What's new

Question - Hish-Qu-Ten I have few questions

Nedyrc

Noob
I decided to learn hqt but after few matches i realized he is a lot diffrent than a-list.. I was trying to use cancels for more block pressure but he doesnt seem to be very good at that.

1. How to pressure wiith cancels without a good mid? Everyone was able to just mash d1 and get out from my pressure. Do i need to use low blast to make them block after cancels?
2. How to anti air..... Predators normals are terrible for anti airing... What do i use to anti air crossup? f1?
3. Any tips for a new pred player?

Bonus question: Why pred was considered a top character? Was his 3 a mid or something? I didnt really care about pred while he was considered top tier

x-azeez

Bullet with your name on it
* 21 xx plasma run cancel into 21 is a good pressure tool ... also plus on block .. maybe +7 or +8

* Before the nerfs his 3 was a Mid. and his plasma cancels were more plus on block and hit

I decided to learn hqt but after few matches i realized he is a lot diffrent than a-list.. I was trying to use cancels for more block pressure but he doesnt seem to be very good at that.

1. How to pressure wiith cancels without a good mid? Everyone was able to just mash d1 and get out from my pressure. Do i need to use low blast to make them block after cancels?
2. How to anti air..... Predators normals are terrible for anti airing... What do i use to anti air crossup? f1?

Bonus question: Why pred was considered a top character? Was his 3 a mid or something? I didnt really care about pred while he was considered top tier
1. After the XL patch, the cancels are used to bait pokes and armor. I usually do 12 pcc, 32, pcc, etc and block afterwards to bait pokes or armor. Once they start respecting that I throw in some strings afterwards or grab. His main pressure revolves around the 50/50 mixups with the low laser. 12~laser or 122, 3~laser or 32~laser. Replace laser for ex low laser to get a full combo. Low laser is like +25 on hit so you have time to run up and do another mixup or grab. This is very cheap in the corner. He does get pressure off of 4~pcc. It's around plus +14 on block.

2. He doesn't have good anti airs, F1 works sometimes but it's risky. I usually try to have the disc up to stop people from jumping. His NJP is very good. Use that or ex straight laser. Uppercut is also unreliable.

3. Make sure those cancels are crispy and do what I said in question 1. Try not to get yourself cornered because Predator's defense is terrible.

bonus: He used to have broken damage and the cancels were way more plus. 3 was also a mid.

Last edited:

Parasurama

Dragon
Can't they still poke in between 12 pcc 32? What about using 21 and b31, are they too slow? I am also looking for goods pressure strings. Lately been doing the mix ups 12 low laser or ex or 122. I think 4 pcc can jail easily into F1, and combos too. Do you know any other jailing strings ? Don't think there is.

1. After the XL patch, the cancels are used to bait pokes and armor. I usually do 12 pcc, 32, pcc, etc and block afterwards to bait pokes or armor. Once they start respecting that I throw in some strings afterwards or grab. His main pressure revolves around the 50/50 mixups with the low laser. 12~laser or 122, 3~laser or 32~laser. Replace laser for ex low laser to get a full combo. Low laser is like +25 on hit so you have time to run up and do another mixup or grab. This is very cheap in the corner. He does get pressure off of 4~pcc. It's around plus +14 on block.

2. He doesn't have good anti airs, F1 works sometimes but it's risky. I usually try to have the disc up to stop people from jumping. His NJP is very good. Use that or ex straight laser. Uppercut is also unreliable.

3. Make sure those cancels are crispy and do what I said in question 1. Try not to get yourself cornered because Predator's defense is terrible.

bonus: He used to have broken damage and the cancels were way more plus. 3 was also a mid.

Can't they still poke in between 12 pcc 32? What about using 21 and b31, are they too slow? I am also looking for goods pressure strings. Lately been doing the mix ups 12 low laser or ex or 122. I think 4 pcc can jail easily into F1, and combos too. Do you know any other jailing strings ? Don't think there is.
Yes they can poke in between. That's why I said I block or jump after doing the cancels at first to bait pokes and armor. When they starting respecting that, I go for the pressure afterwards. 21, and b31 are good too. I said etc so I didn't have to list them all. 4 pcc is the only cancel that jails.

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!

What is your Twitter?

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I mainly use the cancels to set up for throws and bait a reversal. I honestly don't even try to anti air with him, I just dip out. He was considered to because he was much more damaging, lasers more damaging, chip in the game hadn't been reduced, ex lasers were plus on block, also built some bar back, did more chip, stand 3 was a mid, and cancels were better. I think he hasn't been top 5 since his first nerf session, and struggles in a lot of matchups now.

Nedyrc

Noob

I need to stop my crossup anti air reflex while playing predator then..
I dont have any problem with execution i would say my cancels are pretty sexy

What is your Twitter?
I dont have a twitter. Why?

And another question: why predators dont hit confirm 32 or b21 into cancel 212? Predators seem to prefer going low laser into pressure. But why not hitconfirm 212 combo into armor breaking oki setup?

For the cancels that are the most plus s4 is very plus and can jail f1 or s1. I mostly use s4 cancels in the corner though cause if they get hit by it you don't get anything midscreen. Then 32 and 12 are both around +6 or so.

If you keep getting poked after s cancel either block the poke and start pressuring or cancel into 212 and blow them up. If you cancel from 32 and 12 into 212 you should beat their poke but make sure to hit confirm cause 212 is hella punishable.

Also 21 cancel is like +4ish. I only use b31 to hit confirm cause it's barely plus. Like only +1 or +2.
For your last question I almost always try to hit confirm the cancels so I'm not sure about that one cause to me full combo > pressure. Also sometimes I'll hit confirm into f12u2. You don't get as much off it compared to 212 but it isn't punishable. Hope that helps!

Parasurama

Dragon
For the cancels that are the most plus s4 is very plus and can jail f1 or s1. I mostly use s4 cancels in the corner though cause if they get hit by it you don't get anything midscreen. Then 32 and 12 are both around +6 or so.

If you keep getting poked after s cancel either block the poke and start pressuring or cancel into 212 and blow them up. If you cancel from 32 and 12 into 212 you should beat their poke but make sure to hit confirm cause 212 is hella punishable.

Also 21 cancel is like +4ish. I only use b31 to hit confirm cause it's barely plus. Like only +1 or +2.
For your last question I almost always try to hit confirm the cancels so I'm not sure about that one cause to me full combo > pressure. Also sometimes I'll hit confirm into f12u2. You don't get as much off it compared to 212 but it isn't punishable. Hope that helps!
And B3 11 pcc feels more plus on block than B3 1 pcc. But B3 1 pcc is easier to cancel into a combo.. is that right?

I think you're right but I'm not 100% positive. B31 is very easy to combo. I usually use b311 in corner so you can still combo.

Another thing that happens a lot is when you go into a disc set up is a lot of people delay wake up since they know you can armor break and if you do meaty a b31 cancel your string will whiff completely but if you do b311 cancel they will block the last hit and you can still perform your cancel. Those are basically the only 2 scenarios I use b311 over b31.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.

Learn his armored starter, his low starter, his overhead starter, his overhead-low combo, and fire away after. Other than that, look to maximize his damage or create setups that put your opponent in the corner. Both are good ways to go.

Learn his armored starter, his low starter, his overhead starter, his overhead-low combo, and fire away after. Other than that, look to maximize his damage or create setups that put your opponent in the corner. Both are good ways to go.
What's his overhead starter ?

He doesn't have one. I think he's talking about 32 since the 2 is overhead. His only overheads are 3(2), 12(2), and f21(2).
Yeah that's what I was thinking I was like wtf lol he don't got one but there an overhead to in the back3 down 2 it's a low oh low string I do it from a jip when theY think Ima do the back 311 string

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
For cross ups, you can d3 and then confirm into f1. You won't be anti-airing some characters like Sub, Kung Jin and Jax, but it works well enough for a good portion of the cast.

Y
I tried d3 a million times it didnt work :/
I've found that f1 is your best normal for AA crossups. From there you can convert with 112~scim stab. I wouldn't use d2 cause I've tried a million times and I always get fucked. The hitbox is super wonky :confused: F1 also works well against teleports that leave them airborne such as Laos and shinnoks.

jokey77

Character Loyalist

1. You totally hit a nerve. Predator not having a mid is his biggest flaw at this point. This is, why I used to say that 21-pcc being less plus on block was his biggest nerv. In former days Predator could use the 21-string as a filler of some sort.

There are some options to work around his lack of mids though. For example disc forces the opponent to block. After any JIP you can continue with a high. In some situations even the staggers of low plasma force them to block a high. Usually 32 offers enough plusframes for f12, mostly because 2 must be blocked high. 4~pcc into f12 (or even 122 in some cases) is a true blockstring, even though 4 is a high itself.

2. Actually I use straight plasma to anti air quite often. Especially ex-plasma has a weird hitbox and might be among the best AA moves in the game. Usually instant NJP is the most common AA though. Uppercut works too.

3. I think, Predator is all about continuous pressure. Rather end combos with a disc setup than with scimitar (for max damage), because the guaranteed chip alone should cause more damage in most cases. The key to his rushdown are his 50/50 strings, even though these are forgotten quite often (122/12~ex lowplasma; f212/f21~ex lowplasma; 32/b3~ex lowplasma).

Linking d3~lowplasma is crucial for his defense, which is another flaw!

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
1. You totally hit a nerve. Predator not having a mid is his biggest flaw at this point. This is, why I used to say that 21-pcc being less plus on block was his biggest nerv. In former days Predator could use the 21-string as a filler of some sort.

There are some options to work around his lack of mids though. For example disc forces the opponent to block. After any JIP you can continue with a high. In some situations even the staggers of low plasma force them to block a high. Usually 32 offers enough plusframes for f12, mostly because 2 must be blocked high. 4~pcc into f12 (or even 122 in some cases) is a true blockstring, even though 4 is a high itself.

2. Actually I use straight plasma to anti air quite often. Especially ex-plasma has a weird hitbox and might be among the best AA moves in the game. Usually instant NJP is the most common AA though. Uppercut works too.

3. I think, Predator is all about continuous pressure. Rather end combos with a disc setup than with scimitar (for max damage), because the guaranteed chip alone should cause more damage in most cases. The key to his rushdown are his 50/50 strings, even though these are forgotten quite often (122/12~ex lowplasma; f212/f21~ex lowplasma; 32/b3~ex lowplasma).

Linking d3~lowplasma is crucial for his defense, which is another flaw!
Predator has flaws, but he's damn good too. Just like you said, protect yourself with his pressure.