What's new

"I am a MK2 player, and I want to learn UMK3. Where do i start??"

btbb99

Noob
i'm thinking about playing in the umk3 tournament at winterbrawl, its less then 2 months away so i will probably be the first to be eliminated but any sugeestions from you guys on what i can do to get as good as possible in such short time? do i just pick kabal and play him as much i can?

Dark_Rob

Noob
NORTHEAST CHAMPIONSHIP (NECXI) Dec 4th & 5th - PHILADELPHIA, PA - UMK3 & MKII

btbb99 said:
i'm thinking about palying in the umk3 tournament at winterbrawl, its less then 2 months away so i will probably be the first to be eliminated but any sugeestions from you guys on what i can do to get as good as possible in such short time? do i just pick kabal and play him as much i can?
Kabal certainly helps, but hes risky if you dont know what your doing with him. I cant use Kabal for shit, I always spin at the wrong time lol. The spin is a great move but if you randomly throw it out there and it gets blocked its a really free "hit me please"
Kabals jabs and his pressure game are amazing. The fear of the spin is way more powerful than the spin itself. Playing against Kabal means alot of blocking to protect against the spin which can really allow Kabal to pour on the pressure.
2 months is not a long time to prepare yourself, My advice is to seek out some of the best players on MAME for a crash course. REO is an amazing player and hes always got a lot of good advice for me. No Doubt Arion is also a great player and a nice guy as well. Marvirrasta is just insane.

If you have XBL, theres guys like Juggernaut and DC Hustle.

All these guys finished in the top 5 at NEC and are insanely talented players, and nice dudes as well. Im sure they would all be able to help you learn the game well.

btbb99

Noob

thanks dark rob! the info is much appreciated:)

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder

btbb99 said:
lol thanks!
I would be more than happy to give you some pointers. It's nice to have a skilled player at another MK game come into the field. Almost like you have a "template" already to work with at first. Ask X820, I helped ease his transition a bit. (not taking anything away from him or you, you're both talented)

My AIM is "samthesparkykid" or just PM me on here if you want to spar a little on Mame. I'll try to jump on here more.

Tim Static

Adminerator

Kabal is a MK2 style character in the MK3 engine.

X820

Noob

@ bbtb.

Having moved on myself from MK2 to UMK3 I would advise what ScheissNussen did to me.
Start playing and get 3 characters YOU are comfortable with, I mean supposed you just don't feel Kabal, right?

Anyways if you want a crash course, be sure you find someone that can teach you the basics well, as opposed to just stomping you into the ground lol.

Dreamcatcher has both this qualities LOL :p

Hit me up sometime aswell, I'll try to help any way I can.

Tim Static

Adminerator

Kabal, Sindel and Robo Homo. :D

Use Kabal, don't jump (at all), limit your use of Kabal's spin (only use it for aa's and to punish), learn to block properly, and learn to kara jab. After you learn him, then you can branch out.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder

I suggest Nightwolf in terms of learning the big differences of UMK3 from MK2. He has the best rushing game even despite Kabal's spin, and among the easiest high damage combos in the game. A good Nightwolf can give you some trouble, a very good one is unpredictable.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus

btbb99 said:
i'm thinking about playing in the umk3 tournament at winterbrawl, its less then 2 months away so i will probably be the first to be eliminated but any sugeestions from you guys on what i can do to get as good as possible in such short time? do i just pick kabal and play him as much i can?
I would advise learning Human Smoke, myself. I'm slowly learning the game as well, but H.Smoke is by far the character I have the most success with. He has easy specials, juggles, and button links.

Yea, I got one of my mk2 buddies playing umk3 and that's who he mainly uses right now, Robosmoke, Hsmoke, and Liu. But let's face it, Robosmoke is like that one character everyone knows right, lol? Or at least that one character someone new can "Go To" and feel comfortable with his controls.