What's new

Hugo

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
I expected to be most psyched for Poison, but ever since the game has come out, Hugo has surprisingly been the most interesting character of the 5 new guys. Something about trying to make this behemoth work is very entertaining.

Anyone else here been using him? I'd love to hear any thoughts or tips or advice.

The biggest thing I've been doing is simply "loading up on armor." Focus attack, dash forward, then immediately st.HP or lariat, for example. It gives you a lot of advancing armor that way, and it seems to work oddly well, I guess since Hugo's forward dash seems to recover quite fast.

Other than that, I'm mostly playing a patient spacing game and poking with st.MP while grounded. He feels like Dhalsim at times... the range is insane!

@Vulcan Hades that was your Hugo video on SRK? Lets hear your thoughts! =)

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
I play Hugo like I play T. Hawk. Get in there face and grab them, then never let get away. It's been working so far.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I haven't really used him, but NinjaCW has been playing him here.

This character straight up takes chunks off of you when he hits you. It sucks when he does get in lol.

Yeah those are my vids. I made a Hugo playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXgUAwmci_AfthZ9oMwnYXh-fPWSOcpMj

My theory is that Japanese players WANT americans to think Hugo sucks and not pay attention to him / not consider him a threat at EVO. Everyone is worried about Evil Ryu, Decapre and Yun and not putting much thought about the other MUs.

I refuse to believe japanese players are that blind lol. So I think they know Hugo's good or has big potential but they act like he's the worst in the game because they want him to get buffed or something.

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
Yeah those are my vids. I made a Hugo playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXgUAwmci_AfthZ9oMwnYXh-fPWSOcpMj

My theory is that Japanese players WANT americans to think Hugo sucks and not pay attention to him / not consider him a threat at EVO. Everyone is worried about Evil Ryu, Decapre and Yun and not putting much thought about the other MUs.

I refuse to believe japanese players are that blind lol. So I think they know Hugo's good but they act like he's the worst in the game because they want him to get buffed or something.
I think it could be the fact that the Japanese don't like that style of play. I mean how many japanese T Hawk, Zangief, and Hakan players do you see? It's the same in a lot of fighters actually. They just seemed to get turned off by slow grappler type characters for whatever reason.

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN

Off topic yes, but I hear Hugo is "Z" tier. Looks really cool in combo vids though.
He isn't Z tier--IIRC he was buffed more since the console vs arcade release. He is a slowwww grappler, so yes he is very easy to counterpick and may struggle at the HIGHEST level when folks who are amazing with Ryu/E.Ryu/Guile/Dhalsim can shut him out. But outside of the absolute highest level of play, he is viable. Look at it like Oberyn vs the Mountain. You might dance around him all day and have him beat, but he only needs one grab to crush your head and steal your thunder.

He isn't Z tier--IIRC he was buffed more since the console vs arcade release. He is a slowwww grappler, so yes he is very easy to counterpick and may struggle at the HIGHEST level when folks who are amazing with Ryu/E.Ryu/Guile/Dhalsim can shut him out. But outside of the absolute highest level of play, he is viable.
Actually some Hugo players are starting to think Dhalsim and Juri could be close to 5-5. Or at least closer than they thought. He doesn't get "completely shut down" and has more ways around projectiles than Gief.

And to be fair, AlucarD is good but even he is not playing Hugo at the highest level yet. So the truth is we don't know yet.

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
Actually some Hugo players are starting to think Dhalsim and Juri could be close to 5-5. Or at least closer than they thought. He doesn't get "completely shut down" and has more ways around projectiles than Gief.

And to be fair, AlucarD is good but even he is not playing Hugo at the highest level yet. So the truth is we don't know yet.
Yes and no. My whole point was that he doesn't get completely shut out by anyone, but at the highest level of play at majors he is going to be less viable. I also feel like Gief deals with projectiles much better than Hugo. Hugo doesn't have Banishing Flat to crush projectiles and move forward--only EX Clothesline.

Yes and no. My whole point was that he doesn't get completely shut out by anyone, but at the highest level of play at majors he is going to be less viable.
When discussing tiers and matchups you're supposed to always consider the highest level of play. There's no "Hugo is B tier at low level but at high level he is D tier".

When you say Hugo is "less viable" at high level, that doesn't mean anything because you can say that for anyone. Any scrub can spam pinwheel with Juri and win at low levels but of course at high level he will get blown up. It doesn't mean Juri is less viable at high level. It means low level players don't know how to play Juri. So you shouldn't even take them into account.

My point was you simply can't know how viable Hugo will be at the highest level if there is no highest level Hugo yet.

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
When discussing tiers and matchups you're supposed to always consider the highest level of play. There's no "Hugo is B tier at low level but at high level he is D tier".

When you say Hugo is "less viable" at high level, that doesn't mean anything because you can say that for anyone. Any scrub can spam pinwheel with Juri and win at low levels but of course at high level he will get blown up. It doesn't mean Juri is less viable at high level. It means low level players don't know how to play Juri. So you shouldn't even take them into account.

My point was you simply can't know how viable Hugo will be at the highest level if there is no highest level Hugo yet.
Agreed. But I also think that half of anyone who discusses tiers in SF4 doesn't play their respective character at that level, so while I agree with you.... does that mean that only the top 20 or 30 players in SF4 are allowed to have their MUs and tier placement be relevant? Nah that's silly.

A lot of the Japanese have said that Hugo is LOL tier and will get blown up at the highest level. So, since no one has a "highest level" Hugo yet, all of that is irrelevant. Since there will be maybe a small handful of "highest level" Hugo players in the future, does that mean they're the only ones his tier placing and tournament viability matter to? Nah.

I think we agree, we're just approaching our arguments a little differently. With that--I play Shazam in Injustice. Do I play him at the HIGHEST level, probably not, but I play him well enough to understand his viability and know that unless I'm facing some Top 8 or Top 16 level competitors, it won't really matter.