What's new

Idea for Shao Kahn changes

This is just spit-balling an idea, but I thought of some possible changes for Shao revolving around his self-buffs. On the taunts, they could simply add a meter burn option to give armor on them. That way, you could potentially get the move out on a large portion of the cast. As far as the priest buff, I was kinda looking at Vaseraga from GBFV for an idea. The MB priest could give armor to certain moves, like maybe Shoulder Charge, instead of the damage buff. I don't think these changes would necessarily improve him by a huge margin, but they could give him more of an identity in the game. They could also be worthless. What do y'all think?

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
The only problem with that is it wouldn't really achieve much he would still be the worst character in the game , his Frame data and moves need to all be adjusted

Wigy

There it is...
Not a khan main but my friend is and i play him a bit.

s1 actually hit high.
f34 safe. That way theres good counterplay but they have to come off resources to punish with a scaled combo.
142 no fb gap.

his abilities dont add much to his game outside of armour break spear. Annihilation is pretty good for oki and damage also.

Last edited:
What y'all said makes a lot of sense. I guess I want to make sure his game plan of being high risk/high reward remains. I do think he should also have some low risk/low reward options as well. One of his specials should be negative but safe on block. Another idea I had on the taunts is to make them debuff the opponents' meter instead. Make the frames of the taunts in line with other such moves, but make them drain a bar of offensive or defensive meter, respectively. If the opponent lands a hit, the drain stops. I'm not suggesting this as a buff, but a change to make him more unique. I feel like it'd give him just a deeper game plan and a unique interaction with the meter system. For frames, I feel like safety should be balanced with reward.

For example:
  • Get rid of the gap in f2,4. The reward isn't like f2,1, so why should it be punished so much?
  • make f3 safe, so it can be actually staggered
  • reduce the gap in f3,4. The only reason I say to keep a gap is because I think Annihilation should be safe with a damage reduction. So then the counter-play around f3 stagger, f3 x Annihilation, f3 x Charge, and f3,4.
I'm a mediocre player at best, so I may be completely off base. I like having defined playstyles for characters.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
They could make his humiliation taunts special cancellable

For example while Shao is pointing at you telling you "YOU SUCK" at any moment he could instantly cancel the taunt into shoulder charge or air grab or any other special move. That way people would have to think twice before punishing. The would make it more dynamic and interesting

But of course if you special cancel the taunt, Shao doesn't receive the buff from it

kantboy-2

Ripper
F3,4 should not have a gap.
Taunts should be base, and like FK said, special cancelable.
Last Breath F3,4,(1+3) should become a stand alone command grab. (He does it in story mode) Replace 1+3 with the overhead from his other kombo.
Include a reverse animation on Dark Priest to power up his projectiles.

I love this character.

MadPropz101

"I still got it...but not much of it"
honestly think this would make him potato pressure into like 40% which you cant break.
They can make it come out slower, like 13 frames or sumtn, but it needs to be safe. It's completely useless rn

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Just make Shao's B3 safe. now he has a button he can throw out whenever for maximum reward and no risk.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
only reasonable buff nrs can be assed to do for shao kahn right now is just switch liu kang and shao kahns names at character select, now hes better

What y'all said makes a lot of sense. I guess I want to make sure his game plan of being high risk/high reward remains. I do think he should also have some low risk/low reward options as well. One of his specials should be negative but safe on block. Another idea I had on the taunts is to make them debuff the opponents' meter instead. Make the frames of the taunts in line with other such moves, but make them drain a bar of offensive or defensive meter, respectively. If the opponent lands a hit, the drain stops. I'm not suggesting this as a buff, but a change to make him more unique. I feel like it'd give him just a deeper game plan and a unique interaction with the meter system. For frames, I feel like safety should be balanced with reward.

For example:
  • Get rid of the gap in f2,4. The reward isn't like f2,1, so why should it be punished so much?
  • make f3 safe, so it can be actually staggered
  • reduce the gap in f3,4. The only reason I say to keep a gap is because I think Annihilation should be safe with a damage reduction. So then the counter-play around f3 stagger, f3 x Annihilation, f3 x Charge, and f3,4.
I'm a mediocre player at best, so I may be completely off base. I like having defined playstyles for characters.
I made a video about it, check it out

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
i mean its a launcher that leads to like 30%+ and covers a massive area. Eating some 10% shadowkick is whatever.
It's not just that, it sends him fullscreen to be zoned.

If it's a against Sub Zero, eating 16% slides is more than taking a grab. 3 of them loads up the KB for a 31% punisher.

Wigy

There it is...
It's not just that, it sends him fullscreen to be zoned.

If it's a against Sub Zero, eating 16% slides is more than taking a grab. 3 of them loads up the KB for a 31% punisher.
i think the nature of b3 having crazy range and huge aerial hitbox allows him to check you very strongly at a particular range. Honestly after his annihilation in the corner you cant move as his b3 just covers everything and leads to massive damage.

its very strong as it is and doesnt need touched. Any safer it would be braindead.
Also even reacting to blocking and punishing you need to be expecting it somewhat.

Pyrosis

Gentlemen, behold! My opinion!
F3,4 no flawless blockable gap. F3 safe on block. I'd literally be happy with this for as long as the game is being played and never ask for another buff ever.