What's new

IGN: all of Sub Zero's fatalities in one video

Charybdis

We are returned! Death to the False Emperor!

Though it may be hard to imagine now, there was a time when Mortal Kombat was debated on the floor of the US Senate, when the release of a new MK game was headline news, not just in entertainment, but on mainstream news. The reason for this? The violence.

Although MK is now as respected as a competitive fighter and has been since the release of MK9 in 2011, it's hard to deny that the primary selling point of MK was it's violence in the early days. The atmosphere, the design, the music, all played their parts, but many of us have our first memory of MK as gaping at a fatality, at the violence played out at our command. It was these fatalities that rocketed MK to global fame and no fatality is as iconic as Sub Zero's Spine Rip.

In this great compilation put together by IGN, you can relive the myriad ways the Chinese Ninja Warrior has to end his foes' life, from the Spine Rip to the Ice Grenade to MKX's Bed of Ice.

Take a look at the video and tell us: what's your favourite, and why is it the MK4 Spine Rip (it's cos of the sound design) and what's your least favourite and why is it the MKDA Skeleton Rip?

While you're there, why not take a gander at the other fatality compilation videos featuring the likes of Raiden, Scorpion and Reptile?

Check back to TestYourMight.com regularly for all the most up-to-date news on the Mortal Kombat series, Injustice and all NRS happenings! And look out for us ramping up our MK content in the coming months, as we (hopefully) move closer to the announcement of the next entry in the series

Last edited:

Lokheit

Noob
I mean... I know the idea is to generate and promote news and content to keep conversations going and all of that, but this is an almost 3 years old video that wasn't even "news" when it was made, not exactly "up-to-date news".

Anyway, my fav Sub-Zero fatality is his Deception one where he freezes and shatters the opponent's legs, then slowly walks to him while they're struggling in the ground to stomp them making their heads explode. I find most of the "struggling" fatalities to be the best ones because they're not just gore for the sake of it, the opponent trying to escape certain death gives another dimenssion to what a fatality really is (this is the reason why I like Kung Lao's MKX fatality forcing the opponent's face to the buzzsaw).

Last edited:

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
Oh the nostalgia is real baby! So many great one Fatalities here, it's just awesome! My top 5 in this list for Sub-Zero are (not in any order):

1) Sub-Zero's MKDA Fatality
2) Sub-Zero's 2nd MKD Fatality (where he stomps on the opponent's head, ignoring his pleas for mercy)
3) Sub-Zero's 2nd MK9 Fatality (where he uses his opponent's spine to smash his frozen body)
4 + 5) His two MKX Fatalities.