What's new

Impossibly possible? (UMK3 REV 1.2) Set #1

There are many things I see in combo videos, that seem impossible to execute unless there is some sort of alternative set up.

For instance. Sindels corner aaHP, fly, aaHP, fly, aaHP etc combo. With proper timing is this truly "do"able in revision 1.2?

And relaunches. I see lots of combo videos where Cyrax and Sonya(mostly) are able to relaunch off of a SUJK but only going 1/3 of the way up the screen before connecting, and randomly landing on the ground to complete the relaunch. Doable in REv. 1.2?

Cyborg Smoke, in the corner: "aaHP, aaTele-uppercut, JK, JK, spear, combo, HK." I've tried, and got a similar variation off, which did 70ish%. Now, when I do the entire thing, it is 10 hits, 43% damage? wtf? Maybe I'm misexecuting something here; anyone care to clarify?

Also, Human Smoke. HK, D+LP, D+HP. Is this 100% guaranteed everytime? It seems that it can only be executed after[or before] specific situations. For example, it seems that I can never get it off after a "HK,LP,JP,TP, Spear"
But I can always get it off just a normal spear, and about 65% of the time off a JK, TP, Spear. What are the rules/limitations for that 3 hit popup? (by guaranteed, I mean unblockable after the first initial hit.)

And even more difficult for me, is timing specific moves for specific characters. IE. JK, TP for Human Smoke and Ermac to do combos. Liu Kang? Fo getta bout it. Sheeva? Female Ninjas? Puhleeeze. Is there any tip/recommendation to better time those JK, TPs (etc) against akward hitboxes?I even find it hard against Cyborg Ninjas.

Speaking of Cyborgs, Cyrax. My favorite character. Is there a way to guarantee an aaNet 100% of the time? After his throw, aaLP, I find that the aaNet works seldom. And off of aaHP. I can next to never get the net off afterwards. I've seen 3 nets in one combo before. Whaddafuhh?

Oh, and Jaxs' evil combo. I can't remember it, or figure it out. I looked online, but it was either misprinted or something, becuase it wasn't workin for me.

I have lots of questions, but I figured I would start with these.

It is very important that you search for answers to your questions first. Most of them have been answered elsewhere. To answer the majority of your questions right off the bat, YES, it's all possible in UMK3 1.2.

megalomaniacvon said:
For instance. Sindels corner aaHP, fly, aaHP, fly, aaHP etc combo. With proper timing is this truly "do"able in revision 1.2?
Answer. This is also explained in Sinel's Guide.

megalomaniacvon said:
And relaunches. I see lots of combo videos where Cyrax and Sonya(mostly) are able to relaunch off of a SUJK but only going 1/3 of the way up the screen before connecting, and randomly landing on the ground to complete the relaunch. Doable in REv. 1.2?
The only relaunch I have seen with SUJK starter in umk3 is with sonya in MKT broken 3. I think you mean just generally starting a combo with SUJK. You can do that if you press HK/LK immediately after leaving the ground. Certain characters can only do it on other certain characters with higher collision boxes.

megalomaniacvon said:
Cyborg Smoke, in the corner: "aaHP, aaTele-uppercut, JK, JK, spear, combo, HK." I've tried, and got a similar variation off, which did 70ish%. Now, when I do the entire thing, it is 10 hits, 43% damage? wtf? Maybe I'm misexecuting something here; anyone care to clarify?
The Answer is also explained well in the general game play guide. It's called damage protection. The first way you did it was probably with aaJK. If you start the combo with grounded JK the rest of the combo will do one half damage.

megalomaniacvon said:
Also, Human Smoke. HK, D+LP, D+HP. Is this 100% guaranteed everytime? It seems that it can only be executed after[or before] specific situations. For example, it seems that I can never get it off after a "HK,LP,JP,TP, Spear"
But I can always get it off just a normal spear, and about 65% of the time off a JK, TP, Spear. What are the rules/limitations for that 3 hit popup? (by guaranteed, I mean unblockable after the first initial hit.)
This question has been asked so many times !

megalomaniacvon said:
Speaking of Cyborgs, Cyrax. My favorite character. Is there a way to guarantee an aaNet 100% of the time? After his throw, aaLP, I find that the aaNet works seldom. And off of aaHP. I can next to never get the net off afterwards. I've seen 3 nets in one combo before. Whaddafuhh?
Straight from Cyrax's guide: "The net has a limit of 2 hits before it is disabled, and can be broken to 3 with some timing, you also must pause briefly between connected usage. For example: aaNet, aaHP, net, aaHP, net (the nets do not count as part of the combo) and now finish it accordingly."

megalomaniacvon said:
Oh, and Jaxs' evil combo. I can't remember it, or figure it out. I looked online, but it was either misprinted or something, becuase it wasn't workin for me.
It is hard to learn but it just takes practice and getting used to. Anything else? Search for it first. :D

I appreciate your answers, but I'm sure to be more specific when asking. The answers covered it generally, but I'd like more than just links to other topics/the gameplay guides. I'd prefer more in depth explanations for specific things.

megalomaniacvon said:
I appreciate your answers, but I'm sure to be more specific when asking. The answers covered it generally, but I'd like more than just links to other topics/the gameplay guides. I'd prefer more in depth explanations for specific things.
Well if you actually read the links he gave you then there in lie the answer :roll:

ded

Elder God
just list the combos you have problems with, for the ones i understood:

1. sindel flight cancel infinite cannot be done in normal game speed
2. the only char that can sujk, relaunch is sonya vs robots (mkt broken 3, as already dave said)
3. jk, tp after popup with ermac/hsmoke done work vs sheeva because her collision boxes (try jp instead and mid-screen as a position, not in corners)

The one's answered briefly either do not require much of an explanation, or the links give more than enough info. Feel free to ask more specifically about certain ones you are still confused about.

dreemernj

Ambassador
I'll give a detailed answer for the Human Smoke 3 hit combo just for the heck of it. It also applies to Shang Tsung's autocombo starting with HP.

It comes down to the frame counts. When a character is hit by an autocombo attack they are stunned for a certain amount of time. They are actually stunned for a slightly shorter amount of time off the first hit of the combo.

Once your character starts an attack, you can press the button to do the next attack in the autocombo. If you press the next button during the current attack you start doing the next attack as soon as the current attack ends.

There is also a window after the current attack connects where you can press the button for the next attack of the autocombo.

For most autocomboed hits, you can press the button for the next attack after the current attack has connected. However, in the case of H.Smoke's 3 hit combo and Shang's standard autocombo (starting with HP) the second hit of the combo has a lot of frames of animation before it connects. Because the number of frames of animation in the move is very close to the number of frames the opponent stays stunned off of the first hit of the combo, you pretty much have to press the button for the second attack before the first attack connects.

Most second hits of autcombos have about 10 or 12 frames of animation. H.Smoke's D+LP second attack has I think 14 or 15 frames and Shang's second attack of the autocombo has around 17 frames. Both of these are very close to that window they stay stunned for. So if you are late at all pressing the button, you don't get the combo.

It is 100% possible to do these combos in an unblockable way though, because they stay stunned for longer than it takes to get the second attack out.

while where on the topic of the combos being broken in the middle. whats up with the cyrax autocombo breaking if you start it while the net is in effect. i have found that it only breaks while the net is still entangling them when u start the combo and when the net goes away they can sometimes start blocking the combo :roll:

dreemernj

Ambassador
I've never encountered Cyrax's combo being more likely to break if they are in the net myself so that's a new one. But yeah, just do it faster. That's the answer to all of them.

Alright, I've got another question.

One of my biggest faults when playing is crossover jumpers.
I have such a hard time beating players who constantly jump and crossover, over and over non stop. My uppercuts never seem to do anything, and when I try to jump airthrow with kano or H.Smoke, I just get kicked.

Any advice or tips?

And a general question vs. Stryker.

Since he seems to duck under low punches when he's down blocking, what is an effective strategy for chip damage without too much knockback/corner reset?

ded

Elder God
do late/low air throws vs crossovers, they work in 99% of the cases.

some chars can rjab stryker, but the best chip damage could be nonfinished auto combos, with sweep/hk/lk at the end or knee jabs with somechars

anyone willing to give me about an hour of there time (maybe more/less) and give me some examples/ show me how to do these? It's hard to just do something when you haven't done it before. If someone would be willing to show me, and let me get some experience with these things, it would rock.