What's new

If KBs were standardized...

Hello,

I see that people complain and frequently discuss the imbalance with how KBs work across the cast- those with two on their throws, some with impractical requirements.

So... if KBs were standardized across the case (e.g. everyone had two throw ones, or no one had a throw one but all had a counter poke one), would the current meta/tier list of the cast change?

This shouldn't even be a question. Throw KBs was a very stupid idea imo.
Whether you agree or not with them, and I don't, the question is whether the meta/tier list would change if everyone had KBs with the same requirements

Last edited:
I dont want this to become a KB bashing... that has clearly happened tons already... but keen to know if people think standardized ones would change the meta/tier list?

I'm assuming some characters rank high just because of their KBs

Zviko

Noob
It depends I guess. If everyone had both it probably wouldn't change much because good mids and shimmy game is what makes characters so good right now. Throw KB just makes it easier for them to open people up with their shimmy. It doesn't work the other way around though and Frost pre patch is a perfect example. 2 throw KBs since the start and it didn't matter at all. Tiers would stay pretty much the same imo.

If everyone had none, some characters would probably drop a bit because they'd be much less scary at close. Liu Kang probably. And some characters like Geras or Jacqui don't give a damn.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
it should be standardized and they should be kustomizable:
  • counter
  • combo
  • punish
  • d2
  • hop attack
  • kustom

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I get that a certain degree of commonality is sensible and even desirable, but I don't really feel like KB need to be a part of that. Normalizing stuff is kind of a lame and easy mode way of balancing things. It makes things easier, but It's not expressive and it constricts the number of dials the devs have to balance in complex and interesting ways.

I could probably live with a second universal KB assuming some of the characters with lots of easy to hit ones lost something. The hop attack KB idea seems interesting, or maybe if there was a way to get one off a flawless block to encourage an investment there. Something like it KB's off a 3rd FBU2 or something.

Overall, I don't see them as a big problem. Some characters get a lot of them but are probably expected to. Getting hit by a mess of them makes it feel like something unbalanced is happening, but that may often be more perception than reality.

There is probably an argument in there as to if it was wise to build such extreme differences in KB frequency across characters. Having characters that are basically expected to KB all the time makes it seem like you are just getting blown up when that may not be as true as it feels. I think it's an interesting dial to use for balance, but maybe it was over weighted. I don't know if that is a solvable problem at this point; if it even really qualifies as a problem.

Hebrew Negro

KingofBosz97 XBL
People are already complaining that this game is "too balanced" in terms of character diversity, so having every character have the exact same kbs would make the tier list get wider and be less interesting/creative period.

bring back counter hit krushing blows in mid combo. also yeah no more both way throw krushing blows

Last edited:
Universal KBs would be a nice change imo. Some characters have to work much harder than others, for example almost all of Kabal's KBs are off of punish/counter hit so he can get his all day, while you have Raiden who has some of the worst ones in the game and has no explosive factor.

I think the universal KBs should be :
Counter Hit/Punish
D2
Land in a combo of "X" many hits (like Baraka's gutted KB for example)
A KB that triggers after you land it 3 or more times
ONE throw KB.

I feel like this would help characters with lackluster KBs out a bunch while not really changing anything for the KB blessed

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
Tragically, most of them are already standardized between some characters. For example;

Throw Krushing Blows; Frost, Noob Saibot, Liu Kang, Skarlet, Raiden, Kabal, Kung Lao, Shang Tsung, Nightwolf, Sindel, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Kano, Shao Kahn, Jax etc.. Except Shao Kahn, Jax and Shang Tsung same requirements same damage or same damage by damage over time.

Kounter or Punish Krushing Blows; Noob Saibot, Kabal, Raiden, Skarlet, Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Geras etc.. many of them..

D2 KB; Everyone

Only the last or second hit KBs ; Sindel, Shang Tsung, Sonya, Jade( some sort of), Geras, Kitana(i guess) etc..

Don't know you but to me KBs are already looks standardized more than not standardized. or shit like standardized.

There is few different weird ones i know.... like 10 fucking shadow attacks for Noob for example but as i said... few..

Last edited:

ryublaze

Noob
I think some KBs need to be reworked since there are characters who have really easy KBs while some of the others don't. It's an entirely new mechanic that either makes or breaks a character so i think it should at least be looked at