What's new

General/Other - Hish-Qu-Ten HQT Predator Matchup Chart (Updated 9/9/16)

Predator has been my main since NEC and these are his matchup numbers IMO. I didn't comment on some matchups/variations because I don't have the experience with them. I think he's still in the top 15 discussion after the XL patch. Let me know what you think.

Alien Tarkatan and Acidic 5-5- I think Pred goes even with Alien. Alien has a tough time dealing with zoning in Tarkatan and Acidic. Make sure your not trading lasers with acid. Don't shoot lasers when you're in Alien's b3 range. Pred has an easier time with acidic because Tarkatan's pressure is better. Alien also has a tough time getting out of the corner against Pred.

Bo’ Rai Cho 6-4- I don’t have a ton of experience with this matchup but it seems like Bo has a hard time getting through Predator’s zoning. His defense also isn’t the best so Predator can lock him down well when he corners him.

Cassie Cage 5-5- This was probably in Cassie’s favor before the patch but now I feel it’s even. Predator should be able to zone her out well and pressure her in the corner. Cassie gives him issues when she has him cornered.

D’Vorah Swarm Queen 3-7- This is one of Predator’s worse matchups. It’s hard to zone her because of the puddle and she locks him down once she gets on him with her frame traps and puddle setups. You have to rush her down in this matchup. Her defense is still pretty bad. Get her to the corner and loop low laser mixups and frame traps.

Ermac Mystic 5-5- Predator can keep Ermac out and he has to be super patient or teleport to get in. His pressure doesn’t threaten Predator that much in Mystic. This might be 5-5. I have to play it more.

Ermac MOS 5-5- Ermac's pressure is good in this variation One wrong guess can cost you 40% health. I usually zone carefully in this matchup and try to avoiding trading with the ball. A lot of Ermac's try to low poke you and then go for the overhead starter. You can punish him hard if you block a ball up close.

Erron Black Gun slinger 5-5- This matchup feels even. Watch out for the slide because if a laser trades with ex slide, EB gets a full combo. You can pressure or zone out EB depending on the life lead. His wakeups aren't that great.

Ferra/Torr n/a- I haven’t played any good FT’s to comment on this matchup

Goro 6-4- Predator can keep Goro out and force him to tele stomp his way in which can be baited. It can get bad for Predator if he happens to get cornered.

Jacqui Briggs Full Auto 5-5- You have to be super patient playing this matchup. Predator can’t zone like he does in 90% of his other matchups. I usually duck the gun shots and throw discs to work my way in and corner her.

Jacqui Briggs High Tech 6-4- Just like the shotgun matchup, keep her out at all costs. She doesn't do nearly as much damage but she's super plus once she gets her cancels going. Don't shoot any lasers when your in range of her lunging move.

Jacqui Briggs Shotgun 5-5- Keep her out at all costs and only rush in if you need the life lead or have a disc out. If she gets in, your losing 40% minimum into a reset. Don't shoot any lasers when your in range of her lunging move.

Jason n/a- I don’t have much Jason experience but in theory Predator should be able to zone him out.

Jax 5-5- Jax has to be patient and work his way in. You have to make sure you don’t get cornered and bait out ex overhead dash punch. Make sure you don't get cornered because it is very difficult to get out of the corner against Jax.

Johnny Cage A-List 3-7- This is by far one of Predator’s worse matchups. The predator player has to keep him out at all cost. In this matchup I end everything with low laser and then throw a disc. If the Johnny player tries to ex shadow kick, straight laser+disc breaks the armor. Save all your meter for breaker and ex corner intractables. When he has you in the corner its almost impossible to get out. Ex stab isn't an option to get out of the corner. Try to read a stagger string and low laser or poke out of the pressure. This is why you need to save all your meter for breaker/corner interactable.

Kano Cybernetic 6-4- This matchup is rough for Kano. He can’t really zone well in this matchup and he’s forced to rush in. Predator can lame him out.

Kano Cutthroat 4-6- This may end up being in Kano’s favor. Cutthroat is scary up close but Predator can keep him out for the most part. The Predator player has to keep him out and avoid his high damage 50/50 combos.

Kano Commando 6-4- Predator zones him well but Commando is tough to block once he gets in.

Kenshi Balanced 7-3- Predator should be able to zone Kenshi out fairly well and Kenshi isn’t much of a threat when he’s close to Predator.

Kenshi Kenjutsu 6-4- Predator zones him out but can get rushed down once Kenshi gets in. In this matchup watch out for the overhead special and punish with f12.

Kenshi Possessed
6-4- Keep discs out so he can't teleport. Learn the gaps in his block strings into the low sword.

Kitana Royal Storm/Assassin 6-4 – Predator zones her out and her pressure isn’t strong enough to threaten him when she gets in.

Kitana Mournful 5-5- I need more experience with this matchup but the zoning war seems to be equal and she can pressure him with ex glaive when she gets in.

Kotal Kahn War God 5-5- Predator keeps Kotal out well with lasers and discs. It’s rough for Predator when he does get in but if you play the matchup right, Kotal should be fullscreen most of the match. It’s also bad for Kotal when he gets corned because Predator’s corner disc setup’s blow up all of Kotal’s wakups. Look out for yolo ex overhead sword. A lot of kotal players do it.

Kotal Kahn Sun God and Blood Good 6-4- Kotal has a hard time getting through the zoning and his pressure isn't as scary in these variations because he relies on ex pizza. It's also easier to rush Kotal down because his wakeups are trash.

Kung Jin Shaolin 5-5- This match feels like it's 5-5. Predator can outzone him at fullscreen but Jin is a threat once he gets in. You have to lab this matchup and know when to backdash or armor ex chakram pressure. Jin has a floaty jump so make sure always have a disc out. You can also snipe him out of the air with straight laser.

Kung Lao 5-5- This matchup was worse before the XL patch but now it feels even. It’s hard to keep Lao out and his rushdown is still very good. Ex spin still punishes low laser laser on block. Make sure you have a disc out at all times to make him scared to teleport. You can punish all teleports with f1, 122~ender. Bait out ex spin reversals by doing a plasma cancel and then blocking.

Leatherface n/a- I don’t have any experience with this matchup but I play Leatherface and I can see this being bad for him. Leatherface hits hard but he’s slow and can be zoned out.

Liu Kang Dragonfire 3-7- Probably Predator's hardest matchup. Predator only has a chance if he gets the life lead early. You can zone Liu but its hard to keep disc out because of low fireball. Predator has no chance once he's cornered. You have to make a read once he's out of stamina .

Liu Kang Flamefist 4-6- Predator can d3 all of Kang's options after ex flurry punch except low fireball. Liu can be zoned out but make sure your not trading lasers with fireballs when his buff is active.

Liu Kang Dualist 4-6- IMO Dualist has the best corner pressure out of all of his variations. It's almost impossible to get of the corner against this character. Keep him out at all costs. You can pressure him on knockdown but stay out of the corner.

Mileena Piercing 4-6- This matchup is very annoying. Her sai's recover quick and the teleport is almost instant. The zoning game is in Predators favor but not by much. D4 does compete with her b12. She won't be able to spam that in your face. Get the life lead and make her come to you.

Quan Chi Summoner 5-5- On of the few characters who can easily outzone Predator. Your rushdown game has to be on point in this matchup. Quan's defense is still weak and can easily be locked down in the corner with frame traps and laser mixups. Only zone when you have a life lead of 50% or more. It's hard to get in once Quan gets his zoning going.

Raiden Master of Storms 6-4- Predator outzones him and Radien has to take risks to get in. It could be bad for Predator when he gets cornered. I don’t have much experience with the other variations.

Reptile 6-4- Predator out zones Reptile and he has to take risks to get in. This could be 5-5, haven’t played a lot of good reptile players.

Scorpion Hellfilre/Ninjutsu 5-5- This match feels even. Ninjutsu can outspace Predator and Hellfire can rush him down. Predator has to be careful when zoning Scorp.

Shinnok Boneshaper 4-6- I used to think this match was even but after playing Cowboy, I think this matchup is slightly in Shinnok's favor. It's hard to outzone Shinnok because his gun has fast startup. Shinnok can also punish you for shooting lasers in ex scoop range. Predator can lock him down in the corner but Shinnok has more tools in this match.

Sonya Demo 3-7- Predator can keep her out for the most part but when she gets in, it’s hard to get her off you.

Sonya Covert Ops 5-5- Predator can easily keep her out and her pressure game isn't as strong as demo's when she's in. It's still hard to get out once predator is cornered. Always use disc setups to keep her from dive kicking and zone her out. I would only pressure her after a disc setup after knockdown.

Sonya Special Forces 6-4- This is Sonya's zoning varation but she can't out zone Predator in this matchup. She has to get in and mix him up. Sonya's mixups are great in general but she gets let damage in this variation unless the drone is out.

Sub-Zero Grandmaster 6-4- This is rough for Sub. He gets outzoned and Predator can d4 through clones to hit him. Sub’s only chance is to get Predator in the corner and keep him there the whole match.

Sub-Zero Cyromancer 6-4- Sub's offense is better in this variation but Predator still does a good job keeping him out.

Takeda Ronin 5-5- Predator can zone him out but it’s hard for Predator once he gets in. You have to know how to get out of Takeda’s blade call setups and zone him. Predator also locks him down in the corner.

Takeda SR- 5-5 – Predator has to go full rushdown mode in this matchup. Takeda can easily get past zoning with instant air teleport. Get takada to the corner and mix him up. His wakeups are trash. Make sure you don't d4 a lot in this matchup. Takeda's njp can whiff punish d4 after negative strings.

Takeda Lasher 6-4- Takeda has a hard time getting in on Predator. Keep him out with discs and lasers. Watch out for the low scoop and practice getting out of ex kunai pressure

Tanya Dragon N 7-3- Tanya has no chance in this matchup. She gets out zoned very easily and can't use her pogo stick.

Tremor Aftershock 5-5 - You have to rush tremor down in this matchup. The air quake blows up Pred's zoning.

Tremor Crystaline 5-5 Zone him out and watch out for the safe armor launcher. Cancel strings into njp if you read the ex launcher

Cyrax (I haven't played any high level Cyrax players to comment)

Sektor 5-5- Predator slightly outzones him but can be punished for zoning with instant air teleport. Sekor can lock him down in the corner with up missile setups. Sektor's defense is weak so rush him down in this matchup. It's easy to blow up ex flame with corner disc setups.

Cyber Sub 6-4 Cyber sub gets outzoned in this matchup and he doesn't do much damage. Its rough for Predator when he gets stuck in the corner. Watch out for ex freeze and either pressure or zone cyber sub out.

Smoke 5-5 This match is even. Predator can't hit smoke with his corner setups because Smoke can ex phase out. It's also hard to zone out smoke. Make sure you blow up Smoke's gimmick strings into smoke bomb. There's gaps in most of his pressure strings. Damage is the main factor in this matchup. Predator does way more damage than smoke but that goes out the window if you keep getting hit with the 50/50s

Last edited:

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
I've never struggled against HQT as Cassie. I would of thought she won that MU in Brawler/Hollywood. Easy enough to get in to be honest imo. That's my experience anyway.

oaoo94

Owner of HAZARDOUS Gaming
Imposter loses this MU as I can't really teleport because of the disc. It's not impossible but it's definitely an uphill MU. And the hill is very steep.

I think DN tanya gets destroyed by predator.

Also I'be only played the MU a bit, but I can see predator doing pretty well again Alien.

I never watched the movies, so I'm not sure who is supposed to win in canon lol.

JDM

Noob
I think he definitely beats Cassie tbh. Unless you can perfectly IAG's you are gonna be in for a rough time.

Sub/Pred isn't nearly as bad as 7-3 imo. 6-4 Pred because of how brutal the corner is for predator.

I definitely don't think he loses to sonya that hard. Maybe 4-6 if not a 5-5. After the nerfs his zoning is weaker so I can see 4-6

The rest I either agree with or don't have a comment for

Somea2V

Thread Referee
Johnny Cage A-List 3-7- This is by far one of Predator’s worse matchups. Johnny bullies Predator to the corner with his jailing + frame traps and there isn’t much Predator can do once he’s cornered.
He has one cancel over +20, three at +17 and it goes down from there. It's no doubt a hard matchup for Pred, but don't exaggerate like a brat.

there is know way dvora is advantaged in that matchup. she gets outzoned so heavily in that match up. she doesn't have many options for breaking predators armored grab on wake up (seriously, not many predators wake up against her for for whatever reason. makes no sense, he can armor through every meaty db1 set up with grab, she doesnt have very good armor breaking normals after a knock down, and preds can just armor through puddle when being pressured when she just throws it out there.) The armor breaking option we have, being b12, isnt safe on block (i believe were minus 10). I think predators are just conditioned to not throw ou there armor everywhere cuz its bad in most cases. but against dvora its god like.

to help with the zning problems you have with her zone her at a range where your grab is threatening, if she throws out a puddle yoy will have plenty of time to react with armored grab covering 3/4 of the screen. you just need to space her better it sounds like.

jokey77

Character Loyalist

Alien- 5-5 acidid, 6-4 other variations

Cassie Cage 5-5

D’Vorah Swarm Queen 5-5

Erron Black 5-5

Ferra/Torr 6-4

Goro 6-4

Jacqui Briggs Full Auto 4-6

Kano Cutthroat 6-4

Kung Jin 6-4

Mileena Piercing 4-6

Raiden Master of Storms 5-5

Sonya 6-4

Sub-Zero Grandmaster 6-4

Sektor 5-5

... this is where I definitly disagree. I either agree on the rest or lack experience.

although i will say its silly goose eggs that dvora can run under regular straight lazer from you guys lol. but thats pretty much the only way she can get in, off of a read and a yolo run up. at least in my experience in the matchup. i think predator takes her 6-4

one more thing i forgot to mention if dvora is running up preds he can check her with d4 and b2 really easily cuz those normals out ranges all of hers.

He has one cancel over +20, three at +17 and it goes down from there. It's no doubt a hard matchup for Pred, but don't exaggerate like a brat.
Ahh, his best cancel is only over +20? Predator can get out of that easily. I'd say only a 6-4 MU then.

Reactions: JDM

Somea2V

Thread Referee
Ahh, his best cancel is only over +20? Predator can get out of that easily. I'd say only a 6-4 MU then.
You're kind of cute, little guy. Yes you are. Yes you are! Who's a good boy? Who's a good little guy? You are!

Mockery aside, A-list is a hard match-up for Pred. And nowhere did I deny that. I'm just fixing the exaggeration. He has insane cancels that allow for jailing and incredible pressure that cause Predator intense difficulty, expecially at the corner, and can easily break what little armor he has by use of 12. But giving the only explanation as to why it's difficult as "+20 frame traps" shows a fundamental misunderstanding of why the match-up is difficult. Mainly because Predator has almost no moves at 21 frames of start-up and higher. And to those of you who don't understand why that's relevant, you're probably the same people thinking a "+20 frame trap" is a thing.

JDM

Noob
You're kind of cute, little guy. Yes you are. Yes you are! Who's a good boy? Who's a good little guy? You are!

Mockery aside, A-list is a hard match-up for Pred. And nowhere did I deny that. I'm just fixing the exaggeration. He has insane cancels that allow for jailing and incredible pressure that cause Predator intense difficulty, expecially at the corner, and can easily break what little armor he has by use of 12. But giving the only explanation as to why it's difficult as "+20 frame traps" shows a fundamental misunderstanding of why the match-up is difficult. Mainly because Predator has almost no moves at 21 frames of start-up and higher. And to those of you who don't understand why that's relevant, you're probably the same people thinking a "+20 frame trap" is a thing.
I don't think you understand how frame data works