What's new

I miss MKX. Does anybody still play this game?

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
So I've been getting back into playing MK games lately and I am really missing MKX. I was off from work for a day last week and spent the first half of the day playing MK9. I had a really good time, hadn't played that in 7-8 years or so. The story is ok, I don't care for the nonsensical timeline shenanigans, but other than that it's ok. The characters and gameplay are a blast, of course, so that was good times. In the afternoon I switched to MK11 and boy, my enjoyment and mood immediately took a down turn and 3 hours later I was done and couldn't take any more of that game.

MK11 is just a really bad game, awful storyline, subpar characters, way too many guest characters, celebrity pandering that doesn't bring any real value to the game and decreases immerse ability, music that is just not MK and is kind of grating to the ears, way too disturbing murder scene fatalities (first MK game where I just couldn't watch fatalities and refused to do them), Krypt mode that is also way too gory and disturbing especially with the photo realistic visuals they went with, and kind of a subpar gameplay really. The gameplay is the least bad part of the game probably. On paper it looks good, but in practice it just failed to deliver for me. I just wasn't having fun playing it. It could potentially be because I was so put off by the rest of the game that I just couldn't enjoy the gameplay. It's not even fun to watch. I've been watching a lot of MK gameplay videos lately, starting all the way back with MK Deadly Alliance (fantastic game, by the way), then Deception and Armageddon, some MK vs. DC, MK9, and was having fun with all of those, watching all the tournaments and recalling some of the most memorable matches, and so on. In fact, that's how I got inspired to get back into playing MK, hadn't played much since 2020. And then at one point I decided to watch the final four from MK11 Combo Breaker 2022. I could not finish a single match, I found myself scrolling forward just to see who won, and I couldn't even make myself watch the grand finals. That's how much unwatchable it was for me.

And on a more positive note, today I started watching some MKX videos and man, what a wonderful game that was! Decent story, great characters (except for the guest ones), and just an awesome, fun gameplay. I watched some gameplay videos of Nivek, Foxy Grampa, Madzin, Perfect Legend, K-Top and boy, all the memories from playing MKX for all those years came flooding back to me. Such good times, lots of fun watching all the tournaments, playing countless hours online, and spending lots and lots of time in Practice mode trying to master Raiden, and a number of other characters (Sub-Zero, Johnny Cage, Sonya, Kitana, Kung Lao, Bo Rai Cho, and even a little Liu Kang and Scorpion, who I almost never play). Not since MK Deadly Alliance had I been inspired to play so many characters in an MK game. The Variations system was also very well done and tons of fun. To continue the analogies with MK Deadly Alliance, it brought memories of the three martial arts styles per character in that game, which was also a lot of fun.

Long story short, I am thinking of getting back into MKX. Does anybody here still play it? Is the PSN server still up?

Last edited:

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
I play from time to time on Xbox One.

GT: RevyXV
Characters: Scorpion (Ninjitsu), Takeda (Lasher), Mileena (Piercing) & Triborg (Sektor).

Snibbor

Yarrrr Matey
I still play MKX very frequently, on Xbox it is still quite active. I still myself playing good players more often than I’d expect from a game as old as MKX.

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
I've reinstalled it a few weeks ago, i found out that i've completely forgotten the timing of Raiden's fbc XD
That made me feel so washed lol, im trying to unrust and explore other characters like alien and reptile. The game is really timeless, 9 years and still fun.

Also since you enjoy watching mkx to this day like me, pop up on Unbearbleskill twitch channel. he streams daily for several hours while inviting top players of all characters. keep an eye out for a dude called "sekkcz" he's the best Bo Rai Cho you'll ever witness.

DestroyerFGC also streams mkx several times a week.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
I've reinstalled it a few weeks ago, i found out that i've completely forgotten the timing of Raiden's fbc XD
That made me feel so washed lol, im trying to unrust and explore other characters like alien and reptile. The game is really timeless, 9 years and still fun.

Also since you enjoy watching mkx to this day like me, pop up on Unbearbleskill twitch channel. he streams daily for several hours while inviting top players of all characters. keep an eye out for a dude called "sekkcz" he's the best Bo Rai Cho you'll ever witness.

DestroyerFGC also streams mkx several times a week.
Nice! Yea, I am sure I've forgotten pretty much everything. Raiden's LRC was always difficult for me, I am sure it'd be even more difficult now haha

Thanks for those links. Bo Rai Cho is one of my favorite characters, so I want to see that player now.

And it's 7 years, now 9. MKX came out in 2015.

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
Nice! Yea, I am sure I've forgotten pretty much everything. Raiden's LRC was always difficult for me, I am sure it'd be even more difficult now haha

Thanks for those links. Bo Rai Cho is one of my favorite characters, so I want to see that player now.

And it's 7 years, now 9. MKX came out in 2015.
I love BRC a lot too, i wish he'll make it to mk12 main rooster. but i know it's a long shot x)
anyways here is the most recent beef set between sekkcz's BRC and some other dudes cyber sub.
he plays all 3 variations on the highest level, so make sure to check him out. his drunken master is so broken XD

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
My community has a pub which holds sessions for us every weekend no fees, just show up and get your ass kicked

I've said this so many times on other forums and websites, and I'll say it here again: Mortal Kombat X is more fun to play than MK11. Not only that, but Mortal Kombat X actually feels and looks like a Mortal Kombat game. MK11 does not feel like a MK game, and it also doesn't look like one either. MK11 feels more like an Injustice game with a Mortal Kombat mod installed. I also don't like that in MK11 they moved away from the dark gritty mysterious fantasy-sci-fi type vibe the series has always had. Everything in MK11, from the visual aesthetic to the way the game plays to the character moves and movement and even the music feels more like some generic comic book super hero video game than a traditional Mortal Kombat game. I also do not like the emphasis on weapons based fighting in MK11. If I wanted a weapons based fighter I would play SoulCalibur. So, like I said, Mortal Kombat X feels and plays like a true MK game, and is way more fun to play than MK11. I also don't like how in MK11 many of the characters iconic moves are missing. If I didn't know any better I would think that MK11 was originally being developed as Injustice 3, and then right at the very last stage of development they decided to switch it to MK. I really hope that with MK12 the game once again feels and plays like a MK game.

Anyway, if you want to check out some awesome (and current) match videos of both MKX and MK11 then check out a Youtube channel called "The Kolosseum Studios". Or you could just click on this link: https://www.youtube.com/c/KolosseumStudios/videos

Look at the MKX match videos compared to the MK11 videos, and see how much more intense and entertaining the MKX matches are. NRS' idea of slowing down the gameplay for MK11 was a dumb idea. I really hope they go back to the fast paced gameplay of MKX with the next game. And also bring back meter management. This lazy noobish auto meter generation BS that we have in MK11 needs to be dropped and never used again. Having auto generating meters removes a large part of the strategy in a fighting game. I can't believe the development team ever thought that auto generating meters was a good idea. Smh.

Anyway, check out that youtube channel I linked above. The matches there are insane, especially the MKX ones. You can also check out their website here: https://www.kolosseum.gg/

Last edited:

OutWorldAleMerchant

Hotaru's Number One Fan
I've said this so many times on other forums and websites, and I'll say it here again: Mortal Kombat X is more fun to play than MK11. Not only that, but Mortal Kombat X actually feels and looks like a Mortal Kombat game. MK11 does not feel like a MK game, and it also doesn't look like one either. MK11 feels more like an Injustice game with a Mortal Kombat mod installed. I also don't like that in MK11 they moved away from the dark gritty mysterious fantasy-sci-fi type vibe the series has always had. Everything in MK11, from the visual aesthetic to the way the game plays to the character moves and movement and even the music feels more like some generic comic book super hero video game than a traditional Mortal Kombat game. I also do not like the emphasis on weapons based fighting in MK11. If I wanted a weapons based fighter I would play SoulCalibur. So, like I said, Mortal Kombat X feels and plays like a true MK game, and is way more fun to play than MK11. I also don't like how in MK11 many of the characters iconic moves are missing. If I didn't know any better I would think that MK11 was originally being developed as Injustice 3, and then right at the very last stage of development they decided to switch it to MK. I really hope that with MK12 the game once again feels and plays like a MK game.
Interesting viewpoint. I actually felt pretty much the opposite way, that MKX and Injustice felt very similar and MK11 was the odd one of the bunch. Of course my opinion was based on a lot of surface level stuff. The greater speed of the fights in MKX/Inj2, how easy it was to bounce opponents for combo extensions, Raiden and Sub having their MKX movesets and variations as special abilities, etc.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I love BRC a lot too, i wish he'll make it to mk12 main rooster. but i know it's a long shot x)
anyways here is the most recent beef set between sekkcz's BRC and some other dudes cyber sub.
he plays all 3 variations on the highest level, so make sure to check him out. his drunken master is so broken XD

This dude's BRC is fuckin' nuts. Really fun to watch.

MuMuGuy

Noob
I tried to get into it, but gave up because I cannot consistently win against the people that have played for years. I sold the game shortly after it launched due to the godawful pre-XL netcode, but couldn’t attempt to pick it up until years later due to major IRL event.