What's new

Im Just learning Jax have I got this right?

His basics (right now I am only learning his hunker down varation :

F2 into forward grab or F2 into his 1+3

F3 xx forward grab or f33 1+3

F2 into D4

B3 2 into grab or b2 straight into forward grab for extra mixups

d12 for d1 mashers

What else am I missing? thanks

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
B32 doesn't combo. B3 into gotcha is a different matter. And b2 doesn't combo unless u fully charge it which leads to KB and hella unsafe. And f33 should be used as a stagger. D1 tick throw u should know too and get his KB timing down. (First 3 throws the opponent should be on the ground as u press it and last throw u let them bounce up a brief moment before ending it)

B2 KB into 1xx12xxb34 for two KBs in one combo if u have sufficient heat. If not then end with gotcha grab. Also gotcha grab restand in the corner u should utilize where if u throw them they bounce off the wall and ur abt +4 or 5 and can f33 and f2 will stuff their jump.

It's worth practicing your combos off of d2 and b2 KBs since they are the main ways you are going to get combo damage outside the corner.

Also practice using the b2 as a meaty in the lab. Dashing back and then holding down the back button and hitting 2 (so the b2 comes out as soon as dash is over) is good to use on an opponent you think might wakeup attack.

B32 doesn't combo. B3 into gotcha is a different matter. And b2 doesn't combo unless u fully charge it which leads to KB and hella unsafe. And f33 should be used as a stagger. D1 tick throw u should know too and get his KB timing down. (First 3 throws the opponent should be on the ground as u press it and last throw u let them bounce up a brief moment before ending it)

B2 KB into 1xx12xxb34 for two KBs in one combo if u have sufficient heat. If not then end with gotcha grab. Also gotcha grab restand in the corner u should utilize where if u throw them they bounce off the wall and ur abt +4 or 5 and can f33 and f2 will stuff their jump.
Thanks guys, one thing im missing is im not doing the Command grab at all, what are your setups for it?

You can use it as a combo ender after and AA, b2 or d2 KB for big damage, or after a j3/4 starter in the corner.

You are mainly using it for its one time huge damage KB, which takes some practice to get down. Try canceling into the command grab off of 1, d1, and d12. The inputs takes some practice.
Once you can do those reliably, you put opponents into a situation where they have to gamble between blocking your normal (1 or d1 for instance) and then instantly getting hit with the command grab, or they let go of block, get hit by your poke normal, and then suffer whatever string you feel like using.

You can use it as a combo ender after and AA, b2 or d2 KB for big damage, or after a j3/4 starter in the corner.

You are mainly using it for its one time huge damage KB, which takes some practice to get down. Try canceling into the command grab off of 1, d1, and d12. The inputs takes some practice.
Once you can do those reliably, you put opponents into a situation where they have to gamble between blocking your normal (1 or d1 for instance) and then instantly getting hit with the command grab, or they let go of block, get hit by your poke normal, and then suffer whatever string you feel like using.
Okay learning it now, the d1 into command grab very easy but the d12 into grab is a hard timing and it doesnt help that his projectile keeps coming out lol thanks because i keep getting confused sometimes when im really up close since i dont just want to grab/f33 all the time

Last edited:
His basics (right now I am only learning his hunker down varation :

F2 into forward grab or F2 into his 1+3

F3 xx forward grab or f33 1+3

F2 into D4

B3 2 into grab or b2 straight into forward grab for extra mixups

d12 for d1 mashers

What else am I missing? thanks
So a few points. D12 doesn't do anything against d1 mashers because it's not a true string in that you can interrupt the second hit with a d1. Off of F2 you covered going into the 50/50 with D4 or 1+3 and the grabs. You can also just go into F33 after.

From F33 you can just keep staggering F3 or F33, you can neutral jump and try to catch them whiffing or you can crossover jump. Or you can go into Jax's d1 mixup.

After d1 the mixup is either doing a command grab or doing his stiff-armed (amp to make it safe). If you think they're going to poke the d1->amp stiff armed will catch them because it's uninterruptible. If you think they're going to block the d1->command grab is the way to go to hit that krushing blow.

Since Jax doesn't have a lot of normal combo damage in Hunker Down it's important to hit your krushing blows and not waste them. You can hit the command grab one consistently, and a simple way to get the double missile KB is after a D2 krushing blow if you duck a throw or a high: just do D2(KB), 1, dash, 12 double missile for about 43%

So a few points. D12 doesn't do anything against d1 mashers because it's not a true string in that you can interrupt the second hit with a d1. Off of F2 you covered going into the 50/50 with D4 or 1+3 and the grabs. You can also just go into F33 after.

From F33 you can just keep staggering F3 or F33, you can neutral jump and try to catch them whiffing or you can crossover jump. Or you can go into Jax's d1 mixup.

After d1 the mixup is either doing a command grab or doing his stiff-armed (amp to make it safe). If you think they're going to poke the d1->amp stiff armed will catch them because it's uninterruptible. If you think they're going to block the d1->command grab is the way to go to hit that krushing blow.

Since Jax doesn't have a lot of normal combo damage in Hunker Down it's important to hit your krushing blows and not waste them. You can hit the command grab one consistently, and a simple way to get the double missile KB is after a D2 krushing blow if you duck a throw or a high: just do D2(KB), 1, dash, 12 double missile for about 43%
Thanks labbing this stuff now!, also something thats been troubling me. People keep waking up vs me and disrupting my pressure, usually im able to bait the wake up attack but its the constant rolling and all that they do which seems like EVERY ATTACK and to make matters worse they have an option to attack right after with leads into a KB! sigh

Thanks labbing this stuff now!, also something thats been troubling me. People keep waking up vs me and disrupting my pressure, usually im able to bait the wake up attack but its the constant rolling and all that they do which seems like EVERY ATTACK and to make matters worse they have an option to attack right after with leads into a KB! sigh
Don't forget a throw beats a roll. Also experiment with back dash and jump back too.

It's a tough one and takes a lot of trial and error. Have you tried tinkering with the "input timing" option? Changing it to long can help here, though it may screw with combo inputs on other characters.

Also, there are a few ways to try inputting it.

d1, 2, d, b, f, 1 >> hitting every button separately

d1, 2, b, f1 >> the least amount of button presses possible.

The second option can help because you can get it out quicker. The first d of the dbf1 is actually logged and remembered from the d12 so you don't have to put it in again. Pressing the last f and 1 together also saves time and is more precise.

ATIWAB

Noob
Okay learning it now, the d1 into command grab very easy but the d12 into grab is a hard timing and it doesnt help that his projectile keeps coming out lol thanks because i keep getting confused sometimes when im really up close since i dont just want to grab/f33 all the time
If you keep getting Thumper output during your D12, take your thumb completely off the D-Pad after you hit the D1 until you condition yourself to stop rolling it over B.

If you keep getting Thumper output during your D12, take your thumb completely off the D-Pad after you hit the D1 until you condition yourself to stop rolling it over B.
^ Legit this. Much of it is due to the d-pad on your controller being one solid piece of plastic. The only way to remedy aside from upgrading your controller is to be absolutely certain you aren't also pressing down b while you are holding d, even taking your thumb entirely off the dpad after you've hit d.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
Word of advice, be a little careful of ending with 1+3 against Geras. He can punish with d1 and then the mixup train begins.

I use 221+3 sometimes. It's a tad faster, and people don't see the string often so they get clipped by the ender. As for wakeup, this is why Jax is balanced. The opponent has options. If they read and wake up succesfully your momentum and quite possibly your heat goes away. I like walk back a bit, if they wake up, whiff punish, if they do delayed getup, then you dont have to worry about either roll or wakeup. Be careful when people start to get up normally and check you with an advancing normal. They can of course roll backwards doing this, but it costs them a bar, takes them closer to the corner which is pretty neat sometimes.

I also like to do f2 and b4 a lot. It's a really solid sweep IMO. A bit gimmicky but f2 into amplified GP catches so many people off guard

Last edited:
It's a tough one and takes a lot of trial and error. Have you tried tinkering with the "input timing" option? Changing it to long can help here, though it may screw with combo inputs on other characters.

Also, there are a few ways to try inputting it.

d1, 2, d, b, f, 1 >> hitting every button separately

d1, 2, b, f1 >> the least amount of button presses possible.

The second option can help because you can get it out quicker. The first d of the dbf1 is actually logged and remembered from the d12 so you don't have to put it in again. Pressing the last f and 1 together also saves time and is more precise.
The advice here about taking your thumb off the DPAD works 100% for me, the only problem is, its a long ass movement, i have to rework my brain to do it, but its worth it for the pay off.

Sometimes I can get the movement by holding down while the 2 comes out and doing back forward 1, but this timing is weird as hell

As for wakeup, this is why Jax is balanced. The opponent has options. If they read and wake up succesfully your momentum and quite possibly your heat goes away.
This has been my biggest problem so far, the opponent has so many damn different wakeups option that negate my pressure and heat. Shouldnt they be ONLY allowed to wake up attack? feels they to many ways. Played against a shang that did nothing but spam projectiles and when I got in and did my setups he rolled/wakeup attacked away. BS.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
This has been my biggest problem so far, the opponent has so many damn different wakeups option that negate my pressure and heat. Shouldnt they be ONLY allowed to wake up attack? feels they to many ways. Played against a shang that did nothing but spam projectiles and when I got in and did my setups he rolled/wakeup attacked away. BS.
I often will walk up and walk back on someone's wakeup so I can watch what they're doing and react to what they're doing. If they wakeup attack I whiff punish, if they forward roll I throw them or punish it if I'm feeling confident, and if they back roll I dash after them to stay close. I imagine as Jax you could punish a backroll on read with the dash punch or FB.

You just need to try and pick up the opponents habits. One of the most punishing flaws a player can have is autopiloting their wakeups.

It's when they're mixing up rolls, wakeup attacks, and delayed wakeup that the wakeup system shows its true power.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
d4xxdd4 (amp) is another fairly effective gimmick. Use it as a round ender since d4 is a rilabke poke. Also it's fun to input.
I also feel like it throws people's timing off. Some good players try to fuzzy to cover the low or a d4. Or is that even possible? Anyway This fucks them up all the time LOL

Also, am I the only one experiencing people always get hit by f2 after backthrow because they try to jump?

I also feel like it throws people's timing off. Some good players try to fuzzy to cover the low or a d4. Or is that even possible? Anyway This fucks them up all the time LOL

Also, am I the only one experiencing people always get hit by f2 after backthrow because they try to jump?
I do that also, but i do it spareingly due to the garbage wakeups.. what are your common setups? i find myself doing the same shit over and over

Last edited:

nodq

wicked

B32 does combo itself and into his ender. B2 does combo even without KB, full charge B2 (no KB) into F2 followed by whatever. B2 is not unsafe, because on block it has massive pushback.