What's new

Match-up Discussion How to deal with Mileena

Beast3

Theres No Escape
Ive been having a lot of trouble lately against Mileena players. Its really frustrating me. Either I get caught in the overhead or the ball roll and there goes 30%+ of my life. Any tips on dealing with her? I main Smoke, Skarlet is my secondary. Id prefer tips with Smoke though so I can level up in this match up.

totheark

Shazzy's Senpai
Just train your eye to read a B3, U4, En-Roll, etc.; they're slow enough to react to.
Smoke is actually a bad MU for Mileena.
Your Smoke Bombs and your air teleport both beat Mileena's Teleport and you have a good punisher for a blocked roll.
Mainly, play keep away. Nothing worse than Mileena trying to get in.

Walk backwards and block high. Congrats, she can't do shit to you. Don't respect her double low kick, you're better off to eat 3 of those than you are to block low once and get EX Balled. Put her on auto-wakeup in training mode and practice punishing her roll and EX teleport. if you can punish the naked EX tele consistently, you can punish any of her teleport~sai / EX teleport~sai shenanigans. naked EX port is the tightest of them all to hit. Oh, and you can punish u4 > u4 with standing 2 antiair if you predict it. Otherwise watch out for her doing that high swipe attack that isnt an overhead; its a 3 hit string and lots of mileenas like to stutter it at 2. Just poke n smoke, pretty sure she can't punish you for it anyways. idk her frame data because no sane player would ever pick that character against smoke anyways

Also, Ask Smoke Thread.

Velvet Sack

A Dream and a Dream
Walk backwards and block high. Congrats, she can't do shit to you. Don't respect her double low kick, you're better off to eat 3 of those than you are to block low once and get EX Balled.
If b3 connects, regular roll will also connect so you do need to block the first sweep low. Only the first sweep. High blocking after b3 will take care of both enhanced and regular roll, and if the Mileena player chooses b4 you'll only take like 7% damage.

What I do when I play other Mileenas is constantly shift between standing and crouching block and then commit to one or the other based on the animations, which are all pretty lengthy. Make sure you know what her overheads look like (u4, the second hit of b1,4 and the beginning enhanced roll) and be prepared for them. But yeah, the basic idea is to learn to punish her and make her come to you.

Beast3

Theres No Escape
I've tried your guy's tips and I still can't beat this bitch! The teleports made safe by the air say are hell for me, and then her D4 shit into an overhead. WTF do I do?

I've tried your guy's tips and I still can't beat this bitch! The teleports made safe by the air say are hell for me, and then her D4 shit into an overhead. WTF do I do?
I'm not expert, but can't every character at least uppercut her if they block (EX)TK~Sais low?

If you are having trouble punishing her teleport~sai, you have not practiced punishing her enough in practice mode. Open up training, pick Smoke vs. Mileena. Set the AI to auto-wakeup attack and auto-block. Walk up and sweep her, then practice blocking and punishing her specials. Note that her EX telekick MUST BE BLOCKED LOW ON THE SECOND HIT. If you do not do this, you can't punish it. Naked EX telekick is the absolute hardest telekick iteration to punish. If you consistently punish that, you can consistently punish her kicks no matter what. Can't do it if you don't practice though.

You'll use a standard d1 d1 antiair combo on her after the blocked telekick, see my cmobo thread for the notation...

Beast3

Theres No Escape
I guess yeah, but i just wish I could figure out a way to consistently punish her with 20%+ damage

Beast3

Theres No Escape
If you are having trouble punishing her teleport~sai, you have not practiced punishing her enough in practice mode. Open up training, pick Smoke vs. Mileena. Set the AI to auto-wakeup attack and auto-block. Walk up and sweep her, then practice blocking and punishing her specials. Note that her EX telekick MUST BE BLOCKED LOW ON THE SECOND HIT. If you do not do this, you can't punish it. Naked EX telekick is the absolute hardest telekick iteration to punish. If you consistently punish that, you can consistently punish her kicks no matter what. Can't do it if you don't practice though.

You'll use a standard d1 d1 antiair combo on her after the blocked telekick, see my cmobo thread for the notation...
Red part..I did not know that. This will probably help me a great deal. Thank you!

SZSR

Noob
Also, you need to punish blocked Ball Rolls before she hits the ground because she can block once she hits the ground. I usually do 2, d1, smoke bomb. When she's zoning you with sais remember to be patient, read the sais that are going over your ehad and the ones that are close enough for you to shake. Closing off her meter building is important.

TONY-T

Mad scientist
You can punish mileenas EXtelekicks with 2,1,4~SB. timing is strict and you dont need to duck block the second telekick for it to work, though id still duck block anyway just incase she throws out the sai.

King Checkmate

uɐlop sı ʎllɐnʇɔɐ
I guess yeah, but i just wish I could figure out a way to consistently punish her with 20%+ damage
Well i guess one more comment won't harm....
What i do is i poke her every time after Anything she misses with 21. (thing i learned recently).
Since the Telekick is pretty hard to punish i do this after block:
21 (if hits) ~ SB , combo....
21 (if blocked) , THROW or D1/D4 then Throw.

If you are fast enough and hit 21 after each telekick you will be punishing her with 35% + every time. If you fail, At least 4% Chip damage and a throw X)

The rest of Mileena,well as any other character , Block and poke and combo etc .....

21 is -4 on block, so anyone that blocks that has a free reversal right there. using 21 to punish mileena's telekick on block is risky; if you mistime it you're either dropping the punish, or your 21 is getting blocked: both situations are bad. I prefer to just use d1 > d1~smoke bomb as it's nearly impossible to mess up. Gets you upper 20% damage if i remember correctly, and you can easily reset Mileena after it to bring your damage to over 50% with only 1 bar of meter.

King Checkmate

uɐlop sı ʎllɐnʇɔɐ
21 is -4 on block, so anyone that blocks that has a free reversal right there. using 21 to punish mileena's telekick on block is risky; if you mistime it you're either dropping the punish, or your 21 is getting blocked: both situations are bad. I prefer to just use d1 > d1~smoke bomb as it's nearly impossible to mess up. Gets you upper 20% damage if i remember correctly, and you can easily reset Mileena after it to bring your damage to over 50% with only 1 bar of meter.
Well i guess that IS better than mine.... *scratches head*

Well i guess that IS better than mine.... *scratches head*
Again there's nothing wrong with using 21~bomb as a punish if you can do it consistently. High damage is NEVER bad. Just be aware of the risk you are taking by doing that is the only point I am trying to get across.

-9 on block, i thought i had this match up down , but played sonic fox the other week for a few smoke vs mileena games and i was like dude wow, made me realise how little i know this match up.

Ive been having a lot of trouble lately against Mileena players. Its really frustrating me. Either I get caught in the overhead or the ball roll and there goes 30%+ of my life. Any tips on dealing with her? I main Smoke, Skarlet is my secondary. Id prefer tips with Smoke though so I can level up in this match up.
and l0l ur the first person i met with the same two mains as me :) WOoooooooooop! , are you on xbl or ps3?