What's new

IMO: What I would change about MK11's COMPETITIVE gameplay

trufenix

bye felicia
That's an exclusive NRS hitbox/frame data problem. Every other 2D fighter uses back to block. Shoot, look at Marvel. All attacks should be able to be reacted to, but fast enough to catch a sleeper. Again, an exclusive NRS hitbox/frame data problem.

MK is like the only fighter I can think of that has no strategic value to jumping in besides punishing a whiffed attack. A block button is a catch-all in MK. The common mindgames in every other 2d fighter in existence don't exist in MK. Not even Tekken has a block button with its dictionary of moves. Besides from full 3d fighters, the only other game where it makes sense to have one is Smash. That's because of the crazy character placement in matches that MK doesn't have to deal with (like below/above).
Go back to SRK. You don't like mortal kombat anymore.

trufenix

bye felicia
If I didn't like MK, I wouldn't spend time talking about how to make it better.
Removing the block button wouldn't make it better. Few of your suggestions would. They would just make it into something different that you actually like.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Crafty, yeah man if you played injustice during vanilla period Scorpion you'd feel different I think lol. His teleport was actually more busted than MK 11 prepatch Scorpion. The speed, the hitbox, blocking it etc was all a pain in the ass.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
damn almost as long as the posts you make on eventhubs

But yeah, homogeneity is a bad thing for fighters. I like that NRS games are different from others and different from each other.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
For tournament get rid of constant meter build and give it based on performance medals for example:
  • perfect blocks builds defense meter
  • Punishes build offense meter etc.

grandabx

The Flameater
Removing the block button wouldn't make it better. Few of your suggestions would. They would just make it into something different that you actually like.
Elaborate on why they wouldn't. Empty statements don't mean much. I fully explained my reasons for my suggestions. Now, elaborate on your discontent.

I'll oblige you whenever you're ready.

trufenix

bye felicia
Elaborate on why they wouldn't. Empty statements don't mean much. I fully explained my reasons for my suggestions. Now, elaborate on your discontent.

I'll oblige you whenever you're ready.
The why is 11 games with block buttons later MK is more successful and popular than ever. Because Injustice exists and people don't like it as much? Because all fighting games don't have to play the same to be "good"?

I'm not sure why I have to provide a reason to not change something that is working fine, but all three of those arguments are stronger and backed by more actual MK player data than yours.

S+ Main

Noob
If they change block to hold back you will now have to deal with crossup situations and the overhead/low
Geras body splash comes first to mind

umgogo

The Memory Protector
AFAIK Injustice is slightly less liked/played than MK because it's seen as (even) less balanced and doesn't have the blood/Fatalities/MK name. It's NRS's "secondary" series. The block button is neither a saving grace for MK nor a deal-breaker for Inj, it's just a limiting holdover from the experimental '90s. Kano's ball used to be "hold Block, spin 360", which was also unique but limiting.

And it's an irrefutable fact that MK has become more popular and "respected" the more similar to other FGs it has become. It didn't have a super meter or cancels until 9, KBs make counter hits a factor and as flawed as 11's wake-up system may be, it works better than before, and borrows more from games like Street Fighter and BlazBlue.

trufenix

bye felicia
AFAIK Injustice is slightly less liked/played than MK because it's seen as (even) less balanced and doesn't have the blood/Fatalities/MK name. It's NRS's "secondary" series. The block button is neither a saving grace for MK nor a deal-breaker for Inj, it's just a limiting holdover from the experimental '90s. Kano's ball used to be "hold Block, spin 360", which was also unique but limiting.

And it's an irrefutable fact that MK has become more popular and "respected" the more similar to other FGs it has become. It didn't have a super meter or cancels until 9, KBs make counter hits a factor and as flawed as 11's wake-up system may be, it works better than before, and borrows more from games like Street Fighter and BlazBlue.
sigh. So, where did they get:

Block button
Chip normals
strings that come out on whiff
Non-clashing projectiles
Jailing air punches
Breakers/Breakaway
Environmental interactions
Regenerating DEF/OFF meter

Do you have an irrefutable facts about them?

umgogo

The Memory Protector
First, I never said every single MK feature was derivative.

Strings that come out on whiff are a staple in 3D games (where they work better, because hit confirming isn't an issue).

Jailing air punches = anti-airs into juggles? Common since Super Turbo ('94).

Breakers = Bursts, standard fare for "combo games" since Guilty Gear XX (2002).

Regenerating defensive meter is just a variation of the Burst/Overdrive meters seen in GG/BlazBlue/Arcana Heart, etc. Most of which can also be used offensively.

Environmental interactives... are common in arena fighters, but I doubt they are a huge selling point for MK. They were toned down from Inj 1 to 2 and even more in 11, so there's that.

I'll give you non-clashing projectiles and chip normals, which, while problematic in some cases, make for an interesting change of pace.

Again, NRS games play like a curious mixture between 2D and 3D. That's part of their charm, but it also holds them back. The sum of the parts don't quite come together to make a whole, which is a fairly rare FG issue these days.

Last edited:

grandabx

The Flameater
The why is 11 games with block buttons later MK is more successful and popular than ever. Because Injustice exists and people don't like it as much? Because all fighting games don't have to play the same to be "good"?

I'm not sure why I have to provide a reason to not change something that is working fine, but all three of those arguments are stronger and backed by more actual MK player data than yours.
Again, I gave details for everything I put down. If you don't have anything besides, "I don't like it" or "It's tradition", why are you even responding to me? You have nothing to offer here. "Working fine" is suggestive. Again, empty statements.