What's new

Question - Jax I'm looking to learn Jax. What do I need to know?

I used to main Sun God Kotal before I switched to Sektor, but I've always wanted to give Jax a try. What do I need to know in order to do well with him?

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I used to main Sun God Kotal before I switched to Sektor, but I've always wanted to give Jax a try. What do I need to know in order to do well with him?
I put together a complete guide for Pumped Up, but a lot of it can be applied to his other variations. I believe most of it is still applicable: https://testyourmight.com/threads/the-ultimate-pumped-up-guide.52241/

The major change has been to his OTG damage. Because of this, Pumped Up is probably his worst variation. I'd say Wrestler is probably his best, just because it still has all of the frame-trap potential of Pumped Up with the addition of tick throws.

A big thing I didn't mention in my guide is the effectiveness of "down-down". You want to basically be tea-bagging all the time, which can make your opponent think you are going for a ground pound. If they jump, you can easily f2, j2, or d2 into a solud 25%+ combo. If they don't jump, eventually you can hit with an actual ground pound for a decent combo.

Last edited:

thlityoursloat

kick kick
So much this. Jesus H. Christ!

Then, it's like, "Okay, he did 11. Is he gonna go low, OH or stagger into 11 again?" I hate Jax. -_-
Jax pressure is overrated, as a Kotal player you should agree. :p
your d1 will beat all of his options except for his own d1, that's unless he does EX OH DP which is honestly integral to his stagger game and forcing people to respect you.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
When in the nuetral:

Run in and do f212 and dash punch.

When you corner them after your first bnb:

Jab, Jab, (mix up)

Jab, jab, (mix up)

Jab, stagger, jab, jab(mix up)

Insert run cancels or grabs in there depending upon your preference and you are now a Jax main.

Congratulations.

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
Also remember that Gotcha Grab is plus on block (even in Pumped Up) so feel free to check em with pokes and do EX OH Dash Punches afterwards. d12, d3, and d4 into OH Dash Punch in the corner is legit and causes your opponents salt levels to increase to over 9000.

E

Eldriken

your d1 will beat all of his options except for his own d1, that's unless he does EX OH DP which is honestly integral to his stagger game and forcing people to respect you.
That's my whole issue; I respect competent Jax players way too much. I'd like to d1 after a 11 stagger, but I'm always expecting a low/OH.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
That's my whole issue; I respect competent Jax players way too much. I'd like to d1 after a 11 stagger, but I'm always expecting a low/OH.
11 is only +2. OH is 18 frames at -11 OH dash punch is around 15 frames at -18 or something very punishable
Low is 15? i don't remember maybe 13 and safe. If they do b34 there is a gap. If they do b32? The Low OH there is a gap.
use D1 after 11 if you think they will do anything else beside d1. You play kotal. You have 2 6 frame pokes. And a 9 frame b1. :p

thlityoursloat

kick kick
11 is only +2. OH is 18 frames at -11 OH dash punch is around 15 frames at -18 or something very punishable
Low is 15? i don't remember maybe 13 and safe. If they do b34 there is a gap. If they do b32? The Low OH there is a gap.
use D1 after 11 if you think they will do anything else beside d1. You play kotal. You have 2 6 frame pokes. And a 9 frame b1. :p
OH is -13 and B3 is 14f. B3 in and of itself is unsafe but HW can cancel it to be safe.
Kotal is def one of the characters who has an easy time dealing with Jax's pressure lol, Jax's pressure is for sure good but ain't got nothing on say, D'vorah's.

Indecisive

OH is -13 and B3 is 14f. B3 in and of itself is unsafe but HW can cancel it to be safe.
Kotal is def one of the characters who has an easy time dealing with Jax's pressure lol, Jax's pressure is for sure good but ain't got nothing on say, D'vorah's.
You can make b3 safe with Gotcha grab. Thanks for the Frame correctly. Its been a while. I think Kotal Jax is 5-5. Mu is eh. But Jax does very well against Sun God. jax's pressure is great if you can make good reads

E

Eldriken

I guess I just suck at the MU if Kotal apparently handles Jax better than some. It's like I said above, I respect his options entirely too much and prefer to block instead of pressing buttons.

I also very rarely use armor against him when waking up or after 11 because he eats Kotal's armor alive.

I think I mindfuck myself from the get-go when I'm playing someone who knows how to use Jax. :|

Indecisive

I guess I just suck at the MU if Kotal apparently handles Jax better than some. It's like I said above, I respect his options entirely too much and prefer to block instead of pressing buttons.

I also very rarely use armor against him when waking up or after 11 because he eats Kotal's armor alive.

I think I mindfuck myself from the get-go when I'm playing someone who knows how to use Jax. :|
Its a 5-5. If you play Sun God its a bit better. Since Jax has an OS for all Tick throws. And kotal can only punish it with a poke. On WU ya you have to kinda block or make the read and pray since 123 breaks armor. 11 is actually 2 frames slower than 12 which may not seem like much but it matters A LOT. Lol. Armoring after f21 is a good option. Pressure jax and make good reads on armor. Since your pokes are faster and reach farther than ours.

I must be a shit Sun God Kotal then because I've been getting bodied left and right by the entire state of Indiana. I know his tick throws and all that but I don't know how to keep up pressure. I try to do the 114xxDF1 to keep it up, but something's not clicking with me lol.

llabslb

R1D1_998
Jax has one of the best guides on TYM. You should consider looking through the Jax forums briefly, maybe something you're curious about has already been covered ;)