What's new

How to use kotal's unblockable

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I’m sorry if it’s known, I didn’t want to dig through the pages.

But he gets an unblockable vs normal WU/ rolls? B22 xx kotal cut, 34 xx quake seems designed to force delayed WU, which lets Kotal get god ray out, etc etc. There’s a good mind game there somewhere.
And then u were like

Dropping combo damage for unsafe unblockables is not really worth it at all. Especially to threaten sunlight, which is largely useless in ascension outside of certain matchups.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Yeah, the difference between those setups being that 34 and kahn cut don't lead to unjumpable unblockables.

And the sunlight from 34 and kahn cut are punishable from the entire entire, as opposed to only few characters from the video's setup.
Lol yeah but like... it does lead to an unjumpable unblockable. And there are a few more reasons to use my set-up.
  • it does more damage
  • it’s a cancel (no timing required)
  • works in corner with more strings
  • more hit adv. (UB hits late active frames)
The sunlight/ god ray was a progression from the UB, for when the opponent starts using delay WU.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Lol yeah but like... it does lead to an unjumpable unblockable. And there are a few more reasons to use my set-up.
  • it does more damage
  • it’s a cancel (no timing required)
  • works in corner with more strings
  • more hit adv. (UB hits late active frames)
The sunlight/ god ray was a progression from the UB, for when the opponent starts using delay WU.
Kahn cut is not unjumpable unless you give up 20%+ dmg for the unblockable, in which case it's not worth it.

You'll never land 34 midscreen unless from F122 kb which would be extremely suboptimal, or raw b22, for the same reason. Didn't remember it being unjumpable though.

Sunlight on a delay wu read is terrible. Risk a full combo for sunlight is not something you can afford vs good players w better chars. That's why f34 making it safe is better.

In the corner people who know the matchup already react to unblockable cancels easily with dwu, but it'll work vs people who don't know better.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
“b22 xx kahn cut, 34 xx quake”

It’s one combo. What don’t you get about this
Probably that I don't really see commas used for combos and that both kahn cut and 34 are enders into the unblockable, with kahn cut being exactly +42.

The confusion also stems from the fact you don't mention which variation's sunlight and where on the screen you're doing it, as 34 works after kahn cut only in the corner vs anyone but big bodies and midscreen only vs big bodies.

So there you go, reactable in the corner, not worth midscreen because only works vs big bodies, can still be reacted to and is incredibly tough. And if you're doing sunlight, same thing. Reactable, and in the corner the sunlight outside of totemic, which is a really niche and overall garbage variation, is mostly out of bounds.

The entire point of the setups on video is that it's a legit mixup, not reaction, and the sunlight is safe vs some of the cast.

Cancel into quake = reactable, gimmicky, punishable
Certain combo enders into quake = generally unpunishable and a lot harder to react to, if not unreactable ( with delay getup ).

Last edited:
Best character in the game, has unblockables.

But really I kept saying that it's meaty as fuck and pigeon holes people to do wake ups etc. Move definitely hits people that know the match up etc.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Yes, that's the only case in which it's 100% unavoidable, is if you make that specific read.
That seems extremely good then. Is there anyone else in the game that can true punish you for delayed wu? I dont think anyone else has true unblockables in that way

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
That seems extremely good then. Is there anyone else in the game that can true punish you for delayed wu? I dont think anyone else has true unblockables in that way
It's still a guess between U3 or delay wakeup.

I need to test it, the execution is a bit demanding actually. Gotta do just a small enough microdash to be at max unblockable range and no further.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
It's still a guess between U3 or delay wakeup.

I need to test it, the execution is a bit demanding actually. Gotta do just a small enough microdash to be at max unblockable range and no further.
Sure its a read but it would mean that Kotal is the only character in the game that can true punosh you for reading delay wu while others only get the chance to continue pressure. This might make kotal one of the best oki characters in the game actually since he can true punish delay wu while also standing outside of everyones u2 and u3 range. So if you do the delay wu timing would that also not punish the u3 on recovery assuming the unblockable hits at max range and that range is longer than the opponents u3 range?

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
I can see this as being especially useful for Totemic. Actually get something off a B22.

TY for the knowledge.

Yeah but @Wetdoba he needs it lol.

It's really good but this all relies on one big thing, landing a hit. It's hard to condition a response when you typically get pushed away for half life. But it is what makes kotal very fun. In general, you can unblockable delay wake ups and it keeps your momentum going.

And yes a delayed quake beats any active wake up option except roll back I think. But when you get the juicy corner pushes, his unblockable is real at jump range.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Yeah but @Wetdoba he needs it lol.

It's really good but this all relies on one big thing, landing a hit. It's hard to condition a response when you typically get pushed away for half life. But it is what makes kotal very fun. In general, you can unblockable delay wake ups and it keeps your momentum going.
What do you mean by pushed away for half life?