What's new

I got to beta test UMK3:TE @SummerJam (Thoughts & Impressions)

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I think I posted this in another thread… maybe @Konqrr or @Shock know since they work so closely with the hacker so far...
Any unused sprites or animation? Similar to Barakas blade spin, uncle Kung's superman, etc? Would be cool to know if there is an extra fatality laying around somewhere for classic sub or human smoke
I'm sure there are some things like perhaps Nightwolf's N64 Friendship juggling axes and maybe Sonya's alt MK3 friendship, it'd be cool to have access to them. It'll be combed through but I believe any stuff found is on MK Warehouse.

nwo

Noob
I think I posted this in another thread… maybe @Konqrr or @Shock know since they work so closely with the hacker so far...
Any unused sprites or animation? Similar to Barakas blade spin, uncle Kung's superman, etc? Would be cool to know if there is an extra fatality laying around somewhere for classic sub or human smoke
Oh yeah, like remove the blackout on classic subs fatality and give him a babality. LOL

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Since I uploaded the Summer Jam footage, the UMK3:TE part is dominating views with 825 right now, triple that of MK9 top 8. Probably should front page the KN youtube update news to boost views for other stuff.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Oh yeah, like remove the blackout on classic subs fatality and give him a babality. LOL
This is maybe a trivial observation, but the other UMK3-exclusive characters' alities pretty much all involve existing sprites from vanilla MK3. The hacker could probably make his own within the confines of the code for C.Sub and H.Smoke if he wanted to.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
The hacker has plans to implement the hidden characters like the Juggernaut hack on his own without using the Juggernaut hack directly, but that's a little ways off.

I agree that UMK3TE needs to have a dedicated thread immediately as changes are made and discussed, @Konqrr if you haven't already perhaps you should repost that info.
Dude, I command you to make this its own thread immediately. Serious.
Here you go:
http://testyourmight.com/threads/official-umk3-te-changelog-and-discussion-thread.45804/

haketh

Noob
I'm with @9.95 about looking into doing something similiar to MKT to tackle GJs. Even if GJs can be flat out removed normals should still get the MKT buff IMO.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Oh really? Yeah please do, thanks!
Go to 22:41 on this video, my Sheeva vs Nightwolf. Nightwolf is one of Sheeva's many bad MU's, btw.

This next video is a tournament match. I was hella nervous and for some reason decided to pick Sheeva in my first match. It's me vs DanCock. I switched after that first match though.

There's more footage out there of players like NoDoubt Arion and REO using Sheeva, but they're hard to find. So that's why I used my links, cause I knew where they were.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Go to 22:41 on this video, my Sheeva vs Nightwolf. Nightwolf is one of Sheeva's many bad MU's, btw.

This next video is a tournament match. I was hella nervous and for some reason decided to pick Sheeva in my first match. It's me vs DanCock. I switched after that first match though.

There's more footage out there of players like NoDoubt Arion and REO using Sheeva, but they're hard to find. So that's why I used my links, cause I knew where they were.
Sorry, if this is a dumb question, but when you're doing that pop-up combo into the AA HP and then naked jumping in and throwing upon landing, is that guaranteed? I've never seen a Sheeva do that before. I assume it's most likely some sort of mixup.

Sorry, if this is a dumb question, but when you're doing that pop-up combo into the AA HP and then naked jumping in and throwing upon landing, is that guaranteed? I've never seen a Sheeva do that before. I assume it's most likely some sort of mixup.
Yeah, it's a mix up. It's an ambiguous crossup, so they have to guess which way to defend the throw. If they get it wrong, they're getting thrown. Also, he could be going for a JK or JP starter, so it kind of forces them to try and block the throw!

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Yeah, it's a mix up. It's an ambiguous crossup, so they have to guess which way to defend the throw. If they get it wrong, they're getting thrown. Also, he could be going for a JK or JP starter, so it kind of forces them to try and block the throw!
Never knew this. So much interesting stuff about this game I never had any idea about, even though I've been playing it since day 1 in the arcade before I had pubes.

REO

Undead
If Sektor could combo his standing HK into his uppercut, similar to the way he can from HP,HP, I'd be a happy man. Wouldn't be OP as it'd be the same as his HP,HP,LP string, just makes a homing missile more reliable to sacrifice doing the stronger 5 hit combo. A few less recovery frames on homing missile would be nice too.

What do you think @REO?
I think Sektor should be a heavy zoning / set-up character. I would give him the ability to do double straight missles like he can in MK:T. Make it so he can get out a free homing missle off his HK,HK string up close on hit AND block (similar to Nightwolf being able to chain into his Hatchet off his combo string). I would also give him the ability to do his flamethrower mid-game as a special and rip it from his fatality. (courtesy of @Shock.) Oh, and I think he is one of the characters that should get a little something more for landing a throw on you. Possibly make the opponent bounce a little higher after Sektor throws you so he can run in and get a LK as a combo, or launch a free homing missle while your bouncing, or go for some sort of offense by doing a deep jump-in.

I feel like if Sektor is low damaging vs grounded opponents it's fine as long as he is a power zoning character that annoys the shit out of people and gets them moving and falling for his traps.

I'm with @9.95 about looking into doing something similiar to MKT to tackle GJs. Even if GJs can be flat out removed normals should still get the MKT buff IMO.
I'm in agreement that certain normals should definitely receive buffs in some ways. Especially standing HKs, cr.LPs, and cr.HKs.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
I think Sektor should be a heavy zoning / set-up character. I would give him the ability to do double straight missles like he can in MK:T. Make it so he can get out a free homing missle off his HK,HK string up close on hit AND block (similar to Nightwolf being able to chain into his Hatchet off his combo string). I would also give him the ability to do his flamethrower mid-game as a special and rip it from his fatality. (courtesy of @Shock.) Oh, and I think he is one of the characters that should get a little something more for landing a throw on you. Possibly make the opponent bounce a little higher after Sektor throws you so he can run in and get a LK as a combo, or launch a free homing missle while your bouncing, or go for some sort of offense by doing a deep jump-in.

I feel like if Sektor is low damaging vs grounded opponents it's fine as long as he is a power zoning character that annoys the shit out of people and gets them moving and falling for his traps.

I'm in agreement that certain normals should definitely receive buffs in some ways. Especially standing HKs, cr.LPs, and cr.HKs.
So, basically Sektor from MK9 in MK3?

I agree with this decision!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Yeah, you have to time it right, but the timing is pretty simple. Some characters can do a wake-up move, like Kabal can do his spin, but if you kara jab the LP, then it's 100% safe. I actually found this set-up playing MKT, tried it out on UMK3 and it worked like a charm. It's super ambiguous and they can't really do much other than try and guess right. The best option is for them to do a c.LK, but if they start doing that, you can mix in her HK combo starter that hits low.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
In MKT nothing was done to deter run jabs, if anything they are faster more annoying, it's just people combine them with the even more annoying ducking LKs, however ducking LKs can be used to break up run jabs in a more guaranteed fashion. Shortening the recovery on them is something that is a considerable option, but not quite as fast as MKT. There is a point to some characters having better ducking LKs than others for example.

Can anyone confirm if run/glitch/defense jabs are being nerfed?

I really hope not. As much as they can frustrate me sometimes, they're a big part of the game for a lot of high level players. There is a skill to it that a lot of people have invested a lot of time in to learning it. It's possible to counter any type of jab imo. The only thing about jabs I would change is the corner infinite variations.

Thoughts?

Reactions: nwo

DWednesday

Undisputed #1 ScrubBot Worldwide.
I really hope not. As much as they can frustrate me sometimes, they're a big part of the game for a lot of high level players. There is a skill to it that a lot of people have invested a lot of time in to learning it. It's possible to counter any type of jab imo. The only thing about jabs I would change is the corner infinite variations.
This.

Nephrite

#Fujin4MK12BaseRoster
This was super fun to watch! How useful are Kitana's fan lift and square wave punch? I was hoping to see those two moves used a bit more. I like how other characters use all of their special moves, but she pretty much only uses the fan toss.

Can anything be done so that the number of hits and damage percentages are displayed on screen for the round/match winning combos? I hate it when someone finishes off a round/match with a smexy combos and the screen doesn't show the number of hits and damage percentage.

NoDoubt

nasty

vs HeroCombo. used 2 play him back when he was easier but he got better. i used sheeva most of the set