What's new

If Quan Chi is in MKX...

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Quan was one of the characters that flew up the "online" tier list because of how dumb the lag in mk9 was.

Whiffing sky drops and using his low/OH without getting armored was pretty BS stuff.

Since he's a necromancer I'd love to see him raising zombies from the dead. Maybe you can issue commands to the zombie to perform different attacks and get some asynchronous shenanigans going...

Goldi

Noob
Quan will be either the main character or some kind of narrator explaining what's happened over the 25 years to someone. I knew this when I watched the MK9 ending and unlocked Mr. Tease 3 years ago :p

I hope he gets to keep rune trap but only in one variation... Because rune trap doesn't just suck being on the wrong side of it, it sucks for Quan to have to commit his entire strategy to it. It's all or nothing for him.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I always found that online latency made The Rune Trap more escapable and thus, not as useful.

Anyway, I want Quan Chi to have some kind of style with the swords he used in DA. Those things were tight.

Also, if people believe it was a "glitch" and not intentional, then describe what kind of character he was supposed to be? What tools did he have that were completely viable outside of the trap?
What kind of character is Quan supposed to be in MK9 if you look at everything that isn't Rune Trap related?
I've still yet to see anyone tackle these questions.
I've made my argument as to why I believe it was intentional, and yet all I hear as a counter point is non-Quan Chi mains repeating that it was "glitched" with no rationale or potential evidence to back their claim.

Last edited:

Rude

There is no setup

lol all you had to do was TOUCH people. The math is awesome after the fact... but once figured out (by Under the Mayo. Kudos).... the calculations on when you'd get another bar and such go out the window.... because of all the variables WITHIN the match.
The same could be said about Kabal and NDC. Do you think that is a thinking man's setup?

Quan also did tremendous damage if you DIDN"T have a breaker. Mayo also proved that.

It won't matter, because the backdashes in MKX seem to have invinc frames, so something like this won't exist.
Kabal didn't rely on meter to do 2 xx NDC.
He could also use breakers.
Quan needs his meter for the trap and cannot use breakers.

I think what you're missing is something that Shujinkydink once said. Quan Chi doesn't punish you for "blocking correctly." He punishes you for spacing incorrectly. If you're getting hit hy Quan, you've done something wrong.
And no, the calculations don't go out of the window. Do you know how easy to is to THINK you're going to get the next EN Rune, only to watch as it comes out as a regular one because you didn't manage your meter correctly?

But yes, backdashes do seem to have invc. frames so long as you have movement meter to spend on it, so we likely won't have a Rune Trap situation to begin with.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
I always found that online latency made The Rune Trap more escapable and thus, not as useful.

Anyway, I want Quan Chi to have some kind of style with the swords he used in DA. Those things were tight.

Also, if people believe it was a "glitch" and not intentional, then describe what kind of character he was supposed to be? What tools did he have that were completely viable outside of the trap?
What kind of character is Quan supposed to be in MK9 if you look at everything that isn't Rune Trap related?
I've still yet to see anyone tackle these questions.
I've made my argument as to why I believe it was intentional, and yet all I hear as a counter point is non-Quan Chi mains repeating that it was "glitched" with no rationale or potential evidence to back their claim.
I hate to be this guy lol but I beat Pig of the Hut in an online touranment back in 2011 and he complained to hector sanchez about the rune trap and Hector said it wasnt intentional. #themoreyouknow

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Well, I stand corrected. That's all I was asking for. Fair enough.
I think its even cooler we broke the character unintentionally and they didnt patch it. They actually patched the rune trap in. I found this out playing @NRF CharlieMurphy offline at UFGT. The console wasnt patched and I thought the runes were lagging but it was version 1 and i believe it was negative on hit.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Kabal didn't rely on meter to do 2 xx NDC.
He could also use breakers.
Quan needs his meter for the trap and cannot use breakers.

I think what you're missing is something that Shujinkydink once said. Quan Chi doesn't punish you for "blocking correctly." He punishes you for spacing incorrectly. If you're getting hit hy Quan, you've done something wrong.
And no, the calculations don't go out of the window. Do you know how easy to is to THINK you're going to get the next EN Rune, only to watch as it comes out as a regular one because you didn't manage your meter correctly?

But yes, backdashes do seem to have invc. frames so long as you have movement meter to spend on it, so we likely won't have a Rune Trap situation to begin with.
I didn't say 2 NDC

I said NDC. Because the entire mindgame was the fact that he could burn a bar when you try to interupt. 2 NDC was just a "gimmicky" type thing to show you that i'ma "good Kabal.
The point of the NDC was that there WERE gaps that you could poke/armor through..... yet he could also do the same back.

And yes, the calcs do go out the window because you don't know how much meter you currently have. You can only eyeball it. The only thing you know for sure is if you'll gain enough meter to cover a bar. That is really the only calculation you would need to be doing during a match situation. Knowing when you'd get ONE bar. The rest would be simply watching to make sure your block string covered into the next.

If someone would of put numbers to Kabal's NDC..... would we be saying the same things? Probably yes.
If Mayo would of spent the same time calculating how much meter each different type of NDC gained in reps of certain things... then yeah.

Quans stuff is actually the least thinking mans game you can have. Just because he relies so heavily on the meter, doesn't mean it make it hard to use or even to understand.

He didn't have to stagger, he didn't even have to HC if he didn't want to. All he had to do was touch. Mayo's vids were simply the mechanics behind it, and how to exploit it to the max. Nothing new here.

DangerousBacon

Mechanical Engineering Bitch!
So you guys still want Quan Chi to rely on a bug/glitch instead of being a well designed character? :rolleyes: Oh lord....

Rude

I didn't say 2 NDC

I said NDC. Because the entire mindgame was the fact that he could burn a bar when you try to interupt. 2 NDC was just a "gimmicky" type thing to show you that i'ma "good Kabal.
The point of the NDC was that there WERE gaps that you could poke/armor through..... yet he could also do the same back.

And yes, the calcs do go out the window because you don't know how much meter you currently have. You can only eyeball it. The only thing you know for sure is if you'll gain enough meter to cover a bar. That is really the only calculation you would need to be doing during a match situation. Knowing when you'd get ONE bar. The rest would be simply watching to make sure your block string covered into the next.

If someone would of put numbers to Kabal's NDC..... would we be saying the same things? Probably yes.
If Mayo would of spent the same time calculating how much meter each different type of NDC gained in reps of certain things... then yeah.

Quans stuff is actually the least thinking mans game you can have. Just because he relies so heavily on the meter, doesn't mean it make it hard to use or even to understand.

He didn't have to stagger, he didn't even have to HC if he didn't want to. All he had to do was touch. Mayo's vids were simply the mechanics behind it, and how to exploit it to the max. Nothing new here.

In order to get the MOST out of his meter and to get the Trap as frequently as possible, he DID have to stagger and whiff specials.

Otherwise, his normal meter building during a match simply wasn't enough.

And while he just had to "touch you," he also couldn't use breaker, or armor, and had one of the worst wake-ups in the game.

It is a challenge when you can't use one of the basic "get out of jail" cards in the game.What does a Quan Chi main do when in the middle of a Smoke or Cyrax reset? Burn the bars that could go to runes? To manage your meter properly, you do have to think and make reads. It's not just mashing 212 xx Rune and LOLing for the best. Thinking otherwise ignores fundamental aspects of the character. Doing so gets you punished if you don't manage your meter properly and get regular rune instead.

Not to mention, if you burned all of your meter away early and didn't get the kill?
Or how about having to intentionally spend an entire round specifically building meter in hopes you win the third?

People act like Quan Chi was this touch of death S++++ tier character when he really, really wasn't.

Last edited:

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
In order to get the MOST out of his meter and to get the Trap as frequently as possible, he DID have to stagger and whiff specials.

Otherwise, his normal meter building during a match simply wasn't enough.

And while he just had to "touch you," he also couldn't use breaker, or armor, and had one of the worst wake-ups in the game.

It is a challenge when you can't use one of the basic "get out of jail" cards in the game.What does a Quan Chi main do when in the middle of a Smoke or Cyrax reset? Burn the bars that could go to runes? To manage your meter properly, you do have to think and make reads. It's not just mashing 212 xx Rune and LOLing for the best. Thinking otherwise ignores fundamental aspects of the character. Doing so gets you punished if you don't manage your meter properly and get regular rune instead.

Not to mention, if you burned all of your meter away early and didn't get the kill?
Or how about having to intentionally spend an entire round specifically building meter in hopes you win the third?

People act like Quan Chi was this touch of death S++++ tier character when he really, really wasn't.
You're assuming alot here

I played Dink on the regular...... i know the struggle he had. But you also have to understand that you're SEVERELY up playing how much he relies on "gimmicks" to get his meter. Quan wasn't ever out of a match until you actually killed him. He gained massive amounts of meter just by taking damage. Dink would take hits off of the end of block strings to gain a tad more meter and not eat a full combo.

Quan NEVER had to intentionally lose the 2nd round...... he just didn't play with runes.

Quan DID do good damage with just a bar. So if you did have to breaker, you weren't up shits creek.

He just had bad pokes and slow startup on strings. He relied on jump ins and whiff punishing and being SUPER patient.

Don't act like the character was all "Rune Trap LULOLOLOLOLO"

Especially when one of Mayo's video's was basically dedicated to "Using a single bar of meter to close out a round so you could have meter int he 2nd/3rd round".

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Quan Chi is without question the best character Midway/NRS has created since he was introduced in MK4. With how integral he was in the story of MK9, you'd think he would be in MKX. Variations would most likely be Rune, Trance and Woolay.

Ra Helios

Omnipotent God-like Selina Kyle Player
There is no IF!!!!! Quan Chi will be returning in MKX. Have you even played the campaign? He will probably play a big role in MKX with Shannok.