What's new

Guide - Goro How to play Goro in MKXL (October 2016 Patch)

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
Hellooooooo Kombatants! With the release of the new patch and the nice adjustments Goro's been given, I thought it'd be the right time to share what I know about playing Goro in MKX. I've played Goro regularly as a secondary since the games release, but feel he's finally come into his own with the most recent patch.

This is all free form, taken from my stream. It's a little scattered and I waffle on at some points so apologies if I've missed some key points.

Feel free to ask anything to me here or Twitter regarding Goro in MKX!

https://twitter.com/CabjoyAU

You can catch me live with more Goro shenanigans on http://twitch.tv/cabjoy!

BNBs start at 23:10. In order:

F3 xx Punchwalk MB, run cancel b12u2 x2, b12 xx Shokan Grab
NOTE: Can be inconsistent against Females
Alternative: F3 xx Punchwalk MB, NJP, run cancel b12u2, F3 xx Shokan Grab

F3 xx Punchwalk MB, run cancel b12u2, run under 121 xx Punchwalk
Alternative: F3 xx Punchwalk MB, run cancel b12u2, run under 121 xx Shokan Grab

b12u2, run cancel b12u2 x2, d4 xx Shokan Grab
Alternative: b12u2, run cancel b12u2, F3 xx Shokan Grab

b12u2, run cancel b12u2, run under 121 xx Punchwalk
Alternative: b12u2, run cancel b12u2, run under 121 xx Shokan Grab

F3 xx Punchwalk MB, b12u2, d2, 11, b12 xx Shokan Grab
Alternative: F3 xx Punchwalk MB, NJP, f4, d1, 11, b12 xx Shokan Grab

F3 xx EX Shokan Bolt, d3, d1, 11, b12 xx Shokan Grab

3d3, b12u2, 11, 11, b12 xx Shokan Grab
NOTE: Extremely tight in Dragon Fangs!
Alternative: 3d3, d1, d1, 11 b12 xx Shokan Grab

f214, b12u2, b12u2, 11, 11 xx Shokan Grab
1 bar version: f214 xx EX Shokan Bolt, d1, 11, b12 xx Shokan Grab

Promoted by Youphemism

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
This is mainly for the general audience, I'm 99% sure all the regular players will know all this stuff. It was fairly unplanned so please let me know if I've missed anything super obvious!

SaltFace NS

Ultimate Mileena Exterminator
Hellooooooo Kombatants! With the release of the new patch and the nice adjustments Goro's been given, I thought it'd be the right time to share what I know about playing Goro in MKX. I've played Goro regularly as a secondary since the games release, but feel he's finally come into his own with the most recent patch.

This is all free form, taken from my stream. It's a little scattered and I waffle on at some points so apologies if I've missed some key points.

Feel free to ask anything to me here or Twitter regarding Goro in MKX!

https://twitter.com/CabjoyAU

You can catch me live with more Goro shenanigans on http://twitch.tv/cabjoy!
Thank you for this I learned a lot & will add it to my game.

Pyro

Noob
Useful stuff. I didn't know you could tick throw after ending in a plus string with Goro, that alone is very handy. Thanks alot.

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
Useful stuff. I didn't know you could tick throw after ending in a plus string with Goro, that alone is very handy. Thanks alot.
Yeah it's a very good way to keep the opponent on their toes. Since Goro isn't one with the mix, the frame trap/throw game is one of his best ways to get the damage.

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
Here's a shit ton of matches I played on stream throughout the night following recording of the guide. First night playing new Goro, lot's of experimenting and attempting to decipher some of the new matchups.

I'll be streaming lotsa Goro and uploading plenty of sets to YouTube from here on out.

Vs Hollywood

Vs HQT and Piercing

Vs Gunslinger, Hollywood, Brawler, Piercing, Sorceror

Vs Master of Souls

Vs Brood Mother

Vs Royal Storm

Vs Possessed Kenshi

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
Updated with BNBs and video annotations:

BNBs start at 23:10. In order:

F3 xx Punchwalk MB, run cancel b12u2 x2, b12 xx Shokan Grab
NOTE: Can be inconsistent against Females
Alternative: F3 xx Punchwalk MB, NJP, run cancel b12u2, F3 xx Shokan Grab

F3 xx Punchwalk MB, run cancel b12u2, run under 121 xx Punchwalk
Alternative: F3 xx Punchwalk MB, run cancel b12u2, run under 121 xx Shokan Grab

b12u2, run cancel b12u2 x2, d4 xx Shokan Grab
Alternative: b12u2, run cancel b12u2, F3 xx Shokan Grab

b12u2, run cancel b12u2, run under 121 xx Punchwalk
Alternative: b12u2, run cancel b12u2, run under 121 xx Shokan Grab

F3 xx Punchwalk MB, b12u2, d2, 11, b12 xx Shokan Grab
Alternative: F3 xx Punchwalk MB, NJP, f4, d1, 11, b12 xx Shokan Grab

F3 xx EX Shokan Bolt, d3, d1, 11, b12 xx Shokan Grab

3d3, b12u2, 11, 11, b12 xx Shokan Grab
NOTE: Extremely tight in Dragon Fangs!
Alternative: 3d3, d1, d1, 11 b12 xx Shokan Grab

f214, b12u2, b12u2, 11, 11 xx Shokan Grab
1 bar version: f214 xx EX Shokan Bolt, d1, 11, b12 xx Shokan Grab

ShadyHeart

Relationship with Sonya ended
F3 punch walk feels so shitty now since it's unsafe unless you spend a bar. My goro play style is ruined because I relied on safe punch walk. :(

EMPEROR_KNICKS

Master of Kombat(frauds)
F3 punch walk feels so shitty now since it's unsafe unless you spend a bar. My goro play style is ruined because I relied on safe punch walk. :(
what do you mean? reg punchwalk is still safe why would you ever use f3 xx punchwalk ever, unless you made a hard read on armor.

ShadyHeart

Relationship with Sonya ended
what do you mean? reg punchwalk is still safe why would you ever use f3 xx punchwalk ever, unless you made a hard read on armor.
I do F3 punch walk (that is the name of the non-ex version right?) a lot in the neutral game. If it's blocked I often go to an armored move since the opponent thinks it's their turn. With no more 1 bar armored launcher it won't be as good though... I only occasionally play him so I do mostly simple stuff.

EMPEROR_KNICKS

Master of Kombat(frauds)
I do F3 punch walk (that is the name of the non-ex version right?) a lot in the neutral game. If it's blocked I often go to an armored move since the opponent thinks it's their turn. With no more 1 bar armored launcher it won't be as good though... I only occasionally play him so I do mostly simple stuff.
if u play dragon fangs just do ex low fang it has 2 hits is plus 7 and has less recovery, so you play a little more like doomsday.

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
Here's a shit ton of matches I played on stream throughout the night following recording of the guide. First night playing new Goro, lot's of experimenting and attempting to decipher some of the new matchups.

I'll be streaming lotsa Goro and uploading plenty of sets to YouTube from here on out.

Vs Hollywood

Vs HQT and Piercing

Vs Gunslinger, Hollywood, Brawler, Piercing, Sorceror

Vs Master of Souls

Vs Brood Mother

Vs Royal Storm

Vs Possessed Kenshi
I like your use of 121; need to work that into my game. Also, I think it may be really advantageous for Goros to start checking with D3 instead of D1 when possible. With the +12 on hit, you can pressure with F2 assuming they don't armor. Good vids man, very informative.