full force aainst chars ur at disadvantage in right?

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
If the soul steal made you morph for at least like 30 seconds, that would be really nice haha
lol yea it would be nice. My changes would be to first of all fix the broken properties on hit and morph back and then to take away the damage boost so that he can be morphed for longer.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I mained shang when the game came out...now I want to go back since I know more characters then before. Pig is also my sparring partner so thats another reason. He has a weakness for shang. lol
WoundCowboy you know what I'm talking about.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
lol yea it would be nice. My changes would be to first of all fix the broken properties on hit and morph back and then to take away the damage boost so that he can be morphed for longer.
But damage boost is the best part :p lol. It's awesome when you steal somebody's soul and than end up hitting an X-ray right after, it will be like 45% haha.

EMP Dark

Noob
But you only put it into full force aainst chars ur at disadvantage in right?
Yeah bruh like when i play overpowered chars like Kabal, Kenshi, Sonya etc... I abuse the hell outta SS cause let's keep it real it don't matter how good u are as a independent shang. U will get blown up by those chars just stayin as shang the whole time in his bad mu's.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I wonder if Shang can use the void setup while morphed as Scorpion and use his own 50/50 to OTG after he morphs back..

Granted it's risky for Shang anyway since Scorp is one of the few characters that can exploit a free punish during the morphback frames if the real Scorpion spears him first lol :p

Yeah bruh like when i play overpowered chars like Kabal, Kenshi, Sonya etc... I abuse the hell outta SS cause let's keep it real it don't matter how good u are as a independent shang. U will get blown up by those chars just stayin as shang the whole time in his bad mu's.
to be honest i think shang gives kabal a hard time as it is

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I think I might be the only Shang player that uses SS as my main combo ender. Getting beast chip damage or a d4-throw for 20% is tasty.

But like Wound mentioned, characters that can exploit the morph back with resets are very dangerous to morph into if you don't have a breaker. It also doesn't make sense to morph into a character that Shang is at an advantage over in the MU.

I do feel that the best way to beat Shang's bad MU's is to morph into them every chance you get.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
But damage boost is the best part :p lol. It's awesome when you steal somebody's soul and than end up hitting an X-ray right after, it will be like 45% haha.
WoundCowboy did this to me in tournament :( that was embarassing

On topic I think shang NEEDs to use SS. If the opponent has no fear of you ever using SS as a check then it frees up a lot of their game.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
WoundCowboy did this to me in tournament :( that was embarassing

On topic I think shang NEEDs to use SS. If the opponent has no fear of you ever using SS as a check then it frees up a lot of their game.
haha yea it was pretty boss :D I definitely agree that SS should be used often because it is his best footsie tool. My point is that it is not as good as some people might think when it hits.

Winter

Alfred Hitchcock reincarnated.
When i use Kabal against Shang, if they morph into kabal and I get a combo, after I finish with F4, I can immediately do b121 to get another combo. Using SS with Shang has a lot of risks TBH

haha yea it was pretty boss :D I definitely agree that SS should be used often because it is his best footsie tool. My point is that it is not as good as some people might think when it hits.
i think the biggest fear for u wound is the fact that in the point of morphback shang is punishable but lbsh a punish is gonna be rare if u know how to manage the ss once it hits, it all comes down to know when to go in and when to back off at a distance to where u will be safe from harm during morphback frames, i think SS is if not one of the best moves in mk9

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
i think the biggest fear for u wound is the fact that in the point of morphback shang is punishable but lbsh a punish is gonna be rare if u know how to manage the ss once it hits, it all comes down to know when to go in and when to back off at a distance to where u will be safe from harm during morphback frames, i think SS is if not one of the best moves in mk9
LBSH shang Tsung is the best character idea they have ever had. And his play style is just as good.

EMP Dark

Noob
When i use Kabal against Shang, if they morph into kabal and I get a combo, after I finish with F4, I can immediately do b121 to get another combo. Using SS with Shang has a lot of risks TBH
See that's the thing when i use shang & morph into kabal. I never do risky shit vs him i just sit back & zone & wait for the kabal player to fuck up then i get a full combo out of it cause 9/10 that usually what happens.

EMPEROR_THEO

I only use characters with wakeup scoops.
If you are better than your opponent at the character they use, then Shang Tsung is one of the scariest characters to verse.