What's new

(Idea) Coaching for Newcomers in MK 11?

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
This might not be directly related to MK11, but with it coming out in just 4 months, it's bound to attract new players to both MK and the fighting game genre in general. With that in mind, and after spending time with other games for a while, I got an idea that I figured I'd share here to see if it's viable. It's also been a hot minute since I've been on this site, so I don't know if this has already been done.

Long story short, after I took a break from Mkx, I got into Overwatch. A fairly common thing that I noticed in that community was the presence of high-level players wiling to directly coach lower level players looking to improve their skills. This indirectly helped other players such as myself who were maybe making the same mistakes as the people being coached.

Now, I don't want to downplay the hard work that people put into labbing and discovering new tech and posting it here. That played a massive part in my own improvement, and I'm sure a lot of people who've visited this site felt the same. But sometimes there are certain bad habits you don't notice that are holding you back, or certain fundamentals that you have trouble picking up or don't even think about. These sorts of things can be difficult to pin down on your own, and having a one-on-one with someone who really knows your character looking over your gameplay, offering advice and their thought processes when playing x-matchup, can be just the thing needed to reach the next level.

I'd love to be one of those people offering to coach, but I've gotten WAY too rusty during my time away. Once the game launches, people looking to learn new things may stumble across this place, and that sort of learning resource could prove invaluable if people are willing to volunteer.

So, what do you think? Good idea? Bad idea? Wishful thinking? Just thought I'd share what I know has helped me improve as a player in other games.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
I always thought making detailed tutorial videos were better than coaching individually. You cover infinitely more ground and it’s good as a reference tool. Honestly if every FG community made beginners, intermediate, advanced, and pro tip tutorials their communities would be so much better and stronger imo.

Just my advice though.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
If Sindel comes back for MK11 I am going to try, for the first time in my life, to actually git gud. I think general videos are a good idea, because honestly getting a handle on the basics -- combo conversion, cancelling, footsies, etc -- is half the battle.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
This might not be directly related to MK11, but with it coming out in just 4 months, it's bound to attract new players to both MK and the fighting game genre in general. With that in mind, and after spending time with other games for a while, I got an idea that I figured I'd share here to see if it's viable. It's also been a hot minute since I've been on this site, so I don't know if this has already been done.

Long story short, after I took a break from Mkx, I got into Overwatch. A fairly common thing that I noticed in that community was the presence of high-level players wiling to directly coach lower level players looking to improve their skills. This indirectly helped other players such as myself who were maybe making the same mistakes as the people being coached.

Now, I don't want to downplay the hard work that people put into labbing and discovering new tech and posting it here. That played a massive part in my own improvement, and I'm sure a lot of people who've visited this site felt the same. But sometimes there are certain bad habits you don't notice that are holding you back, or certain fundamentals that you have trouble picking up or don't even think about. These sorts of things can be difficult to pin down on your own, and having a one-on-one with someone who really knows your character looking over your gameplay, offering advice and their thought processes when playing x-matchup, can be just the thing needed to reach the next level.

I'd love to be one of those people offering to coach, but I've gotten WAY too rusty during my time away. Once the game launches, people looking to learn new things may stumble across this place, and that sort of learning resource could prove invaluable if people are willing to volunteer.

So, what do you think? Good idea? Bad idea? Wishful thinking? Just thought I'd share what I know has helped me improve as a player in other games.
High level players in this community usually want you to pay them for coaching. I'm sure there are exceptions but that's what I've seen.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Do you really need coaches when you have character breakdowns + tutorials on game mechanics on youtube? Understanding all of this stuff is not that hard tbh.
Getting better isn’t just about understanding the mechanics; it’s about the choices you make as a player. It can never hurt to have someone better look at your gameplay and point out areas where you could improve or could have made better decisions.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I think coaching would be great. Not only for helping newer players, but I think it also promotes a friendlier and more sociable online scene.

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
While I agree with @Juggs about the message he posted, tutorials can have lots of stuff that can’t be taught(adaptation, experience, dealing with unpredictability etc) so it wouldn’t hurt to have a trainer or partner that’s higher than you to bring you up to their level. I don’t think you necessarily NEED a top player. I think them charging for being a tutor is BS but can’t hate too hard on another persons hustle but that’s just my opinion. But for reference I started back in ij2 and never had a top player to spar with occasionally and during inj2/mkx I won a few sets with bunch of high level/top players in the scene. I like this idea though it’s cool. There’s a really good school for dbfz made by turtle hermit on reddit. You guys should check that out cause something like that with MK11 would be astounding

Last edited:

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
I knew people were gona start asking for this stuff free

As the only top nrs player left on this site, please don't hit me up asking for friendlies as if I don't put all my time and money into this game and you're going to play me just for "free" while learning from me?

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
Y i k e s. Don't need to pay some 'top player' with a stick up his ass to teach you how to play a game when there are other means to do so. Would be a waste of money anyway.

There are plenty of other people who post videos and tutorials on how to do these things for FREE, and they're not dicks! I'd rather do the research myself than listen to a self-proclaimed top guy who thinks he's all that.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
I am a firm believer that nobody should have to pay money to be taught things. When we teach people how to get better at games through guides, tutorials or other methods, we encourage growth and people to keep coming back. I think the idea that everyone has to make money off of every single thing they do to be very discouraging and a sign of how overdone people are. I also grow as a player when I do my guides. I didn't do video guides for Injustice 2, but I did them for MK9, INJ1, and MKX and was very satisfied with how well people responded to them. I did written guides for Injustice 2.

Everyone wins when you educate others including the person doing the education with or without financial gain. If you're merely trying to learn the nuances or how to do better/get competent these do not require a top player to level up in or a fee to be paid.

Do you really need coaches when you have character breakdowns + tutorials on game mechanics on youtube? Understanding all of this stuff is not that hard tbh.
You'd be surprised. Frame data, whiff punishing/spacing is quite overwhelming for a lot of new people. It seems easy now because a lot of us have been doing it for quite some time (almost a decade or more for some of us). In my humble opinion the concept isn't quite grasped by a lot of people that have been playing for at least one full life of a game not even getting into total newbies to taking a game seriousy.

Don't worry, we won't.
I felt that from here lul.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Y i k e s. Don't need to pay some 'top player' with a stick up his ass to teach you how to play a game when there are other means to do so. Would be a waste of money anyway.

There are plenty of other people who post videos and tutorials on how to do these things for FREE, and they're not dicks! I'd rather do the research myself than listen to a self-proclaimed top guy who thinks he's all that.
I don’t really get this attitude in this community. People pay money for sports training, english tutoring, music lessons, martial arts training, personal weight training, and pretty much every other form of apprenticeship you can name.

If someone is willing to take the time to invest in making you better at something they’re highly skilled at, you absolutely should pay them unless they’re doing it because you’re already friends or part of their scene.

Lessons are one way that skilled practitioners of certain things earn a living, and with all the complaints about how even great players struggle to pay rent from tournaments, we should be strongly in favor of this as something to help pave our future.

With that said, this don’t mean that people can’t help someone out for free if they so choose. But making people feel like they’re weird, greedy or arrogant for asking for compensation for their time shows a big disconnect with the real world.

Likewise, if someone is paying, you should give them a true, professional quality lesson, with a detailed analysis of their playing and a roadmap to get better — not just playing a set and giving two words of advice.

This FGC the only community community I know of where we want the winners to be paid but want to receive everything else of value for free.

Last edited:

x TeeJay o

I don’t really get this attitude in this community. People pay money for sports training, english tutoring, music lessons, martial arts training, personal weight training, and pretty much every other form of apprenticeship you can name.

If someone is willing to take the time to invest in making you better at something they’re highly skilled at, you absolutely should pay them unless they’re doing it because you’re already friends or part of their scene.

Lessons are one way that skilled practitioners of certain things earn a living, and with all the complaints about how even great players struggle to pay rent from tournaments, we should be strongly in favor of this as something to help pave our future.

With that said, this don’t mean that people can’t help someone out for free if they so choose. But making people feel like they’re weird, greedy or arrogant for asking for compensation for their time shows a big disconnect with the real world.

Likewise, if someone is paying, you should give them a true, professional quality lesson, with a detailed analysis of their playing and a roadmap to get better — not just playing a set and giving two words of advice.

This FGC the only community community I know of where we want the winners to be paid but want to receive everything else of value for free.
Honestly what are they going to teach or tell you that isn’t already free info online? The internet is FULL of stuff that helps ppl get better and the thing that’s annoying is that these dudes be charging ppl $40 just to play with them for an hour lmao. Like I get your point but sadly I can’t lump a FG or any game for that matter to any actual professional sport. Everyone can try to push this “E-Sports” agenda but it’ll never work on me. Gaming isn’t a sport. So ppl shouldn’t charge for shit they can likely find on google but again that’s my opinion ..

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
lul crimson dont explain to the so woke and gdlk bums bro. this guy’s entire education can be learned at the library for free but you know public schools cost 0$ so - oh wait lul

No need for that, your dad takes good care of me.
that made no sense but ok bro

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
Okay, I get paying for tutoring or whatever. But, what I don't like are the people offering their oh-so legendary knowledge (Which, like stated, is ALL available online...) being total dickheads and thinking they're superior so they DESERVE our money. "Oh, I'm the top player on this site, so you should pay me to play a video game with me and don't even bother asking to play if you don't pay me." Like, you don't deserve special treatment just because you know how to play a damn video game...I also don't see why anyone would want to learn anything from you because you're a douche, but...whatever floats their boat.

I'm sure I can find hundreds of videos about frame data, whiff punishing, and spacing. The best part about that is...no need to pay them...because not everyone feels the need to extort noobs into playing with them or to get them to share their forbidden knowledge...which is not forbidden...and not worth money...

Just seems like a waste of money, as well as time. But, you know what? I get it...being a professional dickhead might not pay the bills, so you gotta get your money where you can.

(This also isn't directed towards the fighting game tutors who aren't dicks. I'm positive there are some genuinely nice people out there who know a thing or two. I really don't have a problem with asking to be paid...just don't be a dick about it, yeah?)

x TeeJay o

lul crimson dont explain to the so woke and gdlk bums bro. this guy’s entire education can be learned at the library for free but you know public schools cost 0$ so - oh wait lul

that made no sense but ok bro
Bruh. Get Off My Dick.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Coaching would definitely help players of all skill levels - from beginner to pro. There's a reason players like to coach each other in tournaments

If someone is d̶u̶m̶b̶ d̶e̶s̶p̶e̶r̶a̶t̶e̶ willing enough to pay for top player coaching then fair enough, more power to them. I'd respect the grind. Should pro players charge? Well I mean if you're looking for quick advice here and there then nah but if you're posing no challenge to them so they're not learning anything, yet still looking for extended sets and thorough feedback then that's time they could've spent grinding. So if they wanted to charge who could blame them when time is money, I say fair enough

Lemme reiterate that I'm talking about pro players only. That doesn't extend to top players or any shmuck with a sponsor

Also HeavyNorse is killing it in this thread lmfao