What's new

Question I suppose this was probably asked before, but I still have huge problems with b312

I'm not lying when I say that I've been practicing this string in combos for a very long time. I think that I've put at least 20 hours and probably more just trying to do this s**t consistently. I still can't do it no matter how what I try to trick my brain into. You have to do this string so f*****g fast and my thumb just always goes nuts after I press b3. Yeah of course I can do 12 without any troubles, but 12 after that horrific b3 is impossible at required very strict timing.

I play Sub, Sektor and JC, and I haven't yet came across any string that would cause me as serious problems as this one. As if my thumb just sticks to b3 like glued and I can't press 12 quick enough to make it consistent. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I couldn't do it at all. But I can do it like maybe 2 out of 5 tries which is absolutely unacceptable in any real fights. I mean I can play against expert pc even without b312 completely, but it's stupid and non-satisfying. Everyone knows that b312 is Liu's most important string in any combo. I love how his combos look like, for example b312, b312, b312, f24~bbf4, but it's just immposible for me to do a simple b312. I don't even have much problems with connecting f24 after b312 as some people report, I just can't do b312. I'm starting to lose my mind over this, I really loved to pick liu as my forth char mostly due to the fact people say he's easy and I love his combos. But I find his combos gazilion times harder than Sub, Sektor and JC alltogether.

Could you provide me with any help whatsoever? I can't think of any other tricks to make it work for me. I tried just sliding my finger across all 3 buttons, but I hate this because it could ruin my controller, it feels like cheating, and on top isn't even much more consistent than doing it the correct way. And oh yeah, I can do b31 100% of time, this circullar up movement to press 2...I don't know, it seems my brain isn't capable of it, very very strange indeed, and I absolutely hate it!!!

What controller are you using? (PS or XBox) You say that you're using your thumb, have you ever tried the claw method? (Video below for your reference)

This is how I held a pad to play Tekken 5/DR. With MK, you would need to switch some buttons to make it work (block and stance change on LB/L1 and LT/L2).

Actually, come to think of it, you would only really need to move block over to LB/L1 or LT/L2. You could just use that plus the stance change shortcut (both kicks I believe) in order to X-Ray.

Thanks for that video! I'll have to take this a second thought. However I've already tried hitting buttons with my other fingers and yeah I'm WAAAAY faster that way. Thumb is actually my slowest finger. I own a stick, but since people always say that MK is easier on a pad, I've never used it for mk. I might have to reconsider and perhaps switch to a stick in near future.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
I don't understand why you can't input the string, just say it out loud when you're doing it. If it doens't work soon then try doing it really slowly and concentrating on it whilst saying it out loud. That might do the trick!

I remember having trouble in Injustice with MMH's Bloowynd string (f2, u1, 1+3) and doing what I just said above helped me with it. It's like some weird mental thing that just doesn't allow you to press the buttons you want to press, haha.

Good luck!

EDIT: Remember you can hold back then just slide your finger and do 3,1,2. Pro tip lol Kappa ;)

Matix218

Get over here!
Just roll your thumb from 3 to 1 to 2 while holding back the whole time if you are playing on pad. I've never had an issue with that string before

bettyswallaux

XBOXLive: BettySwallaux
I have this problem when I havnt played for a few weeks, your not taking your fingers off the buttons. Just do it slowly without actually playing the game and gradually get faster man

DavS13

Noob
I think that maybe you are trying to do it too fast, and you end up mashing the buttons instead of getting what you want out. Try to get in a rhythm of b312 - dash - b312- dash - b312 - dash, and eventually you will get it right.

RyuKazuya

Jesus is my Lord and Savior!
Hmm...
Well i guess it has something to do with being too nervous or maybe a bad habit. I guess you just have to train your muscle memory on that
because there always will be some input our fingers or hands ar enot used to pull off automatically. I would recommend to try this combo to practice it
easy bnb
213 dash b312 dash f24 bbf4
or another practice lesson would be just to get used to it by
doing
b31 bf3 repeat and as soon as you notice that you can pull it off almost without even thinking about it try the first combo

and if you get used to that
try b312 dash b312 dash b312 dash b31 bf 2

i hope it helps ^^

Thanks for that video! I'll have to take this a second thought. However I've already tried hitting buttons with my other fingers and yeah I'm WAAAAY faster that way. Thumb is actually my slowest finger. I own a stick, but since people always say that MK is easier on a pad, I've never used it for mk. I might have to reconsider and perhaps switch to a stick in near future.
I think pad vs. stick is truly a preference thing. It sounds like you've used a stick before, which is possibly why your right thumb is a bit slow (you're used to using fingers instead). With that, I'd definitely recommend claw grip on a controller, or to just switch back to stick for MK, especially if you are more comfortable that way. Good luck getting it worked out!

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
You young padiwan, must learn the art of thumb-fu. It is an ages-old art, passed down throughout the generations. Slow thumb = many losses; you must learn to develop thumb of lightning.

Old Master Shadow will help you -- each day you must practice, as the heroes did before you.

Step 1: Single button speed. Pick a single button, and repeat it quickly 3 times. For example, 3-3-3. Tap-tap-tap. Relax and breathe as you do this. Focus on getting your thumb off the button as fast as humanly possible after a lightning-quick tap. Think about the cheetah or the bumblebee

Step 2: Button pairs. Here you practice tapping two buttons in rapid succession. 3-1.. 3-1.. 3-1. Pause between each pair. Try to do this as fast as humanly possible. 30-40 repetitions a day for a few weeks. Imagine the bird as he flies; become the bird

Step 3: The dreaded 3-button combo. Here you will begin to conquer your most feared enemy. Add the 2.. 3-1-2. 3-1-2. Remember step 2; and think of it as 3-1, 2. 3-1, 2. Then remember step one and try to make all buttons feel this way; tap-tap-tap. Taptaptap.

With much practice you will attain the speed of a grasshopper. When you do, come back and tell old master Shadow so that he will become much proud of you.

Until then.. PWACTICE

Addendum: Carrying much buckets of water may help

Last edited:
You young padiwan, must learn the art of thumb-fu. It is an ages-old art, passed down throughout the generations. Slow thumb = many losses; you must learn to develop thumb of lighting.

Old Master Shadow will help you -- each day you must practice, as the heroes did before you.

Step 1: Single button speed. Pick a single button, and repeat it quickly 3 times. For example, 3-3-3. Tap-tap-tap. Relax and breathe as you do this. Focus on getting your thumb off the button as fast as humanly possible after a lightning-quick tap. Think about the cheetah or the bumblebee

Step 2: Button pairs. Here you practice tapping two buttons in rapid succession. 3-1.. 3-1.. 3-1. Pause between each. Try to do this as fast as humanly possible. 30-40 repetitions a day for a few weeks. Imagine the bird as he flies; become the bird

Step 3: The dreaded 3-button combo. Here you will begin to conquer your most feared enemy. Add the 2.. 3-1-2. 3-1-2. Remember step 2; and think of it as 3-1, 2. 3-1, 2. Then remember step one and try to make all buttons feel this way; tap-tap-tap. Taptaptap.

With much practice you will attain the speed of a grasshopper. When you do, come back and tell old master Shadow so that he will become much proud of you.

Until then.. PWACTICE

Addendum: Carrying much buckets of water may help
Best post ever! That's probably the exact technique that I'll adopt during next week or so. Thanks master!

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Just hold back and slide your finger, I dont know why you think that'd ruin your controller or that that's "cheating".