What's new

Question If Liu Kang could Parry Projectiles...

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
And his ex Parry given a small invincibility startup, how awesome do you think "Loou Keng" would be?

NKZero

Noob
BujinMeijin no his parry only works against physical attacks and if I remember correctly Eddy Wang I think it is susceptible to low attacks?

I don't know how much better he would be. His zoning itself is very good and naturally because of him lowering the hit-box on low fireball + him having instant air projectiles gives him great counter-zoning tools against the majority of the cast in any case. Still he would undoubtedly be better with a projectile parry.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
So he could zone, counter-zone, mix-up, pressure, parry attacks, AND parry projectiles? I would probably just set the controller down.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I don't think it'd matter too much, IMO the parry just needs to have less start-up, his counter-zoning game is absolutely brutal in the right hands, hell, the only character that actually outzones him all round is Freddy and I'm sure he'd be nerfed anyway.

I wish I had a Saturn controller to condition IADFs properly, nothing saddens me more in this game than seeing some mediocre Kang player thinking IAFB means doing fireballs 300 feet above the ground.

3 changes I think would make him perfect:
EX Dragon Kick made safe on block
1 frame startup on parry
A better animated hitbox on D1, the fact that it's 10 frames is kinda neglibile given that it's +5 on hit, but it needs to be more reliable on anti-crossup.

Don't get me wrong, Paulo needs to get this idea out of his head that "oh, that character has this move? We'll make up for it by making one of their pokes useless" because we already saw how well that logic worked out with Noob in contrast to Kenshi.

NKZero

Noob
I don't think it'd matter too much, IMO the parry just needs to have less start-up, his counter-zoning game is absolutely brutal in the right hands, hell, the only character that actually outzones him all round is Freddy and I'm sure he'd be nerfed anyway.

I wish I had a Saturn controller to condition IADFs properly, nothing saddens me more in this game than seeing some mediocre Kang player thinking IAFB means doing fireballs 300 feet above the ground.

3 changes I think would make him perfect:
EX Dragon Kick made safe on block
1 frame startup on parry
A better animated hitbox on D1, the fact that it's 10 frames is kinda neglibile given that it's +5 on hit, but it needs to be more reliable on anti-crossup.
Maybe it's a personal thing but I find Mileena's and Liu Kang's instant air projectiles super easy on a standard pad (meaning very low to the ground). For me Kabal is the only real inconsistency.

Also I agree with every change you suggested. Parry definitely needs improving the only time I would ever use it is when I can see a jump in coming (yet still better off doing an AA combo for more damage). Too risky to even throw out on a read.

STRYKIE

Maybe it's a personal thing but I find Mileena's and Liu Kang's instant air projectiles super easy on a standard pad (meaning very low to the ground). For me Kabal is the only real inconsistency.

Also I agree with every change you suggested. Parry definitely needs improving the only time I would ever use it is when I can see a jump in coming (yet still better off doing an AA combo for more damage). Too risky to even throw out on a read.
Well if we're talking as instantly as possible, I'd rate Kabal's as the easiest by a landslide on a PS pad lol, but to each his own. What I meant was actually controlling the height of them between hitting a standing opponent, slightly sailing over their head to bait things like Kenshi's reflect, or a true high IADF to get the full screen AA into unbreakable damage. I believe he can get another 2 or 3 IADFs into a low dragon fire.

NKZero

Noob
Well if we're talking as instantly as possible, I'd rate Kabal's as the easiest by a landslide on a PS pad lol, but to each his own. What I meant was actually controlling the height of them between hitting a standing opponent, slightly sailing over their head to bait things like Kenshi's reflect, or a true high IADF to get the full screen AA into unbreakable damage. I believe he can get another 2 or 3 IADFs into a low dragon fire.
Ironically of all the instant air inputs I struggle with it's Sektor's instant air teleport uppercut. I never got round to really practising it as much as I would have liked. However even though Kitana's has the same motion I for some reason find it easier to do (maybe to do with inputing d/f+1 instead of d/f+4).

Oh controlling the height. Yeah I see your point. I don't know what a Saturn controller is though :oops:.

AssassiN

Noob
It wouldn't help him that much, it's a buff he doesn't need.
It would make his MU's against characters with zoning tools better, but not against Kenshi and Kabal.
He would do a better job against Freddy, but again it isn't something he needs.

LK isn't a character that needs buffs or nerfs, he is a balanced character, although his parry isn't that great with that 9 frame start-up.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Don't get me wrong, Paulo needs to get this idea out of his head that "oh, that character has this move? We'll make up for it by making one of their pokes useless" because we already saw how well that logic worked out with Noob in contrast to Kenshi.
That's an issue most of the cast had on some MU, specially those with 10 to 12 frame startups against a character who has a 9 frame startup and once it hits, its neutral on block and + on hit. ^^

Yes i agree that 1 frame parry would make Liu pretty damn good, and i think he would have the best counter with meter overall.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
What puts me off Kang players are those annoying people who do that B3 kombo 5 times in a row. I have better things to do than be on the end of that kombo.

GGA Saucy Jack

The artist formerly known as ImNewbieSauce
I don't think this would change anything frankly.

Parry sucks because it gets baited and full comboed, or poked, or low launched. Not because it gets stuffed.

He doesnt need to parry projectiles. He can counter zone fine.

He still has a huge hit box

He still has hella unsafe armor

He still gets ass fucked by Kenshi.

He is still just outside top 10 with that change.

STRYKIE

I don't think this would change anything frankly.

Parry sucks because it gets baited and full comboed, or poked, or low launched. Not because it gets stuffed.

He doesnt need to parry projectiles. He can counter zone fine.

He still has a huge hit box

He still has hella unsafe armor

He still gets ass fucked by Kenshi.

He is still just outside top 10 with that change.
Newbie pls. At least your projectiles still trade before active frames and your hitbox isn't big to your point where 99% of highs are jailing you on crouch block. :coffee:

In regards to the thread topic though, it would be hilarious watching Kang parry his own reflected fireballs.

It wouldn't help him that much, it's a buff he doesn't need.
It would make his MU's against characters with zoning tools better, but not against Kenshi and Kabal.
He would do a better job against Freddy, but again it isn't something he needs.

LK isn't a character that needs buffs or nerfs, he is a balanced character, although his parry isn't that great with that 9 frame start-up.
I agree that he's one of the more balanced characters in the game, I just think they went the wrong way about balancing him. A truly balanced character would have 5-5s across the board with sporadic 6-4s and 4-6s, not 7-3s AND 3-7s lol.

AssassiN

Noob
I agree that he's one of the more balanced characters in the game, I just think they went the wrong way about balancing him. A truly balanced character would have 5-5s across the board with sporadic 6-4s and 4-6s, not 7-3s AND 3-7s lol.

That ain't his fault, his 7-3's are against low tier characters while 3-7's are Freddy and Kenshi.

GGA Saucy Jack

The artist formerly known as ImNewbieSauce
STRYKIE

I said he can counter zone fine. I don't understand your implication that I was complaining about his projectiles and their "active frames." Liu has very good zoning.

And his hitbox isn't Kenshi huge, but 2ndc and f413 are still a problem. That just means his hitbox is big.

You misunderstood my post. I'm not saying Liu is shite. I'm saying that letting him parry projectiles or have invincibility on startup doesn't help his actual problems, and wouldn't change much about the character.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
In regards to the thread topic though, it would be hilarious watching Kang parry his own reflected fireballs.
Reflecting Projectiles with Kenshi, Nightwolf and maybe smoke would be useless, and probably he would be a bad MU for these guys, because he would zone all day. LOL

Reflecting Projectiles with Kenshi, Nightwolf and maybe smoke would be useless, and probably he would be a bad MU for these guys, because he would zone all day. LOL
It wouldn't affect Smoke and Smoke could just shake any fireball or get a combo by trading with his smoke bomb (unparryable I would assume). Kenshi can use an overhead smash immediately after using reflect making Kang unable to parry back so I'm not sure if smash or fireball would hit Kang first, I guess it would slightly help him zone Nightwolf though

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Yea, I don't think parrying projectiles would change his gameplay that much. As already stated, he's already a great counter-zoner. Just make it faster, that would help him against pressure. Where he struggles the most, since he has mediocre pokes and a large hitbox.

*sigh* 10 frame d1...

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
I'd rather have Kang absorb projectiles for health, like Kenshi and Nightwolf. Say that it's a perk for being Champion of the Earthrealm MK Tournament.