What's new

Match-up Discussion "I think you underestimate me!" Joker Match-up Discussion Thread

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
You're telling me two different things here. You're saying he should capitalize when he can but her wakeups are a problem, but you also say you shouldn't block them because that'll let her return to neutral. So what are you supposed to do?
I'm saying he needs to capitalize on damage when he can because he has a very difficult time opening opponents up. Batgirls ability to make him think twice is what can halt his momentum and that's a problem for him in any matchup

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I'll tag you but I'm afraid of what you are going to say about that MU too:joker:
Joker wins, it's like Aquaman bad for her...

Kappa
I'm saying he needs to capitalize on damage when he can because he has a very difficult time opening opponents up. Batgirls ability to make him think twice is what can halt his momentum and that's a problem for him in any matchup
True

Fromundaman

I write too much.
Okay so this is what I got from this discussion:
Fromundacheese and Eevee based their MU opinion off of sets they play with each other.
If Joker and Batgirl pushblocked they both have no options in neutral or can benefit from this in anyway.
Joker has infinite meter.
Jokers corner game and damage is equivalent to Batgirls somehow
I suck and AL Eevee is a better player then me
I'm a Nova Corp Officer.
Just one question guys.. can I be this guy?

Just in case the picture didn't show its Nova from the Nova Corp.

@ somebody who reads this please add a balling ass picture of Nova for me if you cant see it. Im currently away from my computer. Thanks

I've actually played a fair number of Batgirls in tournament now. Eevee is just the only one I've ever lost to and clearly knows the MU better than any of the other ones I've played, hence why I am using him as an example. If I give examples of matches with other Batgirls, I would be talking about very basic stuff, like bait everything and punish and throw out moves in the corner because who the fuck knows what Joker does.

-That's incorrect, your d2 is 12 frames and has further reach than Batgirls 14 frame b1. You must be doing it too late at the start of the match or something.
Ah okay. I am terrible at start of the round inputs, so I must be messing it up. Good to know.

Jokers neutral game can outspace like half the cast. Granted it does leave him minus, he is safe on block when he plays his neutral game. People can zone him out but his tools in the neutral are reaaaaally good.
@Fromundaman if you get BG in the corner, then that BG did something horrifically wrong. And she has sone of the best options out the corner because the only way your gonna keep otging into a 33/33/33 is if you have meter. And if I block you cant set anything else back up without getting flying bat in the face.
We need to play at Summer Jam.

That said, I optimize my combos for meter and resets, so usually it takes me 2 OTGs to take a healthbar and I build 1/2-3/4 the bar I use back during the combo.

You are right about the flying bat beating anything out if I block, but isn't that a mindgame in itself? If I keep blocking instead of pressing a button can't I full combo punish?

I can't say putting BG in the corner happens super often, for as you said, it does require something going wrong for her along the way, but we do have some decent corner carry combos/pressure (Sorry, I still keep forgetting Joker pressure is a myth I propagate)

Also come on Sonic. Right or wrong doesn't even matter at this point; we can't grasp our heads around enough + frames for a safe jump being a good thing, throwing out something like having a decent neutral game could be blasphemy (Although defensively our neutral game is pretty godlike. Offensively, not so much...)

3 said 6-4, 2 said 5.5-4.5/5-5 so not "everyone". I was just coming to that as a compromise, BG has more decisive 6-4s imo.
And we have worse 4-6s, but you know what, put it at that. Numbers don't matter enough to bother arguing about. Everyone forgets but the point of this is to share knowledge so that we can all learn better ways to play the MU. Putting a number on it will not help me play the MU.

I still don't and probably won't ever understand how they are even in the corner, not even a little bit. If Joker had infinite meter though... It would maybe favor him.
If you ever get to the corner with more than 1 bar and run out of meter then you are not doing the right combos.
Also even without meter we have stupid stuff in the corner.

D2 cannot AA on reaction.
Ummmm what? Maybe online, but offline you most definitely can.

This MU is 3-7

I've never played a joker I couldn't 20-4 and usually during the sets I start playing lazy

This is not to be rude in any way but it's just to point out this MU is extremely bad for joker
I maintain that it's in part because none of us are anywhere near your level of play, but that rests on me to prove, which I need to keep improving to do. Hopefully by the end of the year I will change your mind (Or mine will be changed, but I would rather it be the former :joker: ).

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I've actually played a fair number of Batgirls in tournament now. Eevee is just the only one I've ever lost to and clearly knows the MU better than any of the other ones I've played, hence why I am using him as an example. If I give examples of matches with other Batgirls, I would be talking about very basic stuff, like bait everything and punish and throw out moves in the corner because who the fuck knows what Joker does.

Ah okay. I am terrible at start of the round inputs, so I must be messing it up. Good to know.

That said, I optimize my combos for meter and resets, so usually it takes me 2 OTGs to take a healthbar and I build 1/2-3/4 the bar I use back during the combo.

You are right about the flying bat beating anything out if I block, but isn't that a mindgame in itself? If I keep blocking instead of pressing a button can't I full combo punish?

I can't say putting BG in the corner happens super often, for as you said, it does require something going wrong for her along the way, but we do have some decent corner carry combos/pressure (Sorry, I still keep forgetting Joker pressure is a myth I propagate)

Also come on Sonic. Right or wrong doesn't even matter at this point; we can't grasp our heads around enough + frames for a safe jump being a good thing, throwing out something like having a decent neutral game could be blasphemy (Although defensively our neutral game is pretty godlike. Offensively, not so much...)

And we have worse 4-6s, but you know what, put it at that. Numbers don't matter enough to bother arguing about. Everyone forgets but the point of this is to share knowledge so that we can all learn better ways to play the MU. Putting a number on it will not help me play the MU.

If you ever get to the corner with more than 1 bar and run out of meter then you are not doing the right combos.

I maintain that it's in part because none of us are anywhere near your level of play, but that rests on me to prove, which I need to keep improving to do. Hopefully by the end of the year I will change your mind (Or mine will be changed, but I would rather it be the former :joker: ).
a 12f normal in this game cannot anti air fast jumps.

Fromundaman

I write too much.
a 12f normal in this game cannot anti air fast jumps.
Huh okay. I guess I'm just magical.

EDIT:

Fromundaman I'm not sure what these safe jump and joker setups are that you keep talking about. Maybe you could enlighten us?
I've thrown them in the Joker chat several times and you guys said they were useless, but I can do so again if you like. That said not posting them outside of that chat for now.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Huh okay. I guess I'm just magical.

EDIT:

I've thrown them in the Joker chat several times and you guys said they were useless, but I can do so again if you like. That said not posting them outside of that chat for now.
No, you're most likely anticipating the jump. In this game if you want to AA 100% with such a slow move you need to be waiting for the jump.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player

I want to believe for joker but idk man

4-6 at best

Fromundaman

I write too much.
I want to believe for joker but idk man

4-6 at best
I could see that, but as I said before, ultimately numbers are worthless. I just strive to learn what I need to in order to attain the only thing that does matter: Setting fools on fire on at victory screen.
I'm hoping by TFC at the latest to make waves, but we'll see. I really hope (And think) that my scene will make a name for themselves at Summer Jam; I hope I will be part of the reason for that.

Fromundaman

I write too much.
No, you're most likely anticipating the jump. In this game if you want to AA 100% with such a slow move you need to be waiting for the jump.
I sometimes do anticipate the jump. It is bad because this hits too low for a full combo. However, you most definitely can react to a BG jump in and AA her as she's coming down from the tip of her jump. This is actually not hard at all.

EDIT:

You haven't played the matchup and don't understand things other players tell you for 3 pages, why even bother asking you?
The funny thing is that while I don't agree with all that Youphemism said, he actually discussed the MU rather than make fun of everyone like we did... Also I can't help but notice that he actually changed his mind on a fair number of things throughout the discussion, including who's favor it is in.

As for not playing the MU... we're discrediting the people who I GUARANTEE have played the MU more than anyone else period (Myself and Eevee, who might I add have now both won tournaments with said characters, although only locals). Meanwhile you are claiming we can't AA based on online sets with Astronaut from 5 months ago.
Like come on man... I'm not trying to discredit your opinion because I guarantee the difference in playstyles makes our experiences different, and that's fine, but you can't discredit people based on something you are kind of guilty of as well.

SUPER EDIT:

Actually, @Gilbagz I want your opinion on this. You are one of the better jokers, and you do play this MU.

Last edited:

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
You haven't played the matchup and don't understand things other players tell you for 3 pages, why even bother asking you?
Oh look at you Mr Assumptive, just because I haven't played it much with Batgirl means I haven't played it with Wonder Woman? Quit being so above yourself and realise everyone is allowed to talk about a matchup, especially if everything they're saying comes from doing it/fact, the same way I'm listening to you guys about Joker's options and either suggesting ways around it or respecting that option because I play Batgirl and know what options she has from this side of it. I could ask you the same thing, why should I listen to you? What credentials do you have that I should care about your opinion? The answer is it doesn't matter, you play that character and know their options and have probably been in the lab with it so it's worth listening to you about the matchup.

What do you feel I'm not getting? Everything I've spoken about has come from literally doing it, whenever something's mentioned I go in the lab and test it unless it's just about frames or something. Elaborate if you think I don't understand, I want to understand your side of it.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I sometimes do anticipate the jump. It is bad because this hits too low for a full combo. However, you most definitely can react to a BG jump in and AA her as she's coming down from the tip of her jump. This is actually not hard at all.

EDIT:

The funny thing is that while I don't agree with all that Youphemism said, he actually discussed the MU rather than make fun of everyone like we did... Also I can't help but notice that he actually changed his mind on a fair number of things throughout the discussion, including who's favor it is in.

As for not playing the MU... we're discrediting the people who I GUARANTEE have played the MU more than anyone else period (Myself and Eevee, who might I add have now both won tournaments with said characters, although only locals). Meanwhile you are claiming we can't AA based on online sets with Astronaut from 5 months ago.
Like come on man... I'm not trying to discredit your opinion because I guarantee the difference in playstyles makes our experiences different, and that's fine, but you can't discredit people based on something you are kind of guilty of as well.

SUPER EDIT:

Actually, @Gilbagz I want your opinion on this. You are one of the better jokers, and you do play this MU.
I said it's difficult afterwards and based on anticipation. You are not really reacting rather than anticipating. There's a difference between having not played the matchup and trying to tell someone who actually has irrelevant things for 3 pages.

I was playing the matchup for a pretty long time when Astronaut had just come off of beating KDZ, not for just one set. That's the difference between me and him.

Fromundaman

I write too much.
I play the BG MU way too much but my opinion doesnt matter. I suck and I'm Nova so it doesn't matter NIKKAHS!!!!!!
@StevoSuprem0
I know what you think the MU is but actually would you mind elaborating more on how the MU plays out? If you are experiencing things I don't see then I would love to know about them/be prepared for them before Summer Jam.

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player

Okay guys I'm home from work saving the universe and now I promised autographs. Now I know I suck but I'm Nova so who cares. My autographs will be via tag as followed:
@Dja_Homies
@StevoSuprem0
@Fromundaman
@AL Eevee
@Qwark28
@The_PantyChrist
@ThaShiveGeek
@OnlineRon91
@Amplified$hotz
@Sonic Lionheart
@Espio
@Youphemism
If I missed anybody too bad. I'm the Human Rocket.
(P.S. sorry for the big pics, I don't know how to make them smaller, Espio please help. Even Guardians make mistakes)

Sincerely, THEE Appointed Nova

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player

Okay guys I'm home from work saving the universe and now I promised autographs. Now I know I suck but I'm Nova so who cares. My autographs will be via tag as followed:
@Dja_Homies
@StevoSuprem0
@Fromundaman
@AL Eevee
@Qwark28
@The_PantyChrist
@ThaShiveGeek
@OnlineRon91
@Amplified$hotz
@Sonic Lionheart
@Espio
@Youphemism
If I missed anybody too bad. I'm the Human Rocket.
(P.S. sorry for the big pics, I don't know how to make them smaller, Espio please help. Even Guardians make mistakes)

Sincerely, THEE Appointed Nova
@Kyu I forgot you bro sorry

Reactions: Kyu

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
Next up is Zatanna!

I've literally never fought Zatanna lol. So I'll be relying on you guys for this one.
Zoning is always difficult to deal with, and hers is pretty strong. Teleport's are also difficult to deal with when they mess up Joker's oki and negate his having finally gotten close. How do you guys think this fight is?
@Mr. Mileena @deg222 any opinions you have would be helpful.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
How do you win? Should i use gunshot at all. And what if they teleport away. And she does a lot chip damage and and you can't touch get if trait is on.
Use gunshot to interrupt her shit and trade. If you trade well you can dash. Be ready to punish teleports always and 90% of the time end with crowbar and OTG. Other 10% do a setup.

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
Use gunshot to interrupt her shit and trade. If you trade well you can dash. Be ready to punish teleports always and 90% of the time end with crowbar and OTG. Other 10% do a setup.
Is her teleport like Shazam's in that it has crazy invulnerability properties? I was having trouble with that this weekend. Started to switch to crowbar enders and was having more success.