What's new

Improving your game

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The first thing you need to realize is that you're not going to be good at a game by default. If a new game comes out, or if you're trying a different game and you suck at it, get in line. You can't start out expecting to be good at anything. Sure, some people have natural talent, but even with natural talent, you still need just as much practice as the next person.

The Human Mind: We are all alike

I'd like to quickly touch on a subject of the human mind. We all have alot of things in common when it comes to our minds. As well as many other things. We're all equally as human as the next person. I've seen great players labeled as "robots" or "aliens" due to their impressive skill in their respective game. This is actually not good to do. What you're doing is putting these players on an unreachable level. It's a, "I will never be on a level of that of a robot, I am only human" type of attitude. This is counter productive. While it's ok to realize the skill level of another player, or even praise said player, it's not ok to think that you will never be able to obtain such a skill level. We are all humans, and we have human brains. There is no one who is so skilled that they've elevated normal human abilities, though it could very well seem that way.

Starting out a new game

Before you even start a learning a new game, you must have the right attitude. Having the wrong attitude will severely hinder you progress, and will prevent you from improving. Tips on just this subject are right here in this fourm - http://www.mortalkombatempires.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72 Once you have the correct mind-set, then you can continue to the next step.

1. Understanding of basic/non-special moves(down + HP = uppercut)
2. Special move proficiency and consistency
3. Spacial relationship of your chosen character
4. Bread and Butter combos and consistent execution of them in practice scenarios
5. Playing people of all skill levels to gauge who can beat, and where you need improvement(and what the other players are doing to beat you)
6. Advanced combos and consistent execution of them in practice scenarios
7. Learning when/where to use what combos(B&B/Advancded) in real gameplay
8. Headgames, what works, what doesn't, and what fools you
9. Baits and avoiding them
10. Put it all together and be prepared to be merciless in game

In my experience, after you learn your normals and specials the next thing you should learn in fighting games is basic combos, or BnB (Bread and Butter) combos. This will help you get acquainted with the games mechanics, while learning to do decent damaging combos. Learning combos early on will help with your execution later on.

After you get some basic combos down that you can get without thinking about them, this is when you learn all the games mechanics. The ins and outs if you will. It's rediculous to expect to learn all there is to learn about a game, in such a short period of time. However, you need to get as familiar as possible and as comfortable as possible, before moving on.

One basic game mechanic that alot of people don't really practice enough is blocking. It comes second nature, so people just write it off. My biggest breakthrough in fighting games is when I learned the value of blocking, and blocking correctly. My advice is to play some people, and just practice blocking the whole match. You will probably lose, but that doesn't matter. You will lose, and will lose alot when learning to improve your game.

This brings me to my next step, "Learn to Lose". You need to understand that losing is good, very good. You learn an invaluable amount from losing, compared to winning or even in general. I must stress that all these beginning tips are not necessarily "playing to win", but moreso "playing to learn". Anyway, you need to lose, but don't lose on purpose. Try your hardest to win, and analyze why you did not. Experiment with different tactics, combos, and the like. Understand what your opponent is doing, and how to avoid it or defend against it. Don't panic, if you get in a situation and you can't get out of it and have no idea what to do, just try anything and everything you can. There's rarely such tactics that are unbeatable, and most only seem unbeatable, that's your opponents goal. He wants you to think that you have no other option but to do X. X can be to jump, block, throw, use a projectile/super, etc. Remember this, if you're not losing, you're not learning.

Now on to some playing to win tips, NOT playing to learn.

Offense, Defense, and Consistency/Execution

All of these are important steps on improving.

Offense: A strategy and tactics employed when in position to score.

When you go on the offensive, you make people choose. This should be your goal, force them to make mistakes. However, there is such a thing as reckless. This is not what you want. You want controlled aggression. Putting unrelentless pressure on your opponent WHILE having a defense ready and still studying your opponents every move is a vital tool to master. Be prepared for anything while being aggressive. Only do combos you know without a doubt you can do. Don't try new things, new things can be done when you're learning, not in serious matches.

Defense: The action of defending or protecting from attack, danger, or injury.

Remember when I was discussing blocking? Blocking is essential to every players arsenal. Just refer back to what I was saying about blocking.

Consistency: Of a regularly occurring, dependable nature; reliable.

Consistency is found in that work whose whole and detail are suitable to the occasion. It arises from circumstance, custom, and nature. Being consistant is crucial to success. However, you do need variety.

Execute: To carry out; to put into effect;

Execution is important. Too many times have matches been lost due to poor execution. Practice practice practice, it makes for the best execution. Your execution need to be of second nature. Instead of it being execution, it turns into memory.

Ok, now onto more on improving.

Play good players

When you play good players, they force you to not make mistakes. What I mean is, if make you a mistake against a good player, you will be punished for it. Where as if you played a not so good player, you might be left off the hook occasionally. Constantly playing good/better players really improves your game. However, if you're not learning anything from losing to them, you may want to play players more on your level.

Play players on your skill level

This is where you can test your progress. After learning the game, this is where you should start. But not for long. Playing players on your level is important, however, if you only play players on your level, you will never improve. They won't force you to play your best, where as a good player would. I'd say, play good/better players 85% of the time, and play players on your level 15% of the time.

Playing OFFLINE
Again, another topic that has always been debated. I understand that online play(especially for MK games) has a convenience level that offline doesn't, but then games online should be taken as casual and never serious competative games. That doesn't mean don't play your best or don't try hard. What it means is, don't gauge your entire game on your online games. Lag plays a major factor and some people are better at reading it than others(though both players may be of the same skill level)... When possible, if you can't play offline, try to use p2p kaillera with as low a ping as possible, or something like 2df which have far better online results than something like XBL... which leads me to the next topic...

Playing in tournaments
Simply put, this is the best way to truly test your skill and ability in a game. Not convenient, but then again, it's not exactly convenient for a major league ball player to travel from city to city to try to prove his team is the best either. The fact is, to be the best, you have to show up to tournaments and beat whomever is there... then, and only then will you begin to develop a reputation for backing up words with action.

Don't be a Keyboard Cowboy
This simply won't improve your game. It will actually be counter-productive and make people not want to associate with you... which will, in-turn lower the amount of players you have access to. Play, be kind, be polite and enjoy the game.

Credits to 9.95 for some of these tips

ALSO! What have you done to improve your game, or what do you do? Post responses please!

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
I am going to go ahead and admit that I am a scrub by definition and have been since day one. This is something that I am trying to break free of, but I still feel in the state.

When I am playing someone and they are defeating me, I sometimes get very desperate and do very predictable moves hoping that I'll execute damage.

Sometimes I can sit back and get out of that mindset and I will come very close to winning or I will win, but again... alot of times I go about winning the totally wrong way.

Noob
Juggs, most of what you have put down is great for inspiring people to do their best, but I do disagree with one part.

When starting a new game, learning combos is not the most important thing: Move proficiency is. How can we learn to do combos if we can't throw fireballs or harpoons consistently?

I think that when learning a new game, the order is:

1. Understanding of basic/non-special moves(down + HP = uppercut)
2. Special move proficiency and consistency
3. Spacial relationship of your chosen character
4. Bread and Butter combos and consistent execution of them in practice scenarios
5. Playing people of all skill levels to gauge who can beat, and where you need improvement(and what the other players are doing to beat you)
6. Advanced combos and consistent execution of them in practice scenarios
7. Learning when/where to use what combos(B&B/Advancded) in real gameplay
8. Headgames, what works, what doesn't, and what fools you
9. Baits and avoiding them
10. Put it all together and be prepared to be merciless in game

There are a few other things I'll add.

Learn to play on a stick
This is, has been, and will continue to be a topic for debate. A stick provides you full range of motion for your wrist on the the stick and access to all buttons with your other hand with no strange hand/wrist contortions to hit any buttons. Transitioning may be difficult, but two full hands are better than 2 thumbs on any given day.

Playing OFFLINE
Again, another topic that has always been debated. I understand that online play(especially for MK games) has a convenience level that offline doesn't, but then games online should be taken as casual and never serious competative games. That doesn't mean don't play your best or don't try hard. What it means is, don't gauge your entire game on your online games. Lag plays a major factor and some people are better at reading it than others(though both players may be of the same skill level)... When possible, if you can't play offline, try to use p2p kaillera with as low a ping as possible, or something like 2df which have far better online results than something like XBL... which leads me to the next topic...

Playing in tournaments
Simply put, this is the best way to truly test your skill and ability in a game. Not convenient, but then again, it's not exactly convenient for a major league ball player to travel from city to city to try to prove his team is the best either. The fact is, to be the best, you have to show up to tournaments and beat whomever is there... then, and only then will you begin to develop a reputation for backing up words with action.

Don't be a Keyboard Cowboy
This simply won't improve your game. It will actually be counter-productive and make people not want to associate with you... which will, in-turn lower the amount of players you have access to. Play, be kind, be polite and enjoy the game.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Yes, I was actually going to add about learning your normals and specials. I made the thread with the intent on improving, not really starting out. It just came out that way, lol. I will add things later, I am too preoccupied with turkey right now :D

Edit: I added your tips to the original post. If you have any problems just let me know. I would also encourage others to pitch in tips and advice as well. You will be credited accordingly.

Noob
Yes, I was actually going to add about learning your normals and specials. I made the thread with the intent on improving, not really starting out. It just came out that way, lol. I will add things later, I am too preoccupied with turkey right now :D

Edit: I added your tips to the original post. If you have any problems just let me know. I would also encourage others to pitch in tips and advice as well. You will be credited accordingly.
Turkey = GOOD! LOL... I'm just glad I could help.

Noob
When I am playing someone and they are defeating me, I sometimes get very desperate and do very predictable moves hoping that I'll execute damage.
This is a big trick I use against some players I feel get anxious. You have to stay calm no matter what. Even if you're losing, play as calm as possible, and DON'T go for desperation moves... they lead to big time mistakes. This is where "putting it all together" comes into play. You know the moves, you know the tactics, but in that last few moments before you lose, you leave it all behind and start randomly doing things to lose. Don't do this... a game of UMK3 can turn around in a single combo!

When people get close to the win, they also get anxious and make mistakes... use this to your advantage and force mistakes out of them, and you'll see that some of the games that you're currently losing, you'll start to win.

Calm, clear and focused. Otherwise, you're open for headgames.

Noob
Whenever I start playing a new game, I always aim to find a character that has good offense and defense moves.
Typically the Sub-Zero's and Ryu's of the game.

That helps you rely on your talent and ability to learn, instead of a couple of cheesy moves to get some lucky wins to start out with. And in the end what you learn using that solid character, you can apply the offensive and defensive tactics to all future characters you choose to learn.

If I see a character that can exploit the shit out of most of the other characters, MK2:Jax/Mil, (U)MK3:Smoke, MKDC:Flash, I use them on occasion if I think there is no chance for me to win against a better player, or a high tier char selection that I have a problem with. (This isn't really necessary now that you don't spend quarters when you lose).
I have to agree with you here. People who start off by winning in chess using the "Fool's Mate" learn nothing. Using a well rounded character to start will help you develop both sides of your game right away.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
This is a big trick I use against some players I feel get anxious. You have to stay calm no matter what. Even if you're losing, play as calm as possible, and DON'T go for desperation moves... they lead to big time mistakes. This is where "putting it all together" comes into play. You know the moves, you know the tactics, but in that last few moments before you lose, you leave it all behind and start randomly doing things to lose. Don't do this... a game of UMK3 can turn around in a single combo!

When people get close to the win, they also get anxious and make mistakes... use this to your advantage and force mistakes out of them, and you'll see that some of the games that you're currently losing, you'll start to win.

Calm, clear and focused. Otherwise, you're open for headgames.
I'm going to get on tonight and try this stratedy... :)

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
How did your gaming session go?
Alot better, actually.

I didn't sweat losing at all and I just thought clearly about my moves. I was just trying to play as smart as posible with mind games and different combos/moves.

Thanks, 9.95. :)

Noob
No problem! When do you want to get some UMK3 in? I have to practice up for NEC. Actually, I have to play UMK3, MK2, 3s, HDR, SFA3, and Killer Instinct. LOL

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
No problem! When do you want to get some UMK3 in? I have to practice up for NEC. Actually, I have to play UMK3, MK2, 3s, HDR, SFA3, and Killer Instinct. LOL
Bro, you would KILLLLLLLLLL me in UMK3, lol.

I haven't played that game in years.

BOSSETTE

Noob
lol I wanna participate in a local tourney one day. :p

edit: i can just imagine myself walking in the building and everyone thinking, "ohhh shiett, bossette really IS a girl!"
i get so many doubts online. -_-

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
lol I wanna participate in a local tourney one day. :p

edit: i can just imagine myself walking in the building and everyone thinking, "ohhh shiett, bossette really IS a girl!"
i get so many doubts online. -_-
Honestly, them saying that might just be the only way they know to talk to you. They probably like you... lol. Know what I mean though?

it's probably the only idea they've got and they're probably the guys who wonder the malls for hours trying to score a phone number, lol.

And if they keep frontin', you send them my way! ;)

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Female gamers are a rare breed, especially attractive ones such as yourself. (Not hitting on you)

The ones that do show themselves at tournaments end up turning into psuedo celebrities. Take Sherry Jenix, that red headed GH player (Starslayer?), and Princess Aura as an example.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I've actually found that listening to calmer music helps me more than listening to adrenaline pumping music.

For instance, I usually do really well when listening to Bright Eyes, but I usually do badly when listening to Avenged Sevenfold.

it just depends on the song for me. and the day actually, sometimes I cant play with music period, Id rather listen to the game music.

oh, and I suck when laying down for some odd reason. my game improves significantly when i sit up.

Also, do not overthink when not necessary, sometimes people tend to give their opponents TOO much credit and really their gameplay is extremely basic.

McNasty

Moist.
awesome thread and posts guys. In the process of working on blocking(especially the quick sweep cancels) and kara jabbing. shout out to nodoubt for being my higher level opponent some serious block exercise there lol

Dark_Rob

Noob
awesome thread and posts guys. In the process of working on blocking(especially the quick sweep cancels) and kara jabbing. shout out to nodoubt for being my higher level opponent some serious block exercise there lol
Those are some of the things Ive been working on recently to. Especially after seeing guys ike REO,Juggs,No Doubt and Marvirrasta use them so well at NEC.

NoDoubt

nasty
deff agree about playin better playerz

I started around mid July this year and honestly never really got to play any noobs or kids my level...lol like I could even do anything period. So it wuz just strictly Marvirrasta, br0ken, w1nter, golden, and miss spin everyday mainly wit a few people in between for 2v2 games.

So it playin people like this from the very start kinda beats u in shape pretty quick I guess lool. I just never had an ego or bad attitude about the game