What's new

Net Neutrality: What is all the talk about?

There has been an enormous amount of discussion on the internet no matter where you're visiting, about Net Neutrality. What is it exactly? Imagine your internet service provider (ISP, i.e. Comcast, Verizon, etc) starting new pricing packages where accessing websites like Facebook now cost $8.99 /per month. Without net neutrality, ISP's will potentially have the power to split rates... see this image below for an example:

net.jpg
Source: RoKhanna

This affects us all as gamers and forum goers because if Net Neutrality goes away, ISP's will be able to charge what they want for the individual sites, plans, etc.

The Federal Communications Commission released a plan on Tuesday to dismantle landmark regulations that ensure equal access to the internet, clearing the way for internet service companies to charge users more to see certain content and to curb access to some websites.

The proposal, made by the F.C.C. chairman, Ajit Pai, is a sweeping repeal of rules put in place by the Obama administration. The rules prohibit high-speed internet service providers, or I.S.P.s, from stopping or slowing down the delivery of websites. They also prevent the companies from charging customers extra fees for high-quality streaming and other services.

The announcement set off a fight over free speech and the control of the internet, pitting telecom titans like AT&T and Verizon against internet giants like... continue reading!
completely edited / promoted by STORMS*

Last edited by a moderator:

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
It means we are about to get fucked... as usual. It has never been about having the country's best interest at heart. It's about how they can make the quickest buck, keep the rich staying rich, and fuck the middle class/poor. And of course... just undoing everything Obama did just to say they are doing something.

I seriously hope this doesn't happen.

Meep8345

Noob
I'm going to be beyond pissed and leave America asap. Not just gaming will be ruined everything that makes the internet great will be ruined all for profit and control over us. This is one step closer to them having even more control that's all it is, America was once a great country but now its going downhill fast. However, at the rate its spreading around the internet I doubt it will pass.

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
I'm going to be beyond pissed and leave America asap. Not just gaming will be ruined everything that makes the internet great will be ruined all for profit and control over us. This is one step closer to them having even more control that's all it is, America was once a great country but now its going downhill fast. However, at the rate its spreading around the internet I doubt it will pass.
When exactly was America great? Not being shady here, I'm an American and I'm so glad I'm here, but I wouldn't exactly call it great.

AkioOf100

I play Raph
ya it not gna pass.

but if it did pass i think we would all have to switch to the "gaming company", whatever one that is gonna be.

EMPEROR_KNICKS

Master of Kombat(frauds)
When exactly was America great? Not being shady here, I'm an American and I'm so glad I'm here, but I wouldn't exactly call it great.
Depends what you mean by great , I think its great without the U.S imagine the world today, American inventors created many of the important things you use today, everyday ppl wanna comehere for a better life, The american dream, getting out of poverty etc. Does it have downsides sure but wouldnt like to live anywhere else.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
because FREEDOM

/sarcasm

Depends what you mean by great , I think its great without the U.S imagine the world today, American inventors created many of the important things you use today, everyday ppl wanna comehere for a better life, The american dream, getting out of poverty etc. Does it have downsides sure but wouldnt like to live anywhere else.
"the american dream, getting out of poverty" lol yeah you guys are like the worst first world country there is for that

a lot of great inventions and innovations have come from America. Luckily I can make full use of every last one of these that I care about, from basically anywhere on the globe.

Meep8345

Noob
Do you have any idea the struggle of getting out of poverty in America?
because FREEDOM

/sarcasm

"the american dream, getting out of poverty" lol yeah you guys are like the worst first world country there is for that

a lot of great inventions and innovations have come from America. Luckily I can make full use of every last one of these that I care about, from basically anywhere on the globe.
Thank you, someone that understands. The wealth inequality is insane here we have big businesses getting huge tax cuts, Warren Buffet one of the greatest investors of all time paid $1.8 million in federal income taxes in 2015 on about $11.6 million in income, for a rate of just under 16%. (http://fortune.com/2016/10/10/warren-buffett-taxes-trump/). We're about as free as the investors, big businesses, and banksters want us to be.

EMPEROR_KNICKS

Master of Kombat(frauds)
because FREEDOM

/sarcasm

This is really disingenious, ass

because FREEDOM

/sarcasm

This is pretty inaccurate, when America is far, far different from all these countries and from whats going on in them. There is 2 many factors to consider such as population,whats going on in the country, amount of immigrants etc. So to say a country like Denmark with a pretty small population, doesnt get itself into conflicts, doesnt provide as much service and aide to the world as the u.s, etc etc. This goes for many of the countries on this list. But theres a reason people come to America rather than any of these other "better countries" . Most of the technology you use today is again American and thats because no where else in world could people become tycoons and business man like in America, the person who created ebay, the internet, the car, the smartphone etc. Also in America there are plenty of ways out of poverty, (link the study below) found that you need to do 3 things to stay out of poverty in the United states. Dont have children before you are married, graduate highschool, and have a fulltime job. Only 2 percent of people who do this are poor. Also America is the largest peace keeping force in history. The U.S sends the most foreign aide relief, tries to calm the most foreign conflicts. Helped stop the spread of communism, imagine the world now if the U.S didnt help out in so many circumstances.
https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/three-simple-rules-poor-teens-should-follow-to-join-the-middle-class/

Last edited:

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
All attempts at censoring, or otherwise controlling the internet is counterproductive to profit.
cba to look up all the research on how it affects things but you can look at figures about china vs the free world as an example.

Meep8345

Noob
This is pretty inaccurate, when America is far, far different from all these countries and from whats going on in them. There is 2 many factors to consider such as population,whats going on in the country, amount of immigrants etc. So to say a country like Denmark with a pretty small population, doesnt get itself into conflicts, doesnt provide as much service and aide to the world as the u.s, etc etc. This goes for many of the countries on this list. But theres a reason people come to America rather than any of these other "better countries" . Most of the technology you use today is again American and thats because no where else in world could people become tycoons and business man like in America, the person who created ebay, the internet, the car, the smartphone etc. Also in America there are plenty of ways out of poverty, (link the study below) found that you need to do 3 things to stay out of poverty in the United states. Dont have children before you are married, graduate highschool, and have a fulltime job. Only 2 percent of people who do this are poor. Also America is the largest peace keeping force in history. The U.S sends the most foreign aide relief, tries to calm the most foreign conflicts. Helped stop the spread of communism, imagine the world now if the U.S didnt help out in so many circumstances.
LMAO you actually think its that easy just graduate high school and have a fulltime job? LMAO what!? Dude you do know that the majority of places will only pay you min wage and you are lucky as hell to get a job that pays 12 an hour, it is not that simple to get out of poverty. Majority of the time you will need an associates degree that will put you in debt 30k or more. Do you even know that you can not live alone on 12 an hour? Rent,car insurance,food,gas,electric bills,water bills,etc will eat up almost all your paycheck and then your left with maybe 100-300 a month to save. Then what happens if your car breaks down or your refrigator guess what most of your money you've been saving can be GONE. Haven't even mentioned furniture or appliances costs which makes living alone impossible. Yeah you can get a roommate but that does not change the fact that you still make poverty wage. People can become tycoons and business men like in America anywhere in the world do you even know anything about business? There's people all over the world that are exploiting people purely for profit turning them into millionaires.

The US has done good in some areas but lets not lie and say we're saints.

Last edited:

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Most of the technology you use today is again American and thats because no where else in world could people become tycoons and business man like in America, the person who created ebay, the internet, the car, the smartphone etc.
Yeah the person who invented the wheel was American as well yeah? And the person who discovered the fire too.

EMPEROR_KNICKS

Master of Kombat(frauds)
LMAO you actually think its that easy just graduate high school and have a fulltime job? LMAO what!? Dude you do know that the majority of places will only pay you min wage and you are lucky as hell to get a job that pays 12 an hour, it is not that simple to get out of poverty. Majority of the time you will need an associates degree that will put you in debt 30k or more. Do you even know that you can not live alone on 12 an hour? Rent,car insurance,food,gas,electric bills,water bills,etc will eat up almost all your paycheck and then your left with maybe 100-300 a month to save. Then what happens if your car breaks down or your refrigator guess what most of your money you've been saving can be GONE. Haven't even mentioned furniture or appliances costs which makes living alone impossible. Yeah you can get a roommate but that does not change the fact that you still make poverty wage. People can become tycoons and business men like in America anywhere in the world do you even know anything about business? There's people all over the world that are exploiting people purely for profit turning them into millionaires.

The US has done good in some areas but lets not lie and say we're saints, we're just as corrupt and dirty as Russia almost.
So one you didnt read the study, and two ur talking out of ur ass lmao. Most people i know who are failing in highschool are because they dont attend classes dont do HW assignments and tend to act like degenerates which is why they dont finish lmao. People can become tycoons in other countries its just that most of them come from America because of the freedom of opportunity America offers. And i somehow doubt things like uber, ebay, and facebook all rely on slave labor lmao. And the thing that angered me the most lol is that we are almost as corrupt as Russia, funny because my parents actually fled from Russia but ok. First off you basically cant be gay in russia, no freedom of press, people are not tolerable there at all, many more people struggle from drug addiction, they dislike jewish people, etc. So please tell me more how we are almost as bad as Russia and again there is a reason people chose America out of all these other countries to come too, because of the Freedom it entails, the economic freedom, the social freedom, etc. At least thats why my parents came here, who came with nothing and now are middle class functioning members of society, and can now speak the language. And I will add the U.S isnt the best or great at everything but if we are talking about historically Americas def great.