What's new

Strategy Improving- A Thread

BolverkGTM

Dad Beard Connoisseur
I want to dip my foot into this thread and offer some advice of my own for up and comers. The biggest thing people need to understand is that reactions don't improve overnight. You can see a situation, understand it and go "Oh I know how to deal with that" but that doesn't mean your hands will move to the situation right away. It takes time to get yourself to react to a situation or a mixup or whatever on sight. I've learned a lot in a match, but I couldn't incorporate any of it until a few hours later after I gave my mind and body time to rest and mull over what I learned. That's perfectly fine, you're not stupid for not being able to react to something.

Speaking of reacting to stuff, it's a good habit to put your brain forward, ahead of your hands. It's cool if you can react to stuff, but you'll find your gameplay is much smoother if you read someone. Don't get discouraged by making a bad read, mistakes are bound to happen and it's not the end of the world. You just try again next time. A strong read can sway a match in so many ways, so get the gears in your brain going more often. Take that time you're blocking to think about what your opponent is likely to do next and get that read on them.

Last edited:

BolverkGTM

Dad Beard Connoisseur
I didn't want to create a new thread in order to get some advice and this one seemed the most appropriate as it's titled "Improving".

In the lab I can hit my BNBs 9 out of 10 times but online I seem to press extra buttons and drop combos constantly. Last night I would have played maybe 50 games and hit my BNB maybe 1 out of 10 tries. Sometimes I'll bait for a whiff punish successfully and hit the first two buttons in a combo then drop the rest.

Furthermore in the lab I can hit confirm into my launcher or safe on blocks, but can't seem to see it online at all.

I guess I'm asking for those with experience fixing these issues, what was the most beneficial strategy to get beyond the involuntary mashing and over pressing buttons when under stress?
That's your nerves getting the best of you against a living, breathing opponent. It happens to everyone starting out. The best thing you can do about that is keep playing matches until you're comfortable enough in a match situation that you can pull off the BnB combos consistently. There's really no way around it other than playing the game. The more exposure you have to real opponents, the better your composure will get, which in turn leads to your execution getting better. It's all part of the grind, my friend.