What's new

I Sense Your Dread- Scarecrow Match Up Discussion

Shade667

#StrongisthenewCute
How the heck do you get out of Superman's F23/breath pressure?

He's the character I'm struggling the most with.
U can d1 out of F2,3 trait if he does anything else other than d1.
If he does F2,3 breath hes -1 with pushback. D1 will whiff, but ive had success with s2 interrupting F2. I assume s1 might work also.

I seem to have hit a wall in matchmaking where I keep meeting these execution monster robins. I can get past the birdarangs okay, but my jumpins always get hit by his D2 into full combo. Should I stay grounded for my approach or what?

Other issue is with his pressure. All his strings just look like random sword slashes, and I'm having trouble finding negative frame gaps to get anything going. I'm supposed to be the one frametrapping, how dare he!

Any tips, or should I just use aquaman for this matchup?

There are Crow and Fate players who believe the MU is 6-4 in Cranes favor apparently.
I can believe it. I don't have too much Fate experience, but lot of these heavy zoners have few real options when you finally get in F2 range (like Deadshot). Crow totally controls that space, including the air. And it gets even worse when their backs are to the corner and you play that range.

Themata94

They're comin' outta the Goddamn walls!
I seem to have hit a wall in matchmaking where I keep meeting these execution monster robins. I can get past the birdarangs okay, but my jumpins always get hit by his D2 into full combo. Should I stay grounded for my approach or what?

Other issue is with his pressure. All his strings just look like random sword slashes, and I'm having trouble finding negative frame gaps to get anything going. I'm supposed to be the one frametrapping, how dare he!

Any tips, or should I just use aquaman for this matchup?
It isn't a bad matchup by any means in my opinion, Robin's range and frametraps just means you need to approach the matchup more like the Scarecrow mirror than other matchups when he isn't throwing birdarangs. Controlling the neutral in this matchup is therefore particularly important, you want to enforce your optimal footsie range in all neutral situations and reset that situation as soon as possible if you lose your turn. You'll want to be more conservative with your jump-ins against Robin compared to most of the cast. Max range j2 during your decent allows you to follow up with pressure, but j3 will be beat at close range more often than you're used to. His running wakeup thing is safe (EDIT: no it really isn't, whoops) but on a read you can neutral jump and catch him with a j3 to convert into d1, dbf3. If he doesn't use it but doesn't delay wakeup you can catch him and go for the same followup on block.

As for his pressure, I would take him into the lab with Crow and learn where you can backdash or poke etc (generally poke). He has fairly slow buttons in general other than s1 and d1, and as long as you learn what the real frametraps are he'll seem less imposing, he's unsafe more often than you'd expect.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. After reading more, it looks like it an even matchup or even 6-4 scarecrow. I think the players were just better than me, I still drop bnb combos and get bad inputs often haha.

Also looked up Robins frame data and he is minus more often than I though. I think I just need to block more and D1 out of his pressure.

Yeah, Assassin Strike is definitely full combo punishable. It's just super tight because there is 0 block stun on that shit. You gotta be on point. Best to just use d1~death spin.

Themata94

Isn't Assassin Strike -12?

Also if you bait his DP wake up you can d1 the gap in the MB for full combo
I thought it ended up safe against Crow due to the pushback (mostly based on running a set rather than labwork, I'll admit, so that's on me) but it does look like d1 xx db1 is a full combo punish. Guess I didn't lab it enough! d1 for the DP gap is important though, yeah. His trait cancel is also punishable with a d1 off every string except 212 unless he spaces it perfectly, though I've heard complaints about the consistency of that string. b2 cancelled into trait in the corner is something you'll see Robin players go for if you don't punish them for it or steal your turn back, it's -7 if memory serves so just d1 it.

navaroNe

Nobody's afraid of Bruce Wayne
How the heck do you get out of Superman's F23/breath pressure?

He's the character I'm struggling the most with.
Not home to try but db3 in reversal window may work to catch him if he goes for a f23 after breathe. It's pretty good for interrupting strings because of its hitbox and priority

Shade667

#StrongisthenewCute
I can see that. I dont have much experience personally in the matchup but Id imagine it can be hard to get Crow off you as fate, esoecially in the corner.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
Opinions on what matchups Crow loses? I think he loses to Batman, Catwoman, Deadshot and Green Arrow. Interested to see matchup charts in the near future.
I think he loses to Batman, Catwoman, Deadshot, Arrow, Darkseid, and Red Hood. I have a mostly full Mu chart that I've been working on which I might post later.

Themata94

Opinions on what matchups Crow loses? I think he loses to Batman, Catwoman, Deadshot and Green Arrow. Interested to see matchup charts in the near future.
I agree with these more or less, though I'm curious as to why you feel Catwoman wins as I've found the matchup fairly even.

I think he loses to Batman, Catwoman, Deadshot, Arrow, Darkseid, and Red Hood. I have a mostly full Mu chart that I've been working on which I might post later.
Yeah i don't have enough experience vs Darkseid to form an opinion atleast not vs good ones. Red Hood i thought was really bad at first for scarecrow but after grinding it out more i find it quite even. Care to explain what makes it difficult for us?

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
Yeah i don't have enough experience vs Darkseid to form an opinion atleast not vs good ones. Red Hood i thought was really bad at first for scarecrow but after grinding it out more i find it quite even. Care to explain what makes it difficult for us?
I don't think it's like a super bad MU at all, but I feel like Hood has the advantage. Hood doesn't have the best keepaway game but it's pretty good against crow, and Hood has really good options to deal with crow up close. Honestly it just feels like you gotta play his game before you get to start yours, and while scarecrow has options to deal with everything you still need to deal with all of his shit first. I think it's only 6-4 Hood, but tbh if some people think it's 5-5 I can see and understand why they might think that.

I'd put Batman and Deadshot down as losing match ups. I've played numerous Darkseids of reasonably high level and several CW. I don't think those 2 match ups are as bad as I did a few weeks ago.

I would add Green Arrow to the list of bad match ups but not everyone will feel that way I'm sure.

navaroNe

Nobody's afraid of Bruce Wayne
Yeah I'm not a fan of the red hood matchup either. At first I thought it favoured scarecrow but after I played a few good red hoods I'm feeling more like it favours red hood since he can play keep away quite well against scarecrow and just keep sticking mines in front of him to fight off any advancing f1 or f2

So what do you guys do vs Catwoman. I feel helpless in this matchup and struggle with it more than i do with any other matchup? I feel like i just can't get my game started vs her

I turtle and force her to make a move to try and open me up. Generally stay within 22 range but far enough to where a wayward b3 attempt can either be made to whiff or countered. Essentially I get my damage and then play lame.

Sultan

Kitana, Scorpion
On my living chart Batman (3-7), Deadshot (4-6) and G.Arrow (4-6) are my only definite disadvantaged matchups.

In the slight disadvantage (4.5-5.5) category I have Darkseid, G.Lantern and Red Hood. I think as I evolve as a player these will become 5-5s. I had Harley Quinn and Superman in this category a few weeks ago, but after practicing both matchups more they've evened out in my book.

And as for the Catwoman MU... honestly I've never struggled in it. Last time I really played it was a long set vs Krayzie about 3 weeks ago and it felt super even. I don't have the most encyclopedic knowledge of the matchup, but the things that helped me were being aggressive in neutral without over-extending, and being reserved on their wake-up - after you bait a wake-up attack or two they get way less trigger happy. If you can twitch react to a b3 with your own mb.b3, that helps a lot in the conditioning department as well.

(The only matchup I have zero experience in is Cyborg, so I honestly have no idea how that one plays at a high level... it could be a 3-7 as far as I know)