What's new

How to use "The Last Breath" or "Final block" mechanics

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
@ETC Mcfly Nice vid, where did you find the mythologies Skin? I know it's in the krypt but did you get it by chance or a specific spot?

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
2 min and you repeated yourself 4 times.....why though. This could have ended after 30 sec
It’s 1:48, and was pretty useful if you weren’t aware how the mechanic operates. It’s not like it’s a 5min vid.

Nice vid. I wasn’t aware flawless block got rid of both meters. It’s odd, but good to know. You’d think it would take no meter but whatever haha.

I wasn’t aware flawless block got rid of both meters. It’s odd, but good to know. You’d think it would take no meter but whatever haha.
Same. I thought the idea is to make it that flawless block was your only option apart from not getting hit. But I guess they're thinking that because you were hit and should be dead, you should still be at a loss, so you lose meter instead.

grandabx

The Flameater
This game doesn't do a very good job of dealing with chip-kill. Last breath is useless against multi-hit specials, long-range Fatal Blows and DOT situations.

The way this game is set up, there shouldn't be any chip-kill. Regular chip, and DOT should take you down to 1% and the player should have to earn the last hit. Shoot, even successfully breaking a throw does chip. lol

They were just tossing chip and Krush Kounters wherever they could.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
This game doesn't do a very good job of dealing with chip-kill. Last breath is useless against multi-hit specials, long-range Fatal Blows and DOT situations.

The way this game is set up, there shouldn't be any chip-kill. Regular chip, and DOT should take you down to 1% and the player should have to earn the last hit. Shoot, even successfully breaking a throw does chip. lol

Every modern NRS game has had chip kills. It’s one of the things that defines their games.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations

It's just part of some characters pro and cons. Jade Skarlett and Centrion could time you out. Erron Black, Geras, Noob could steal a round with their Fatal Blows, and some characters are good at getting around the chip protection through bleed damage or multi-hit specials. It's cool. Saying "last breath is useless against ___" is kinda missing the point. Every tactic/mechanic is "useless" against SOMETHING. Breakaway is "useless" against a character doing high grounded damage like Kollector.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
It's just part of some characters pro and cons. Jade Skarlett and Centrion could time you out. Erron Black, Geras, Noob could steal a round with their Fatal Blows, and some characters are good at getting around the chip protection through bleed damage or multi-hit specials. It's cool. Saying "last breath is useless against ___" is kinda missing the point. Every tactic/mechanic is "useless" against SOMETHING. Breakaway is "useless" against a character doing high grounded damage like Kollector.
True or useless against(the breakaways I mean) a case vs. Cetrion, if you watch the Kombat vs Dragon match, Kombat breaks away with Raiden at one point and when he lands still gets hit by Cetrion's water rise due to the frames of the move which is so lame lol. Personally, I miss the breakers.

grandabx

The Flameater
What I'm saying is the players should have to earn the last hit. You shouldn't lose a round/match for doing what you're supposed to do when you're attacked (blocking). That defeats the whole purpose of neutral. It's the reason most games have soften the effect of chip-kill. There's absolutely no skill involved in winning in that fashion. The defender doesn't have any real option. MK is the only game where blocked normal attacks and throw attempts do chip. The Breakaway example doesn't equate to this situation. This a situation that is a design flaw. Exclusive grounded combos is a strategic approach to combos. There's nothing strategic about making someone block with low life and winning on the spot. Many games have already solved this problem, like Tekken only has chip on projectiles. Street Fighter V has chip on special attacks and recoverable life on heavy normal attacks and only chip-kill with supers. Injustice's chip-kill is done the same way. Most anime games have some sort of finite meter that negates chip, but must be meter managed well to use effectively. Mortal Kombat is still one of the only ones dealing with this ancient issue.

DeftMonk

Noob
thanks for this honestly until I watched this I thought you just got 2 extra blocks regardless of defensive meter.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
What I'm saying is the players should have to earn the last hit. You shouldn't lose a round/match for doing what you're supposed to do when you're attacked (blocking). That defeats the whole purpose of neutral. It's the reason most games have soften the effect of chip-kill. There's absolutely no skill involved in winning in that fashion. The defender doesn't have any real option. MK is the only game where blocked normal attacks and throw attempts do chip. The Breakaway example doesn't equate to this situation. This a situation that is a design flaw. Exclusive grounded combos is a strategic approach to combos. There's nothing strategic about making someone block with low life and winning on the spot. Many games have already solved this problem, like Tekken only has chip on projectiles. Street Fighter V has chip on special attacks and recoverable life on heavy normal attacks and only chip-kill with supers. Injustice's chip-kill is done the same way. Most anime games have some sort of finite meter that negates chip, but must be meter managed well to use effectively. Mortal Kombat is still one of the only ones dealing with this ancient issue.
I suppose an an MK9 Quan Chi player, I'm predisposed to having zero issue with you dying while you're blocking. :)

Madog32

PSN: ImaGiveItToUBaby
good to know.

I'm still a little confused about how this should be working. In the pools at CB Nutty(Jade) vs Jeremiah(Jacqui) there was a situation where jacqui was down to her Last Breath and Jade threw Air Glaives (taking away bar 1), then landed and did a B2~Shadow Kick. The B2 did not remove the 2nd last breath but the shadow kick did, costing jade the game. But from what i understand of the video in this thread, shouldn't that B2 have taken Jacquis 2nd last breath bar?

I'm guessing the blocked B2 would not have done the 1% damage required to kill?

Match in Question