What's new

IDGAF Throws Are Too Strong

Wicked

Noob
Read most of the stuff here. General concensus is that throws do too much damage, and the 50/50 nonsense is annoying. Honestly I'd feel better if we were able to tech throws while blocking which someone else mentioned. I play Soul Calibur and it works, so why can't MK11 have it? I do wish throws did less damage (for KB as well). I will admit, I haven't been D2'ing enough and adapting to throws is something I need work on.

Agreed, however, what are we supposed to do? All of our canned strings whiff or are so slow we can bbq some steaks and still be back on time to catch the startup frames...poke?...d1?....the obvious choice is throw. Insane priority....free 50/50..and could lead to KB. Jump in kick throws. All day

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
And you act like ALL of those options don't get blown up(universally at that) by the throw mixup itself.

In any situation where you might get thrown, you ALSO might get frametrapped. The frametrap is going to blow up Jump, duck, grab, specials, pokes, and techs. That's fine and expected. The problem is you have a NESTED MIXUP in the throw.

It's astounding that people are defending this.

Every time you get + frames on someone they HAVE to STOP BLOCKING or they might get thrown. At which point you can crouch ALL you want but now you're gonna get opened up by an overhead, low, mid OR throw. The sheer threat of the (too strong) throw opens you up to EVERYTHING ELSE in an attempt to defend from the throw. Then you FINALLY defend a throw but there's still ONE MORE coinflip on top of that.

Throws are too strong, point blank period. They offer no viable counterplay than "flip or coin" or "eat the throw".
Let me get this straight, you believe because some characters have frame Traps that throws are broke. I disagree it's an option to make a guess game not a game breaking mechanic.
Maybe certain characters shouldn't leave them so close after throw for loops but there are legit counters to almost everything in this game.

Throws are fair, what you suggested would require more than half the roster to be reworked. Seems counter productive to me.

Personally I like how throws counter pokes. Since there is a meta ruled by countering highs it's nice to have that tool. And yes SF pokes beat throws but that's SF not This game and both have completely different metas. Instead of people focusing on older MKs and other games they should adapt to this one.

There is guesses of may things in fighters, throw, Overhead Low, frame Traps, number of hits, staggers ect. What makes some hate throw guess over the rest? At least with throws there are ways to avoid it and tech it. Seems like they are the fairest option and in my opinion the tech window is the largest I've seen.

Last edited:

Trevor

Noob
Skip to 9:09 in your video, read the OP, then realize you're an idiot.
Easy there keyboard warrior. I didn't mean to intrude in your post. Don't let that aunt flow ruin your cool. Perhaps I saw the title and didn't really care to read too much into your incoherent comment.

Easy there keyboard warrior. I didn't mean to intrude in your post. Don't let that aunt flow ruin your cool. Perhaps I saw the title and didn't really care to read too much into your incoherent comment.
You came in trying to dunk on me, miss me with the pretentious attitude

Malec

Noob
Didnt the Patchnotes say that throws have less priority now? I am still getting thrown while doing d2, d1, d3

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Didnt the Patchnotes say that throws have less priority now? I am still getting thrown while doing d2, d1, d3
I haven't labbed this extensively, but having more priority doesn't mean that those attacks will always win especially if mistimed, there's context to everything.

I had someone complain about my throw eating their down 1 but they neglected to recall that I landed a plus 10 down 3 and thus they had no business beating my throw while mashing down 1 lol.

Malec

Noob
I haven't labbed this extensively, but having more priority doesn't mean that those attacks will always win especially if mistimed, there's context to everything.

I had someone complain about my throw eating their down 1 but they neglected to recall that I landed a plus 10 down 3 and thus they had no business beating my throw while mashing down 1 lol.
Most of the time its my opponent tries to stagger me into throw, I instantly d2 (8f for robocop for example), I see the start of the uppercut animation and I am still getting thrown. I call bullshit in this.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Most of the time its my opponent tries to stagger me into throw, I instantly d2 (8f for robocop for example), I see the start of the uppercut animation and I am still getting thrown. I call bullshit in this.
I used to have the same issue. I'd know a throw was coming so I would mash d2, and sure enough the d2 and throw would come out and the d2 would get "eaten". A much better plan is to try to develop a different habit for when you read a throw. Some people neutral crouch, some hop, but either way, you can land a much better punish than d2, just gotta get past that instinct to mash it when you read an incoming throw. It also gives your opponent that second or two of "oh fuck" as their character tries to hug the air, which is just super satisfying.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
I'm really bad at math but the only conclusion I can think of is that they're staggering off a plus frame command normal or normal and the throw (10f) is "eating" your d2 (8f). I could be wrong though.

Last edited:

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I'm really bad at math but the only conclusion I can think of is that they're staggering off a plus frame command normal or string and the throw (10f) is "eating" your d2 (8f). I could be wrong though.
Could also depend on lag if we're talking about online, and simple reaction times not always being frame perfect.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
In MKX, D2s beat throws outright. They changed that in MK11. In this game, you have to neuch it first or else you're going to get thrown out of your d2 every time.

The reason being (if I recall correctly) is that throws in MK11 act as mids instead of highs. Which is also why throws can beat low pokes like D4s in this game.

If you're getting thrown the throw was active before your uppercut, there's really no other explanation.

What the patch did is when the active frames of a throw and an attack collide at the same time the attack will win 100% of the time.

Last edited:
I agree throw KBs do too much damage. IMO they should be brought down to 25%, at least for Liu and other high tiers with a kb on both throws + an unstoppable strike/throw game