What's new

How Useful is this OS Wake-up Tech?

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
@Professor Oak showed me this yesterday so I took it to the lab to experiment with it and I also showed @STB Sgt Reed and @RakeemGTR so I made a video to explain what it is exactly.

I feel like it's very dependent on timing, like if your opponent delays their grab or meaty it won't work that well (not sure if it can stop all meatys, but I'm sure it covers a lot of options), but it seems to work really well to stop people who play like damn maniacs and grab or attack on knockdown (like me, lul).

https://www.bitchute.com/video/D5PKpqiq1DcT/

Basically, when you wake-up, quickly tap R2 twice and then hold block. The game will register it as a neutral duck and you'll still be blocking, so it covers both attack pressure and throw pressure. You still have to guess if they're gonna go for a low/overhead string, but still, it eliminates a part of the guessing on wake-up, especially when you don't have any defensive meter.

What do you all think about this, useful or just a fluke?

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Shooting for flawless blocking meaties is interesting as well.

If they attempt throw and you didn’t duck, if you buffered u2 you tech forward, if you u3 you tech backward.

As far as the meaties go, you’ll need to know your opponents meaty options. If they have mids faster than the throw, then it’ll be useless. Essentially, you aren’t tapping block. You’re waking up with neutral duck and then quickly going to block to both avoid a throw and block a meaty.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator

If they attempt throw and you didn’t duck, if you buffered u2 you tech forward, if you u3 you tech backward.

As far as the meaties go, you’ll need to know your opponents meaty options. If they have mids faster than the throw, then it’ll be useless. Essentially, you aren’t tapping block. You’re waking up with neutral duck and then quickly going to block to both avoid a throw and block a meaty.
Yeah you told me that! That's crazy dude. I need to practice that shit for sure. Especially against Jacqui and Jax.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man

And people are saying that there isn't much to learn in this game...

I've got some time after work tonight, I know what I'll be doing. Or at least attempting to do.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man

So for example, this wouldn't be able to work well against Cassie, since she's got a 9-frame mid in her F4, correct?

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
So for example, this wouldn't be able to work well against Cassie, since she's got a 9-frame mid in her F4, correct?
Right. Unless on a read that she usually meaties with something other than f4.

Also, it’s something to note, MOST players are not timing meaties properly. That’s why we see so much wake up jump and wake up normals. While practicing this, everyone should be practicing timing their oki to hit wake up, short delay wake up, and long delay wake up.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man

Also, it’s something to note, MOST players are not timing meaties properly. That’s why we see so much wake up jump and wake up normals. While practicing this, everyone should be practicing timing their oki to hit wake up, short delay wake up, and long delay wake up.
Yeah, my main issue is never knowing what to lab for, aside from combos. I'll definitely make a note for all of this, though.

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
On the one hand im glad to see interesting tech being discovered and this sounds really useful.

On the other hand, the last thing i want in this game is for the defender to have even more options on wakeup. Especially from an OS.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
This isn't an OS

this is just smart defensive play

I say smart because technically I can catch that frame(s) where you let go on my meaty and it still work.

If they game is actually "showing" ND but registering blocking..... then it just adds to the list of horribly designed things in this game.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight

This x1000.

No one should ever get away with jumping on their wakeup.

It's now one of the first things I lab when learning a new character. How to time that meaty/finding a meaty that covers/punishes a jump and a roll.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
This isn't an OS

this is just smart defensive play

I say smart because technically I can catch that frame(s) where you let go on my meaty and it still work.

If they game is actually "showing" ND but registering blocking..... then it just adds to the list of horribly designed things in this game.
How is it not an OS when it takes away the guessing game and covers two options, isn't that the definition of an OS?

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
How is it not an OS when it takes away the guessing game and covers two options, isn't that the definition of an OS?
Is there a way to confirm that this 100% elims the situation? I don't think it does personally.

I just want to get it straight. YOu're essentially tapping block when a meaty move SHOULD land, letting go such that a meaty throw would whiff, and then again holding block to cover the "late" attacks.

What happens when I'm late with the meaty and hit you during the timing of letting go and holding block? Does the game eliminate those frames as "non blocking"?

These are the questions I must know for it to truly be an OS. If the game is reading the Neutral ducking portion as also blocking then yeah, OS it is. Otherwise it is just a smart player being smart about timing.

Look i'm arguing symantix at this point. I think this is great. Don't get me wrong. I do it after strike throws from time to time as well on people trying to condition me with throws (JAX PLAYERS I"M LOOKING AT ALL YA'LL).

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Is there a way to confirm that this 100% elims the situation? I don't think it does personally.

I just want to get it straight. YOu're essentially tapping block when a meaty move SHOULD land, letting go such that a meaty throw would whiff, and then again holding block to cover the "late" attacks.

What happens when I'm late with the meaty and hit you during the timing of letting go and holding block? Does the game eliminate those frames as "non blocking"?

These are the questions I must know for it to truly be an OS. If the game is reading the Neutral ducking portion as also blocking then yeah, OS it is. Otherwise it is just a smart player being smart about timing.

Look i'm arguing symantix at this point. I think this is great. Don't get me wrong. I do it after strike throws from time to time as well on people trying to condition me with throws (JAX PLAYERS I"M LOOKING AT ALL YA'LL).
Oh, I see that makes sense.

Basically the way it works is that once you quickly tap block on wake-up, no watter that they do, meaty or grab, it'll work. The quick tapping ensures the grab will whiff and since you did it so quickly, you'll also block any incoming attack. So it's not about timing the block for late meatys or late attacks, the quick tap has to be done so quickly that there is technically no gap in between neutral ducking and blocking ducking.

I hope that makes sense, I feel like we probably should lab this more, but from what I labbed it works on properly timed offense on knockdown.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Sorry but I have to be the no-fun police. These attacks aren't coming close to connecting on the same frame, you're not timing the meaty properly for either. This definitely isn't an OS.

It doesn't 'cover' either option, its basically rolling the dice on when a specific type of attack will become active.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Sorry but I have to be the no-fun police. These attacks aren't coming close to connecting on the same frame, you're not timing the meaty properly for either. This definitely isn't an OS.

It doesn't 'cover' either option, its basically rolling the dice on when a specific type of attack will become active.
Yeah I need to lab it more, but it works well for grabs so far xD but I mean quick tap blocking isn’t an OS by itself. That’s why I’m asking, we need to lab it. But Oaks explained it better here in the thread.