What's new

'I'd Have These Extremely Graphic Dreams': What It's Like To Work On Ultra-Violent Games Like Mortal Kombat 11

I think it's pretty telling how a simple written piece featuring people just sharing their experiences and insights on a not-commonly-talked aspect of their profession is immediately and relentlessly torn apart for being an artifact of victimhood culture run amok.

Guys, relax. Not everyone has to be your enemy in the imaginary culture war. Making games has effects on people, for better or worse, and I'm always interested in hearing about it. As games become more high-fidelity and the demand for realism increases, that's going to have a lot of unintended consequences that are important to monitor.

dont get fooled by those storys
i bet my left ballsack that MK12 will not be violent as it is right now
1000000%
they put out stuff like this, to justify something like low violence mk12
just like they did with no "bikini" fighter girls in mk11

ShadyHeart

Relationship with Sonya ended
They should go back to the simpler and more entertaining fatalities like in mk3. They're quick, entertaining, satisfying, and not just a random gorefest trying to be as gruesome and realistic as possible.

Mk11 fatalities are just straight boring for the most part.

On another note, their "research" must not be that great seeing how unrealistic all this shit ended up being anyways.

Coroners, doctors, morticians, emergency medical technicians all have to deal with the grim reality of death and the fragility of our corporeal makeup. Not everyone can be a crime scene investigator. You just have to get the stomach for it. All that being said, why they would care so much about the realism of a fatality when Cassie's nut kick forgoes all realism tenfold. Most of us wouldn't even notice blood splatter pattern accuracy when a throat is slit anyways. :D

I never before considered that they were using real-life footage of hangings (and what else?!) as inspiration for the, what are comparatively caricatured finishing moves in MK11... Heck, claret in MK11 looks like raspberry jello! For how many series iterations has this practice been a thing?... MK11 only?

I mean, I've seen just about everything on the Internet, and the most "shocking" thing about MK11 is how little damage Shao Kahn deals! So, I'm rather inured to it all. HOWEVER, terrorist barbarism or that vile animal abuse fetish crap (even anything to do with the likes of the Yulin dog meat festival in China), I draw the line at -- I just do not want that stuff to become normalised in my mind. You know, staring into the "Abyss" for too long, and all that Nietzschian shit.

I find it surprising that Warner-NRS did not take precautions when subjecting their artists (who, begin artists, would mostly be "soft", left-leaning types, and not fascists with a war fetish). After all, it's a well known fact that in law enforcement divisions where they deal with with violent crime and child abuse , P.T.S.D. and premature career burn-out are genuine issues... I guess, Ed Boon was too busy trolling to notice the harm being done. :rolleyes:

Lun

proud TERF!
Man, this thread's still going on? That piece of "news" didn't even have any follow up; we all know it's just an unbelievable madeup story to get clicks.

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings
Why do they even have to research such stuff? That got researched ages ago for every horror movie, use that knowledge.

Why do they even have to research such stuff? That got researched ages ago for every horror movie, use that knowledge.
They may not have to. Again, a lot of people are making a lot of assumptions based on speculation. We don't know the process NetherRealm Studios uses, we don't know what the animators were required to do and what individuals chose to do, and we don't even know how accurate this article is.

As I mentioned in my initial post in this thread, take everything from articles like this with a grain of salt.

Reactions: Lun