What's new

Breakthrough - Grandmaster Ice Clone bug explained

llabslb

R1D1_998
Demolition Sonya example

Shirai Ryu Takeda example

Ice clone bug

Tom Brady posted a video on this weird bug of Sub Zeroes clone behaving in an odd way so I broke the video down and was able to replicate the bug and find out why it happens.

What is going on?

Clone basically doesn’t freeze the opponent.

Why this happens

All thats really required for this to occur is one delayed attack (sonyas grenade) and to jump into the clone. The two attacks do not have to hit the clone at the same time. As long as the delayed attack hits the clone after the jump in you will be able to get this bug consistently. The delayed attack does not exactly have to hit the clone but you will not get consist results. So it seems to be that this issue is exclusively related to jump ins.

Demolition Sonya - Ice clone bug (no jump in attack)

Shirai Ryu Takeda - Ice clone bug (no jump in attack)

All thats really required for this to occur is one delayed attack (sonyas grenade) and to jump into the clone. The two attacks do not have to hit the clone at the same time. As long as the delayed attack hits the clone after the jump in. So it seems to be that this issue is exclusively an issue with jump ins.

How bad is this?

Considering something like this only really applies in practically Sub Zeroes worst match ups, this does act as a sort of ‘icing on the cake’. The situations this bug applies in would typically be situations where Sub Zero is already in trouble. However, if the opponent does have poor timing I feel that they should face the consequences (get frozen) rather than having this bug to act as a back up plan.

Characters this works with

Demolition and Special forces Sonya
Shirai Ryu Takeda

Characters this works with but are slightly tricky

Tremor
Cassie Spec ops
Jacqui Briggs Full Auto

Tags
@Dankster Morgan
@Solid_Bravo
@Tom Brady
@zoofs
@everysubplayer

Last edited:

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
It probably has to do with the Klone goes away on block patch they put. I don't know if this only happens when the opponent jumps into the Klone.
  • Test if it happens when they walk into it or hit it grounded.
  • Test if some sort of blocked physical move does it too, not just projectiles.
  • See if the freeze goes away when Sub gets hit by physical and projectile moves.

llabslb

R1D1_998
It probably has to do with the Klone goes away on block patch they put. I don't know if this only happens when the opponent jumps into the Klone.
  • See if the freeze goes away when Sub gets hit by physical and projectile moves.
I've just tested all these points you've mentioned and to spare you from a series of clips which essentially invalidate these points. None of them turn out to work. After the bug, if they get hit by another clone its effect would be same as the typical ice clone effect. However, they are able to repeat the bug. I've tested normals with not hurt box as well as plain old normals, they all behave as they should.

Whilst testing what you mentioned I found out that the requirements that I mentioned for this bug turned out to be false. In fact, the two attacks do not have to hit at the same time. I've uploaded two clips to show my point.

Demolition Sonya - Ice clone bug (no jump in attack)

Shirai Ryu Takeda - Ice clone bug (no jump in attack)

All thats really required for this to occur is one delayed attack (sonyas grenade) and to jump into the clone. The two attacks do not have to hit the clone at the same time. As long as the delayed attack hits the clone after the jump in you will be able to get this bug consistently. The delayed attack does not exactly have to hit the clone but you will not get consistent results. So it seems to be that this issue is exclusively related to jump ins.

I would also like to point out that I was able to re-create this with relative ease and can definitely see something like this happen in a real match.

Last edited:

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
I did some testing and the prerequisites seem to be jumping into the Klone, making Sub block something after getting frozen and don't cross him up during the block. I tried the same scenario but without Sub blocking. Either Sub got hit or he moved out of the way and they didn't fall out of Klone freeze. It is linked to jump ins and "Klone goes away on block" without crossing up. I'll try to record some of this, I was using Takeda for the controllable delayed explosive Kunai and the teleport.

Here is some testing. The most peculiar thing is when i get frozen just above the ground then the delayed Kunai's bounce me up in the air.

I'm almost tempted to install vanilla MKX before the Klone goes away on block patch to test this.

Last edited: