What's new

If custom variations were legal, who would you main?

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I know a lot of people are cynical about this never happening but I think it will, eventually. Maybe in specific tourneys, but I do see it happening. I think it's far more likely that they'll have new variations, but that's fine too, as long as we get some diversity. I refuse to play some characters because of their tourney variations, who would you main if customs were legal or if they were just different?

I would definitely use Kabal as a secondary since I had a blast playing with him in the beta. Hook grab is a must IMO, and one of the specials that really make him fun as hell to play.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I’d pick the same characters probably, all dlc lol. Shao, Shang, Sindel and Ash are my favorite characters so that’s a lock no matter what.

I don’t even know most of the custom moves for characters tbh lol. I know my characters and a few like sub who have some cool unused abilities. Shang would be much cooler of course, I would probably play him more.

I need to go back to playing kasuals. When I start getting that bored feeling I’m gonna explore kustom variations and fart around more. I haven't hit that point so far though, ranked is cool and I’m still having fun.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Kano, Kung Lao and Kotal all become much better characters using moves that aren't in their tournament variations. A lot of people want the ninja moves for Shang Tsung also.
Oh yeah definitely, if Shang had the ninja specials I’d play him.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
Kitty probably. Mid fan toss and a launcher make her a way better character. Third move barely matters at that point.

Haven't looked into most of the characters but from the beta I know Jade and Baraka can be real crazy too.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
I'd still use Cassie (Kneecappin, Shoulder Charge, Air Bullet Barrage) and Johnny (Caged Rage, Rising Star, Pissed Off). I'd most likely also use Kano (Lumbar Check, Chemical Burn, Vege-Mighty) and Kabal (Low Hook Grab, Hook Grab, Extended Hook)

CriticalDrop

Beers, grabs & dropped combos
I would play the same characters, but I'd enjoy a lot playing my Kano custom loadouts in ranked and I'd probably add Kitana to my current secondaries roster (Cassie and Nightwolf), I've always been a fan of the character itself.

EDIT: Ah, and I would replace Flippin' out with Shoulder Charge in Cassie's Digital Soldier variation, of course.

GothamInGray

Hanzo Main
I'd probably still main Scorpion (give me Demon Dash and I'm the happiest man alive), but characters like Kollector or Sub-Zero would get a lot more play and lab time from me.