What's new

How to go about labbing character matchups?

K3M1K4l

Banned
I don't really know where to post this but as a aquaman main on injustice 2, I understand he is not a weak character but I lack the skill necessary to crush my opponents. Could someone explain how they go about labbing each character in the game in order to be as good as they can be vs. say a batman who is plus on a lot of different strings? I have over 900 player matches played in injustice 2 but I feel as though it's time i change up the way I approach this game! Any help would be appreciated and if I posted this is the wrong forum, plz remove it mods!! Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Record a few of your regular matches against whatever character you are having trouble with.

Then recreate the scenarios and try every button you have to deal with it.

Repeat forever pretty much and it will get you better faster. Even better if you have a 2nd person to training mode with.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
I don't really know where to post this but as a aquaman main on injustice 2, I understand he is not a weak character but I lack the skill necessary to crush my opponents. Could someone explain how they go about labbing each character in the game in order to be as good as they can be vs. say a batman who is plus on a lot of different strings? I have over 900 player matches played in injustice 2 but I feel as though it's time i change up the way I approach this game! Any help would be appreciated and if I posted this is the wrong forum, plz remove it mods!! Thanks guys!
How to lab a MU.

1. Go through each strings to find gaps and to see which strings are punishable on block with a D1 poke ( You can start your on pressure if you have a reliable string that starts with a mid), a special or full combo punish.

2. Same with special attacks see if they're punishable by D1 poke, reversal or full combo punish

3. Repeat step 1 & 2.

And yes I'm fully aware of how broad my tips are to you but this is usually how I'm able to get a foothold on matchups when it comes to NRS games.

NorCalSamurai

Bacon Lettuce Tomato
I tend to go to practice and make a punish list against each character, it helps me recognize moves visually and react accordingly, as well as showing me what's safe/plus. Then I try to get sets against competent players so I can learn from losses and ask questions about specific setups.

K3M1K4l

Banned
I appreciate the advice guys, so I'll just have to put the work in. I guess as a casual player, I just want to play. At this point im even hit confirming and frame trapping but not knowing how to deal with my matchups is killing me!! Gladly, I havent moved over to ranked just yet but I'll have too put in extra work from here on out. I dont really have anyone on my list to play fighting games so I guess the computer will be my only option, but thanks!

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I'd learn the other character on a basic level so you can understand their game plan, and what ways people are working that character, to help you know your options as an Aquaman player.

DC4-3

Low tier button masher.
The best way I learn a matchup is by playing a set against someone (usually a friend) to see what combos/wake ups/setups they use. Then I'll go to the lab and learn how to counter them.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
learn to punish their most vulnerable moves first
if you're familiar with a MU and you know the scenarios that are troubling you, try to find openings on those moves and try to punish them, the most common way is to anticipate yourself before the situation present itself, so sometimes involves your character having an option that allows you to anticipate them before getting into such position.

in MKX i found jumping back while playing Kung Lao a good strategy, since he had access to a dive kick where he could use from an invulnerable position, mostly because his jump back were also much faster and covered more distance, and had less recovery compared backdash and you could cancel into dive kick or teleport at any time.

So i ended up creating lots of openings into advacing strings and low pokes with this very same strategy

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem
Don't overwhelm yourself. when you play against a matchup and you find scenarios you can't deal with. check your options against that move/string or mixup that's giving you the trouble only. then go back to ranked/player matches, hf.