What's new

How Often Do You Make a Hard Read on Wakeup?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
This is something I've been thinking a lot about as I get better at MK11. Because they are so many choices on wakeup, you have numerous chances to make a hard read when you're being pressured after you're knocked down, vs. just delayed WU or getting up and blocking.

Hard reads would be: roll (punishable by grab etc.), neutral jump/jump forward or back, u3, hit a button immediately on wakeup to interrupt, or neutral crouch to blow up a throw.
Safer options would be: Delayed wakeup, or just block

Outside of playing against opponents who are very readable, where it's obvious, I'm curious to know how often and when you guys apply each approach? And how it varies based on the type of pressure the matchup dictates. Also how it applies to characters with oki loops (Jax, Geras, grappler Kano, etc).

Anyway, I think it'll be an interesting discussion and I'm curious to see how risky your approach getting off the ground is, most frequently.

Note: This mainly applies when your opponent is actively pressuring you on knockdown; because if they aren't, and they're just waiting for you to hang yourself, you can just get up and do whatever.

Last edited:
Quite often actually. I play Jax and anytime I play an opponent that loves to U3, I’ll just back up before they do and hold b2 and get the krushing blow pop up for a full combo. Neutral jumping also works a ton as does just throwing (stopping rolls) so I’d say pretty often

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Quite often actually. I play Jax and anytime I play an opponent that loves to U3, I’ll just back up before they do and hold b2 and get the krushing blow pop up for a full combo. Neutral jumping also works a ton as does just throwing (stopping rolls) so I’d say pretty often
You're talking about defending against the wakeup, but what about when you're waking up yourself? That's more of what I'm asking in this thread.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
Like...way too much. I u3 (I play Frost so her reach catches a lot of people off guard) and roll A LOT. I actually need to calm down and delay wakeup much more often. It's one of my biggest weaknesses in this game but I've always been an umeshoryu kinda player (scrub).

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
It's VERY rare I land successful U2/U3 wakeups, but hot DAMN if I don't catch button-happy people trying to stuff me by rolling at / past them super often. Forward rolling is the most satisfying thing against a vast majority of players. I even do that shit midscreen when knocked away cause no one expects it.

Other than that, I tend to be a basic bitch and just hold myself down to give myself a chance to breathe for a moment. It's a very good way to get myself focused again after potentially a nasty situation, if even just for a moment.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
Delayed wake-up is my usual go to mid match, but my current low-level opponents get button happy at lower levels of health, no one expects the Kotal U3, and if they take a step back in an attempt to stuff a roll or try a mix-up U2 with Kotal has some excellent reach.

I honestly rarely go for rolls, the online seems to eat my inputs anytime I do, and i just end up standing up defenseless.

This is probably the weakest point in my game right now. I really need to mix it up more. I used to catch people with Barakas U3 all the time but that rarely works anymore, not sure if I’m playing better players or everyone caught on. I also neutral jump on wake up too much, it either pays off in dividends or completely fucks me. Basically I need to use my safe options way more, that same delayed wakeup always gets me when my opponent uses it.

E

Eldriken

It's entirely MU dependent. Not even gonna lie.

I block a lot on wakeup, but I also u3 a lot too. Sometimes when I FUCKING KNOW I SHOULDN'T AND LOSE BECAUSE I DO IT ANYWAY. >=O

But in most cases, what I wakeup with depends on the MU and what my opponent's options are to blow up certain types of wakeups (rolls, u2/u3, short delay, long delay, etc).

It also depends on the person I'm playing. I let them try and condition me so I can see what they're prone to doing and then go from there. Then, if they notice this and adapt accordingly, I too must do the same. The cycle continues.

I'll admit that I fuck up a lot, however. I sometimes ignore my better judgement and lose because of it. I just don't seem to learn from my mistakes. It's like I'm controlled by a flowchart and being stubborn at the same. I can't stand it.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
I rarely ever do a wakeup u3, partly because cetrion's u3 sucks but also because I don't like the risk reward considering how expensive it is. most of the time I wakeup with block or with jump and buttons.

Eh SnOwY

PC FGC
dont like wakeups tbh
just wakeup blocking and prepare to guess a grab. rather save my meter for combos or breaking out from a combo

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
This is something I've been thinking a lot about as I get better at MK11. Because they are so many choices on wakeup, you have numerous chances to make a hard read when you're being pressured after you're knocked down, vs. just delayed WU or getting up and blocking.

Hard reads would be: roll (punishable by grab etc.), neutral jump/jump forward or back, u3, hit a button immediately on wakeup to interrupt, or neutral crouch to blow up a throw.
Safer options would be: Delayed wakeup, or just block

Outside of playing against opponents who are very readable, where it's obvious, I'm curious to know how often and when you guys apply each approach? And how it varies based on the type of pressure the matchup dictates. Also how it applies to characters with oki loops (Jax, Geras, grappler Kano, etc).

Anyway, I think it'll be an interesting discussion and I'm curious to see how risky your approach getting off the ground is, most frequently.

Note: This mainly applies when your opponent is actively pressuring you on knockdown; because if they aren't, and they're just waiting for you to hang yourself, you can just get up and do whatever.
If you mean holding diagonally up on wakeup, I think 99% of people online make hard reads twenty times every match :D

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
I find that 95% of people in match will use the same form of wake up . So for example I was playing against a Jade that only did U3 wake ups. Playing as Skarlet I double parried and got the KB first round.

Very rarely do I see people mix match their wake up options, I tend to delay wake up as a lot of lower level players attempt to go pressure crazy and do something unsafe on recovery

NickDaGreek1983

Oh, my days !
My biggest weakness, in general, is defense. As far as wake ups though, i'm a fan of medium or full delayed wakeup buttons. But I do not adapt at all... Plus, I have old man reactions/adaptation/bad habits which sucks.

4x4lo8o

Noob
It depends a lot on the match up. Some match up you need your meter so break so rolling and waking up are basically not options.

I like to do lots of delayed get up, then when they start delaying their meaties because I delay get up every time I'll do normal get up into buttons

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
Despite the supposed enormous amount of wake-up options this game has, I get demolished on wake-up more often than not.
#buffwakeupsMK11

t3kwytch3r

Stone-Kold-Zoner
I go for the Long Delayed Wakeup 50-60% of the time. I used to ALWAYS wakeup U3 but i got wise. Depending on what the opponent is doing, i may wakeup d1, block or roll but only situationally.

I never roll backwards.

If i'm playing Kabal, i'll U2 every so often, especially if they're dashing in to me after a far knockdown. I may condition them by waking up neutral jumping beforehand. It's either 25ish percent, or their breakaway used up on hit. Plus OKI either way.

Lately as shang i'm finding success with varying the delayed wu's and doing his jab string. Tends to net a counter or punish, hit confirmable into 27ish %, places opponent fullscreen away with choice of soul steal or corner escape (slide).