What's new

Question How should Scorpion be played?

Cash

Noob
Hey guys I'm a long time Lurker but I've been playing this game for a while and I've been playing Scorps for about a little over 2 months now I used to play deatstroke. I love scorps he's my favorite MK and injustice character but Jesus Christ am I struggling with him. I did pretty solid with stroke but scorps is an entirely different story. I find myself getting really close or blown up in my matches! It is kind of frustrating cause the close matches happen more often than not but it's still hard! I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong or is he just that bad!! I don't want to drop him but if it comes to it I guess :/

So it had me questioning my playstyle with him and was wondering if you guys have noticed specific ways to play the character that goes outside the norm and is effective. I usually play a typical scorpion that try's to put you in the "vortex". I've been told I try and play him like he's still pre patch and I can see that as being a problem, but I'm trying to figure out other ways to utilize his tools and play him more solidly. Anything you guys do differently or think would be effective? Even if it's match up related.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
Ill start off saying.. I believe Slips and PL are the strongest Scorpion Post Patch, PL has a few sets of him playing scorps in his stream archive. i dont remember any specific dates, so it'll take a bit of searching. Footage of slips playing is everywhere all over GGAs channel on youtube (although, he has been using deathstroke lately, so check for older videos)

I've noticed them using hellfire a lot in neutral to bait reactions and jumps. Also, 2u3 seems to be their favorite goto string (they tend to mix up with 212, 2u3 and 2 x MB teleport). df3 (the normal, diagonal forward) seems to long range and decent for footsies, but i dont see many scorpion players using it that much. like i said 2u3 seems to be his best string.

Scorpion has a strong oki game and nets bigger damage off of knockdowns ending in 212 rather than standing resets. Although, his standing resets are good for when you do have meter. I believe the character is best played once you've train your opponent, b2 is an incredibly slow overhead (for me atleast) and it seems if u can hit your opponent with that in the vortex, you have them trained.

j1 seems to be his best air to air normal, j3 for cross ups or jump ins and j2 for neutral jump mix ups. his sweep is very good to use in neutral as well to net a HKD mix up.

Now, ive only played roughly 100 games with scorpion post patch, thats most because i personally havent had much success nor fun with him. everything ive said is based solely upon what i've seen other players doing, i tend to study characters that aren't played much to learn MU's better since theres a lower population of them floating around online.

remember, 2u3, 212, 2 x MB teleport and 21 x MB teleport seem to be very rewarding in neutral, also sparingly using hellfire to bait reactions. i think scorpion has evolved past a strictly vortex character, his neutral is hard to get down but once learned, he becomes a great utility character against interactable reliant and zoning characters.

hope this helps dude!! :D

Cash

Noob
Ill start off saying.. I believe Slips and PL are the strongest Scorpion Post Patch, PL has a few sets of him playing scorps in his stream archive. i dont remember any specific dates, so it'll take a bit of searching. Footage of slips playing is everywhere all over GGAs channel on youtube (although, he has been using deathstroke lately, so check for older videos)

I've noticed them using hellfire a lot in neutral to bait reactions and jumps. Also, 2u3 seems to be their favorite goto string (they tend to mix up with 212, 2u3 and 2 x MB teleport). df3 (the normal, diagonal forward) seems to long range and decent for footsies, but i dont see many scorpion players using it that much. like i said 2u3 seems to be his best string.

Scorpion has a strong oki game and nets bigger damage off of knockdowns ending in 212 rather than standing resets. Although, his standing resets are good for when you do have meter. I believe the character is best played once you've train your opponent, b2 is an incredibly slow overhead (for me atleast) and it seems if u can hit your opponent with that in the vortex, you have them trained.

j1 seems to be his best air to air normal, j3 for cross ups or jump ins and j2 for neutral jump mix ups. his sweep is very good to use in neutral as well to net a HKD mix up.

Now, ive only played roughly 100 games with scorpion post patch, thats most because i personally havent had much success nor fun with him. everything ive said is based solely upon what i've seen other players doing, i tend to study characters that aren't played much to learn MU's better since theres a lower population of them floating around online.

remember, 2u3, 212, 2 x MB teleport and 21 x MB teleport seem to be very rewarding in neutral, also sparingly using hellfire to bait reactions. i think scorpion has evolved past a strictly vortex character, his neutral is hard to get down but once learned, he becomes a great utility character against interactable reliant and zoning characters.

hope this helps dude!! :D
Yeah man thanks a lot I use 2u3 a lot the only time I get blown up is when I get greedy and go for spear and it's blocked. As far as the 212 knock down I've been looking at that a lot recently cause I usually go into standing reset into vortex and it either gets fuzzied or they guess right and I'm punished. I'll explore his hard knock down game more and see what success I can have!

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
Try to play on stages with background bounce opportunities. Scorpion converts very well into and off of them.

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
Also, when your character can only do 30% damage at a time, you need to be extra careful to not get hit by your opponent's character. play defensively, or completely overwhelm them. One or the other, and switch between them as necessary.