What's new

I Hate Wavedashing: A Rant And Discussion Starter

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
The only thing mk11 has (other than production quality and perhaps balance) over mkx is the existance of footsies and more traditional neutral in high level play imo. If footsies really don't exist at all in mk11 and neutral is just bunch of monkeys wavedashing into poke/throw or low/oh 50/50s in a game where every character's depth is arguably the most shallow of any fighting game in the last decade(any character in this game a pro could lab for 15 minutes and master most optimals and basic game plan)...then this game is the dumbest fighting game nrs has ever made. Which I don't believe to be true.
I mean you preaty much said it yourself so I dont really wanna expound upon it. I will say accomplishing what you said doesnt really mean much mkx had no footsies either.

DeftMonk

Noob
The fact this guy doesn't understand the concept of a characters effective range box and how the movement in this game completely eliminates that is beyond me.
You aren't this dumb bro cmon... stop getting people excited. Wavedashing much like (lets not compare it to tekken's wave dashing since you don't like that for some reason)crouching or moving from ducking to standing in tekken requires frames. You are acting like mk11 is buns because there is a mechanic that allows you to move willy nilly from outside said effective range box to nuts deep into it. That isnt the case....people move into that range with the mechanic and before they get there/while they are getting there you get to plan wtf you want to do about it during those frames. If wave dashing allowed you to just pop up on some fools balls behind him/ was so fast it was impossible to react to and lead to you freely applying pressure I'd totally agree. That isn't whats happening,

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
The fact this guy doesn't understand the concept of a characters effective range box and how the movement in this game completely eliminates that is beyond me.
I think the problem is people think about traditional footsies and equate it to what mk11 has because in theory their similar. However practically traditional footsies and mk11are vastly different, but again the FGC as a whole has multiple different ways to describe the same thing there should be a college on this stuff

DeftMonk

Noob
I think the problem is people think about traditional footsies and equate it to what mk11 has because in theory their similar. However practically traditional footsies and mk11are vastly different, but again the FGC as a whole has multiple different ways to describe the same thing there should be a college on this stuff
I gaurantee u if u @ crimson shadow he will drop a bunch of clips timestamped of apparent traditional fighting game footsies existing in mk11. Cherney is probably next gonna say I'm wrong because he is only talking about wave dashing allowing a level of non intended pressure after a far knock down. Yet I will bet you money if I search this site and twitter I can also find a cherney post saying "lolz wtf wakeup options op. Impossible to have oki in mk11".

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
I gaurantee u if u @ crimson shadow he will drop a bunch of clips timestamped of apparent traditional fighting game footsies existing in mk11. Cherney is probably next gonna say I'm wrong because he is only talking about wave dashing allowing a level of non intended pressure after a far knock down. Yet I will bet you money if I search this site and twitter I can also find a cherney post saying "lolz wtf wakeup options op. Impossible to have oki in mk11".
Understand what I'm saying, in mk11 where every has a neutral destroying move teles hyper dashes armor jump kicks saying that mk11 is based in traditional footsies ala mk1-3 sf1-4 tekken1-7 bb,samshow, ki, SG, is kinda insulting honestly. Are their situations where traditional footsies can be applied most definitely do they happen more at the pro lvl absolutely however they only exist on a pro tier and for the most part are inecessable to 90% of the player base. Why you ask? Wavedashing....

DeftMonk

Noob
Understand what I'm saying, in mk11 where every has a neutral destroying move teles hyper dashes armor jump kicks saying that mk11 is based in traditional footsies ala mk1-3 sf1-4 tekken1-7 bb,samshow, ki, SG, is kinda insulting honestly. Are their situations where traditional footsies can be applied most definitely do they happen more at the pro lvl absolutely however they only exist on a pro tier and for the most part are inecessable to 90% of the player base. Why you ask? Wavedashing....
That honestly sounds kinda rediculous to me. When I was a little kid playing SF with my friends I would poop on them so hard because my jump kick into sweep game was epic. That doesn't mean sf is all about jump kicks and sweeps lol. Also if your only talking about casual level...show me a casual that is so damn good at wavedashing that he effectively can forego the footsies of mk11 with his S tier wavedashing. I would love to see because not in 1 tournament did I see some dude with the ability to do this. Player 1's turn is over and begins to walk back and prepare for whiff punish, yet player 2 is king of wave dashing (because everyone apparently is if you read this thread). Player 2 wave dashes in like a crack addict lookin for a pipe and doesn't give a fuck about player A's gameplan, This happens all the time I am sure.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
That honestly sounds kinda rediculous to me. When I was a little kid playing SF with my friends I would poop on them so hard because my jump kick into sweep game was epic. That doesn't mean sf is all about jump kicks and sweeps lol. Also if your only talking about casual level...show me a casual that is so damn good at wavedashing that he effectively can forego the footsies of mk11 with his S tier wavedashing. I would love to see because not in 1 tournament did I see some dude with the ability to do this. Player 1's turn is over and begins to walk back and prepare for whiff punish, yet player 2 is king of wave dashing (because everyone apparently is if you read this thread). Player 2 wave dashes in like a crack addict lookin for a pipe and doesn't give a fuck about player A's gameplan, This happens all the time I am sure.
Yeah you preaty much described ninja so lol

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
footsies can be applied most definitely do they happen more at the pro lvl absolutely however they only exist on a pro tier and for the most part are inecessable to 90% of the player base. Why you ask? Wavedashing....
90% of the player base isn’t wavedashing, though. People don’t really start until deep into Demi-god-ish rank. It’s definitely a higher-level mechanic along with flawless block and the like.

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
I actually think MK11's wakeup system is cool and is not very good actually. Too many OS safe jumps.

Didnt he ragequit at KIT? Why are we arguing with a guy who just quits a set bc he is mad? I just think he be trolling bc he knows ppl are gonna argue with him.

It would be a good idea to create a poll on your complain threads to see people's opinion. I bet 90% of the players like this mechanic.

DeftMonk

Noob
It would be a good idea to create a poll on your complain threads to see people's opinion. I bet 90% of the players like this mechanic.
My only gripe with wave dashing in this game is its kind of overly complicated when it doesn't need to be. Switch stance is a useless ass button...make it "sway"(similar to jax's bf2) and wavedashing would be infinitely more fluid and fun. I play on pc which is pretty much the same as a hitbox and I consider my execution to be quite good. But sometimes my timing is slightly off and the result is worse fwd motion than spamming dash. I've also seen lots of pros start a wave dash then end up with nothing so I assume its not just me. If there was a sway button and the input was ff sway f sway f sway if u fucked it up at least your moving forward and you can restart.

Chernyy Volk

The amount of people in this thread who hate whiff punishment and having to take real risks in neutral is crazy lol

DeftMonk

Noob
The amount of people in this thread who hate whiff punishment and having to take real risks in neutral is crazy lol
Wavedashing doesn't eliminate whiff punishing tho bro. Honestly with the way characters are in this game as far as how simple their offense is etc do you really want the game to turn into 2 dudes too scared to dash in any direction because you can't cancel a dash (how to eliminate wave dashing)? Pro lvl game play would be 2 guys walking back and forth inside jump distance like mk1-2.

Chernyy Volk

Wavedashing doesn't eliminate whiff punishing tho bro. Honestly with the way characters are in this game as far as how simple their offense is etc do you really want the game to turn into 2 dudes too scared to dash in any direction because you can't cancel a dash (how to eliminate wave dashing)? Pro lvl game play would be 2 guys walking back and forth inside jump distance like mk1-2.
If only the characters were more involved with bigger kits etc.

It's almost like this issue can already be fixed within the game.

Also THAT'S EXACTLY what a lot of top players wanted. Our ONLY COMPLAINT about the beta was how trash dashes were. We didn't want what we got now.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
2: It's completely safe uncheckable movement, the enemy of fighting games.
Tekken has "safe" and "uncheckable" movement with its backdash cancelling, side stepping and side walking, and various types of forward movement such as wave dashing and snake dashing. The game is precisely well-liked and well-respected because of its freestyle movement.

1: Tekken has wave dashing. Yes it does, it also has limited options and is always beatable by lows because to achieve the fastest block possible you have to neutral block which involves standing.
If you have the execution, you can cancel the wave dash into any move of your choice, including attacks that crush low attacks.

what make a game traditional fighting?
People are probably referring to fighting games such as Super Turbo, Third Strike, and many of the Tekken games because of their rigorous focus on footsies. The reality is that each fighting game defines its own footsies and hence the term is arbitrary. To use Tekken as an example again, Tekken 7 introduced some 2D characters who have super meter and the ability to jump to create offense, two aspects that have never been associated with traditional Tekken gameplay. Is Tekken 7 suddenly a "nontraditional" fighting game? The vast majority of players in the Tekken community would not make this argument.

You ask a good question, but I caution you about Cherny's threads. Treat them as comedic relief or your drunk uncle's rant at a Christmas gathering.

Chernyy Volk

Tekken has "safe" and "uncheckable" movement with its backdash cancelling, side stepping and side walking, and various types of forward movement such as wave dashing and snake dashing. The game is precisely well-liked and well-respected because of its freestyle movement.

If you have the execution, you can cancel the wave dash into any move of your choice, including attacks that crush low attacks.

People are probably referring to fighting games such as Super Turbo, Third Strike, and many of the Tekken games because of their rigorous focus on footsies. The reality is that each fighting game defines its own footsies and hence the term is arbitrary. To use Tekken as an example again, Tekken 7 introduced some 2D characters who have super meter and the ability to jump to create offense, two aspects that have never been associated with traditional Tekken gameplay. Is Tekken 7 suddenly a "nontraditional" fighting game? The vast majority of players in the Tekken community would not make this argument.

You ask a good question, but I caution you about Cherny's threads. Treat them as comedic relief or your drunk uncle's rant at a Christmas gathering.
Dave, you're wrong. lol.

"Tekken has "safe" and "uncheckable" movement with its backdash cancelling, side stepping and side walking, and various types of forward movement such as wave dashing and snake dashing. The game is precisely well-liked and well-respected because of its freestyle movement."

You can't block when side stepping or side walking and Tekken has moves specifically designed to punish side walking or stepping, often for sizable reward. Korean Backdashing is also only good as a spacing adjuster at a high level, it isn't like MK11 dash chaining with Cetrion where characters literally have to struggle to catch up. Also, the problem is FORWARD MOVING safe uncheckable movement.

"If you have the execution, you can cancel the wave dash into any move of your choice, including attacks that crush low attacks."

Not true. There's still a delay because of the fact you have to either instant crouch cancel, which adds frames, or you have to manually wait for the WS state, which also adds frames. Also let's keep in mind there's 3D movement so forward movement in Tekken isn't as big of a deal. If Tekken were 2D, I'd be calling for wave dashing to also be removed from it regardless of execution barriers etc.

"People are probably referring to fighting games such as Super Turbo, Third Strike, and many of the Tekken games because of their rigorous focus on footsies. The reality is that each fighting game defines its own footsies and hence the term is arbitrary. To use Tekken as an example again, Tekken 7 introduced some 2D characters who have super meter and the ability to jump to create offense, two aspects that have never been associated with traditional Tekken gameplay. Is Tekken 7 suddenly a "nontraditional" fighting game? The vast majority of players in the Tekken community would not make this argument."

Tekken 7 is definitely a traditional footsies/neutral focused FG you're just making bad faith arguments using straw mans here using it. Even with the 2D characters, the jumping issue is REALLY over exaggerated. It's leagues above anything in MK11 STILL lol.