What's new

I'd like some tips

Advins

Noob
So I picked mortal Kombat 11 a week ago and you could say it's my first mortal Kombat game, I want to commit to it and learn it both compttively and just for fun but I have some problems.

1.i use rn a duelshock 3 which the PC sees it as xbox360(since people told me controller is way better then keybored,also my first time using a controller),which controller is best to get for this game? The steam one PS4 one or from Xbox ?with turbo mode or without?
2.im new to the fighting game , I played here and there but I always were bad, I want to step up my level and get better any general tips? Beside practice a ton and do towers of time which I'm trying, like I'm not used to quickly press buttons non stop, having problems doing combos i found online or finding my own, im basically clueless, I don't know who to main cus I like sub zero jhoony erron and also noob,
3. I'm really bad when it comes to memorize combos, I come from games like rainbow six and leuage where there isn't tons of buttons to remember and is there any way to remember them better? Any trick or something?
And what's the best way to practice?
Thanks for anyone who helps

FanTalk

The 5th Yonko
  1. I can't answer that. I'm sorry.
  2. Do not use Towers of Time as a practice.
  3. Memorization for fighting games is not that hard as it may seem.
When it comes to maiming. Find a play-style that you find fun.
General tip: Watch pro players play,

The greatest tip I can offer and everyone here. DO NOT prioritize on winning when playing competitively. Set small goals and work your way up. This is the best way to level up. I remember the first time I did a combo. Lost the match but I was proud of myself for doing something I always thought was hard.

Last edited:

Advins

Noob
  1. I can't answer that. I'm sorry.
  2. Do not use Towers of Time as a practice.
  3. Memorization for fighting games is not that hard as it may seem.
When it comes to maiming. Find a play-style that you find fun.
General tip: Watch pro players play,

The greatest tip I can offer and everyone here. DO NOT prioritize on winning when playing competitively. Set small goals and work your way up. This is the best way to level up. I remember the first time I did a combo. Lost the match but I was proud of myself for doing something I always that was hard.
Alright, thanks!

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
So I picked mortal Kombat 11 a week ago and you could say it's my first mortal Kombat game, I want to commit to it and learn it both compttively and just for fun but I have some problems...
You're on PC? What's your steam name?

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
So I picked mortal Kombat 11 a week ago and you could say it's my first mortal Kombat game, I want to commit to it and learn it both compttively and just for fun but I have some problems.

1.i use rn a duelshock 3 which the PC sees it as xbox360(since people told me controller is way better then keybored,also my first time using a controller),which controller is best to get for this game? The steam one PS4 one or from Xbox ?with turbo mode or without?
2.im new to the fighting game , I played here and there but I always were bad, I want to step up my level and get better any general tips? Beside practice a ton and do towers of time which I'm trying, like I'm not used to quickly press buttons non stop, having problems doing combos i found online or finding my own, im basically clueless, I don't know who to main cus I like sub zero jhoony erron and also noob,
3. I'm really bad when it comes to memorize combos, I come from games like rainbow six and leuage where there isn't tons of buttons to remember and is there any way to remember them better? Any trick or something?
I don’t know but I would argue that at your level, it doesn’t really matter. Just use a controller and not a keyboard, that’s key lol.

Ignore Towers for practice. You need to get the combos down. It’s pure muscle memory. Break down the combo in small parts and practice the first part until you get it consistently, then add the second part, then do both constantly until you always get the sequence right, then add another part, etc. Regardless of how long it takes, you must know your combos and eventually, you’ll do them automatically without thinking about it.

Set the AI to hard and practice blocking their attacks

Do not jump excessively

Practice punishing unsafe move your opponent may do. For example, have subzero throw an iceball then block and practice punishing him before he blocks

Pick a character who you like their play style. Do you like to be in ppl’s face and rush them down, do you like to stand back and keep them away, do you like to control space? Pick based on your style.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!

1. I recommend a Horipad for XBoxONE and PC. This is perfectly compatible and a nice, fairly well-priced controller.
  2. Google for Fighting Game Fundamentals. Read everything you can find and look up UltraChen on Youtube. They have a series explaining how to approach the concept of fighting games and even though they use Street Fighter to do so, it is very clear and very relevant to MK or any fighting game for that matter.
  3. Familiarise yourself with Training Mode and all its functions.
This is not something you can do overnight, it takes time and effort so take it easy, read and watch everything you can find and take it one step at a time.

Good luck!

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
Step 1: pick a character you like visually.
Step 2: go to training mode, practice punishes, memorize general moves and combos.
Step 3: go to towers of time to practice what you've learned in training and coolect goodies.
Step 4: go online and have your ass kicked.
Step 5: go back to training mode and learn punishes against characters you had your ass kicked by.
Step 6: go back online and kick ass.
If at any point you don't enjoy the character you've picked the first time, go back to step 1.
By the step 3 and 4 you'll have learned what footsies are and adapt.
When you find your character you'll be at steps 5 and 6.
Step 7: teabag when possible. It'll raise your morale. In fighting games it is imperative that you are calm and calculated.

Advins

Noob
I don’t know but I would argue that at your level, it doesn’t really matter. Just use a controller and not a keyboard, that’s key lol.

Ignore Towers for practice. You need to get the combos down. It’s pure muscle memory. Break down the combo in small parts and practice the first part until you get it consistently, then add the second part, then do both constantly until you always get the sequence right, then add another part, etc. Regardless of how long it takes, you must know your combos and eventually, you’ll do them automatically without thinking about it.

Set the AI to hard and practice blocking their attacks

Do not jump excessively

Practice punishing unsafe move your opponent may do. For example, have subzero throw an iceball then block and practice punishing him before he blocks

Pick a character who you like their play style. Do you like to be in ppl’s face and rush them down, do you like to stand back and keep them away, do you like to control space? Pick based on your style.
Thanks a lot!

Syd Barrett Lives

Italian Psychopath
  • do the tutorials, they're very deep and detailed and can teach you a lot of useful basics about fighting games. Don't be scared of repeating the more important a couple times.
  • try different characters in klassic towers just to get a feel for them. Don't worry about combos in the beginning, just do special moves.
  • Choose the one that looks the coolest or you're more confortable using.
  • Go to training, start by learning the basic moves, specials and strings on the move list for your character. Focus on what they do and what is the use for them. For example identify what is your starter, what is your mixup, what's OH or low, what properties have amplified specials, anything. You don't need to memorize all of them, just the one that feels useful. If you have doubts ask.
  • Start to memorize a couple of combos. You need just one or two strings midscreen max and (if you want) a corner combo. You can find them here in the subforums or everywhere on youtube. Don't worry about damage or doing the biggest combos you see yet, just find something easy that you can pull off consistentlly, even if it's just 4 hits. Remember that (especially online on console) doing a small combo every single time beats pulling off the awesome combo one time out of ten.
  • don't worry about variations at the start, just use a tournament one. Ask on the subforum what is the best one for the character.
  • start by doing a couple klassic towers, ramping up difficulty as you go along.
  • move to Towers of time when you feel like it.
  • When you feel like you have a gameplan for your character and you can pull off your combos 100% of the time, you can start going online.
  • don't give up when you get your ass kicked the first times, you'll get better.

CO-KANO

psn: UNFUCxWITABLE_1
This game is so wack, every other hit is a krushing blow with 25-45%d damage, then its down pokes and throw, then fatal blow..every round is four hits pretty much.
My tip, dont get this game

Last edited: