What's new

Tech - Venomous Improved Venomous Restands

Second Saint

A man with too many names.

Pretty sure @HoneyBee has been sitting on this for awhile. I've seen him do it, but never realized why until recently. Hell, maybe it's common knowledge and I've just somehow skipped over it.

By using only the first hit of spray on airborne opponents, you can increase the hit advantage from +12 to somewhere between +23 and +32. I still haven't been able to figure out the exact number, but I can jail b2, but not b3. More importantly, you can jail a run in overhead or low. Guaranteed pressure mid screen and all it takes is some kind of launch.

Also, alot of the combos you'd use to set up the spray midscreen leave the opponent ticking with a few stacks of venom, which leads to increased combo damage on the next attack that lands or some very high throw damage. I've been personally convinced that Venomous is best played as a grappler for some time, and now I'm even more certain.

Sadly, this doesn't work off of b1 or f1 because they don't launch. Well, it works on f112~spray in the corner, but you don't really need the hit advantage so much there.

@Gooberking @STB Shujinkydink @Evil_Riu48 @TopTierHarley @x TeeJay o and @REO for using Venomous on stream while I was editing this video, lol.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I think this is what I have been doing without really meaning to. I knew spray in the air added a lot of time, but I thought was due to the opponent being airborne. I naturally keep the spray as short as possible. I guess it's not wasting time continuing to spray when you could be running that helps gives you the advantage then? I would always follow up with overhead, throw, or low off a run to try and keep from telegraphing any specific behavior.

I rarely use it though. Mostly just for odd conversions or to give people as many things to worry about as possible.

Second Saint

I think this is what I have been doing without really meaning to. I knew spray in the air added a lot of time, but I thought was due to the opponent being airborne. I naturally keep the spray as short as possible. I guess it's not wasting time continuing to spray when you could be running that helps gives you the advantage then? I would always follow up with overhead, throw, or low off a run to try and keep from telegraphing any specific behavior.

I rarely use it though. Mostly just for odd conversions or to give people as many things to worry about as possible.
No, see, every hit of the spray gives an actual advantage of +12. But when done in the air, the animation for the hit doesn't start until the opponent hits the ground, while D'vorah is already recovering. At least that's my theory on why the advantage increases. That's why I never noticed that it was working this way for so long. I trusted the framedata too much.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
No, see, every hit of the spray gives an actual advantage of +12. But when done in the air, the animation for the hit doesn't start until the opponent hits the ground, while D'vorah is already recovering. At least that's my theory on why the advantage increases. That's why I never noticed that it was working this way for so long. I trusted the framedata too much.
It would be the fall duration (variable) plus the hit stun frames on land, if I'm reading you right.

Second Saint

It would be the fall duration (variable) plus the hit stun frames on land, if I'm reading you right.
Yeah, that's what I think does it. I could be wrong though, since I can't seem to further increase the hit advantage by increasing height of the spray/ keeping the gravity lower. It would be nice if there was a way to jail a b3.