What's new

IGN's Mortal Kombat 11 Review

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
They also complain about the randomized Krypt and the difficulty of the Towers of Time. Interesting. Very, very interesting.

So far we've had TYM users complain. People on Reddit complained. Now the reviewers seem to be complaining... and I can tell you right now, if the users on Metacritic are critical as well, that will show in the user scores on Metacritic. And that's never a good look for games, no matter if those red scores are fully justified or not. What matters is, that you've done something to upset the player base and that's a big no-no.

Prateek Shekhar

LeggoMyEggo
IGN for idiots
He calls out the grind in character towers, Krypt being a bunch of lootboxes, and some fights being unwinnable bullshit. Basically the same things I've been detailing for the past 3 or 4 days.

He also gives it a 9/10, which I said would be my score, because I'm in it for online and gameplay. This is about the best review you could've hoped for.

D

Deleted member 35141

So the common things I see in reviews
1.Gameplay is the best its ever been
2.Best fighting game story
3.One of if the the best netcode of any fighting game
4.Krypt is a grindathon
5.Towers are unfair, unbalanced and unfun

All my fears have come true with the reviews stupid SP modes bringing down a otherwise amazing fighting game.
Luckily for me the top 3 matter most of all so still super hyped

Last edited by a moderator:

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Started reading through the reviews on Metacritic. Sounds like the biggest issue most people have so far is the Loot/Tower/Grinding stuff, and to a certain extent the move customization. Overall sounds like most reviewers are pretty pleased with the gameplay, online, and story mode, minus Rousey as Sonya.

Derek said on GI that he is the one responsible for the Towers of Time so he'll be in trouble! :D

I really hate all the modifier shit, I hated it in MKX, I always searched for the modifier-less towers in Multiverse and rumor says it is worse in MK11. I want to test it myself before I go ham on Derek but I gotta say: IGAU easily had the most fun and kreative stuff with towers like Combo Heaven, Fully Charged and Villains only. It had variety, you could practice combos and it wasn't designed to grind it and you didn't feel forced to do anything. Derek said the Towers was designed to keep you playing. If it is the only thing that keeps you playing Towers of Shit Time then it's sad. Hopefully they can redesing it, we'll keep Derek working instead! :D

As far as I know, correct. You can't pay to make your character more powerful in ranked/tournament/competitive modes.
Good, that's my hope. I've never been a big cosmetics guy in any game. I'm the player in an RPG who basically takes the first default character appearance and just plays; that's the kind of guy I am.

For the Towers, so long as there's a traditional Klassic Tower, I'll be fine. I don't plan on using Custom Variations much at all, I intend to focus solely on the two "official" ones for my mains, and like Mortal Kombat XL, I figure I'll spend most of my time in Single Fight; great for short bursts of play.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
As far as I know, correct. You can't pay to make your character more powerful in ranked/tournament/competitive modes.
also, gear stats (gem augments) does not affect your character even in casual playlists!

Outworld Slasher

Cannibalistic Humanoid Fleshpit Dweller
I've thankfully yet to be spoiled, but I'm hearing so many different polarizing things about the story. Someone said it was so bad it made the X story look good, some people were saying it was just ok, and now I'm hearing it's amazing and quite possibly the best in any fighting game ever? All the different reactions are really stirring my curiosity since it seems like they really took some risks this time around, which was my main issue with how safe X played it. Definitely, the first thing I'm doing once I get the game tomorrow.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Someone said it was so bad it made the X story look good, some people were saying it was just ok, and now I'm hearing it's amazing and quite possibly the best in any fighting game ever?
At the very least NRS always puts so much content and resources into their story modes, I typically find them pretty fun to play, even if the story itself ends up being not so great.