What's new

I Sense Your Dread- Scarecrow Match Up Discussion

I'm curious, what's changed your mind to now think that Brainiac went from a winning matchup to even?
I played with Perfect Legend's Brainiac a lot and understand the character better now. I might flip it back to advantage for scarecrow but for now I feel it's pretty even. Brainiac's air mobility plus drones is better than I first thought and he can play pretty good grounded footsies himself.

SnowboardRX

^ You have no idea who this guy is ^
Robin feels like AIDS.. You literally just have to sit there and take his stupid ass bird rang into pressure.. Mark my words, this character is going to be a problem
I'm late to the game here, does fearnado not eat it?
Yes, fearnado does eat them. If he wants to sit back and throw them, eat them up. If he wants to throw and run in with pressure, MB it for the absorption and the hit.
I do agree that this matchup sucks though.

*facepalm*

Fearnado man, c'mon. It parries projectiles and that's one of the easiest to parry in the whole game. You CAN get punished in recovery on it if he's close enough, but you can choose to MB for your own full combo.

Unfortunately, parrying birdarangs with trait on doesn't grant fear meter currently (bug, most likely).

Fact is, he CANT just spam birdarangs and get free pressure, and Crow has big punishes for everything Robin does, including both of his wakeups. I'd say Crow wins this one, especially once the bug is fixed. He's going to WANT to stop throwing birdarangs.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
*facepalm*

Fearnado man, c'mon. It parries projectiles and that's one of the easiest to parry in the whole game. You CAN get punished in recovery on it if he's close enough, but you can choose to MB for your own full combo.

Unfortunately, parrying birdarangs with trait on doesn't grant fear meter currently (bug, most likely).

Fact is, he CANT just spam birdarangs and get free pressure, and Crow has big punishes for everything Robin does, including both of his wakeups. I'd say Crow wins this one, especially once the bug is fixed. He's going to WANT to stop throwing birdarangs.
Why in the world would he want to stop throwing birdrangs. You have to approach him anyways. He can just sit pretty right outside footsies range and bang them out. And yes he will get free pressure unless you jump back to try and avoid it but that just defeats the whole purpose and he can then chuck another one out

Why in the world would he want to stop throwing birdrangs. You have to approach him anyways. He can just sit pretty right outside footsies range and bang them out. And yes he will get free pressure unless you jump back to try and avoid it but that just defeats the whole purpose and he can then chuck another one out
So, like... you don't understand that fearnado absorbs projectiles then?

Not to mention that its tracking your direction only lasts while it's high up, so if you're at range and jump late with j2 or j3 you can basically shut down any approach Robin wants to make out of it. And not to mention again that you can MB B3 through it from like half screen. Or F13 underneath it. Or use the fact that he's spending time setting the birdie up to get your trait out.

haketh

Noob
Superman does not beat Scarecrow especially now that he has a wake up.

I'm willing to throw hands over this issue.
I agree with you, at worse it's even

Robin feels like AIDS.. You literally just have to sit there and take his stupid ass bird rang into pressure.. Mark my words, this character is going to be a problem
I'm willing to admit I'm fucking bad & hamhands at times but yeah he feels rough. He fights Crow at his best range EXTREMELY well.

Rare footage of me agreeing with dribirut for once

Birdarang is not the issue at all, after it reaches apex you can move & it doesn't track at all, if he does at more than two character spaces away we can punish him & it goes away, he has no blockstrings into it. Yeah he can mix things up & MB it but he's giving up combo extensions for that & I'm cool with it.

I played with Perfect Legend's Brainiac a lot and understand the character better now. I might flip it back to advantage for scarecrow but for now I feel it's pretty even. Brainiac's air mobility plus drones is better than I first thought and he can play pretty good grounded footsies himself.
playing against Chef it feels like it's in our favor IMO, I haven't played against PL yet so can't say much till I get a wider varieity of MU experience.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
Lol are you that dense? Yea fearnado his birdrang at footsies range or right outside of it and eat a full combo then.
I don't see why Robin would be throwing a bunch of birdarangs at footsie range, and couldn't you just MB the DB2 to catch him if he does rush in?

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
I agree with you, at worse it's even

I'm willing to admit I'm fucking bad & hamhands at times but yeah he feels rough. He fights Crow at his best range EXTREMELY well.

Rare footage of me agreeing with dribirut for once

Birdarang is not the issue at all, after it reaches apex you can move & it doesn't track at all, if he does at more than two character spaces away we can punish him & it goes away, he has no blockstrings into it. Yeah he can mix things up & MB it but he's giving up combo extensions for that & I'm cool with it.

playing against Chef it feels like it's in our favor IMO, I haven't played against PL yet so can't say much till I get a wider varieity of MU experience.
There are literally only like 3 good robins though. I thought the mu was even or in our favor until I played a good one. The problem for me with birdrang is when he starts thowing it right outside our f2 range. I know you can dodge it. I tried jumping back but that would just reset the situation at best or he would get pressure with his longest reaching normal. I tried jumping in 3 but his d2 is godlike. I tried njp but that just allows free pressure. The problem I saw was that it's so plus on block that it allows the robin to wait and see what your reaction will be and then still has enough time to go in if he sees you don't do anything.

I'd like to see toxin play hayatei to see how he deals with it.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
I don't see why Robin would be throwing a bunch of birdarangs at footsie range, and couldn't you just MB the DB2 to catch him if he does rush in?
To clarify he wouldn't. I meant right outside our f2. And sure you could mb b3 but he doesn't have to do anything either.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
There are literally only like 3 good robins though. I thought the mu was even or in our favor until I played a good one. The problem for me with birdrang is when he starts thowing it right outside our f2 range. I know you can dodge it. I tried jumping back but that would just reset the situation at best or he would get pressure with his longest reaching normal. I tried jumping in 3 but his d2 is godlike. I tried njp but that just allows free pressure. The problem I saw was that it's so plus on block that it allows the robin to wait and see what your reaction will be and then still has enough time to go in if he sees you don't do anything.

I'd like to see toxin play hayatei to see how he deals with it.
I don't understand, maybe I need to see toxin vs hayatei too, but Robin's 50 frame birdarang just outside our f2 range (so within our f1 range)?

I don't see how that's a problem

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
To clarify he wouldn't. I meant right outside our f2. And sure you could mb b3 but he doesn't have to do anything either.
I don't have the most MU experience against Robin, the only set I've ever played against him was last night against @EMPEROR PRYCE godlike Robin. I am going to have to lab a few things tonight but I feel like you're overating his birdarang pressure. Next time I get a longer set in I'll post a few thoughts.

I really feel like Scarecrow is the E.Honda of the game. He is in my opinion the best brawler vs brawler. His trait is quite oppressive and his normals are great to control space.

Regarding Bane, has anyone tried Crows breathe to break his armor or to just deny wake ups? If it works, even at -18 bane does not have many options at that range to punish on block.

Seems his main concern is getting in on zoners and since his mix up is not as strong as some others his pay off is less.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
I really feel like Scarecrow is the E.Honda of the game. He is in my opinion the best brawler vs brawler. His trait is quite oppressive and his normals are great to control space.

Regarding Bane, has anyone tried Crows breathe to break his armor or to just deny wake ups? If it works, even at -18 bane does not have many options at that range to punish on block.

Seems his main concern is getting in on zoners and since his mix up is not as strong as some others his pay off is less.
Are you maining scarecrow? Your flash was scary in injustice one. And no I've never tried that. Could be interesting

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Not even necessarily, an early reaction should beat the batarangs, but then a late one might even allow to go under it too
But if you're outside f1 range then how would you even react. I don't have a problem with the birdrang if he's within that range. My problem is when a smart robin will stay right outside that range and throw birdrangs. If I see a bird rang come out and I'm within range I definitely will check them before it comes out. The problem is that range right outside footsies

@dribirut
Thanks for the props. No I do not think I will be maining scarecrow, but I will probably add him to my cadre of characters. Flash is still very good in this game so he will be a mainstay. I am narrowing down the roster. I intend to play 8 characters well with a few being exceptional so that I can help people with match ups etc. I am still in the real life vortex so I will appear here and there for tournaments when possible.

tl;dr Scarecrow looks strong and I want some meta breakers.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
But if you're outside f1 range then how would you even react. I don't have a problem with the birdrang if he's within that range. My problem is when a smart robin will stay right outside that range and throw birdrangs. If I see a bird rang come out and I'm within range I definitely will check them before it comes out. The problem is that range right outside footsies
Yeah that's what I'm asking, I don't know what would happen if he's just outside f2 range, and then when he throws a batarang you react with f1,3. In my head, it would beat it out due to the height he throws the batarang.

I don't know though, can't get to my console atm to check it out

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Yeah that's what I'm asking, I don't know what would happen if he's just outside f2 range, and then when he throws a batarang you react with f1,3. In my head, it would beat it out due to the height he throws the batarang.

I don't know though, can't get to my console atm to check it out
No I've tried that. If the f1 doesn't connect, you will get hit for full combo.

Id like to see whiteboi play the mu

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
What do you guys think of the blue beetle mu? And what good blue beetles have you played?

I thought the character was a bill but then played a very good one yesterday and was getting beat badly initially but thankfully he stuck around and learned the mu and went even.

I'd say it's close to 5-5 maybe slight 4-6

Lol are you that dense? Yea fearnado his birdrang at footsies range or right outside of it and eat a full combo then.
No, you add a meta to it by MBing fearnado for a combo, which you can even delay pretty significantly for even more meta.

When the bug is fixed and you can actually build up Traumatize by doing this, it's going to suck a lot more for Robin.

MB B3 and F3 are also great tools for this matchup. Eat the birdarangs and out range him before he can touch you.