What's new

Question How Much Time Do You Spend In The Lab? + How Much Time Is Necessary In The Lab?

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
What I do
Check frames on block and whiff
Practice combos
Making up situations that may occur and what I’m gonna do about them
Still getting my ass handed to me online because I try to backdash on wake up and I rely more on dashes than walking. Can anyone tell me what’s more viable?

BolverkGTM

Dad Beard Connoisseur
What I do
Check frames on block and whiff
Practice combos
Making up situations that may occur and what I’m gonna do about them
Still getting my ass handed to me online because I try to backdash on wake up and I rely more on dashes than walking. Can anyone tell me what’s more viable?
For the most part I’ve been walking. It’s less of a commitment in neutral. If I think someone’s hesitant, I’ll dash to bait a response.

Nutz

Noob
I love practice mode, having spent so much time in it with SFV being able to setup all kinds of scenarios and knowing confidently what you can and can't punish. Mostly after having dealt with something truly frustrating in a match or so before, makes it all worthwhile. I can't attest to how much time exactly I spend in training but its definitely hours and often times my ps4 is idle in training or goes to rest and wakes up in training since its like the sandbox or whiteboard for my ideas and other folks' suggestions.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
For me, in the beginning it is hard to put time in the lab. When I first start out I have no Idea what to do, or how to do it, so I may spend like 20-30 minutes learning moves, then I'll go online or fight the CPU for a bit. Once I have some real world experience knowing what works and what may not, that is when I really can lab it up, refining combos and strats, and coming up with new ideas.

Like I said I can only spend like 30 mins in there when I first pick up a character, but just last night, after spending a weekend grinding online, I was able to effortlessly spend 3 hours in practice just trying new things and coming up with new combos.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I have been trying but I find that the longer I try to one combo the worse I get over time lol. It just feels like I’m building bad habits lol. Maybe I need to switch between a couple different combos or something.

The
Drop combo
Reset
Drop combo
Reset
Drop combo
Reset
Get so close to combo
Reset
Can’t even start combo amplify

Shit isn’t working for me. I just get irritated and go play matches.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Yeah just be there the time you have to, there’s no need to spend a LOT.
Also I honestly think that NRS games are super easy and you don’t need to train a lot, I can see that being the case for Street Fighter for example since those games are way more complex and have just frame links and stuff like that.

In NRS games I usually spend like 3-4 hours with a character and hop online because you will earn by playing real people imo, of course you’re gonna get bodied at first but that’s how it works. Also every time I play I warm up on training mode for like 20 mins or so

mn_tercercine

you can call me blue cheese, because I am DRESSING
At my most serious in the late 2000s (frequently going to large tourneys/local casuals) I would spend an immense amount of time in the lab.

Basically I would get to the point where I had an entire match flowchart strategy in my head that I could auto-pilot. Take that strategy online until I encounter someone who can beat it, then figure out why they beat it and go back to the lab and adjust.

The flowchart then becomes more complex and you repeat the process until you have such comprehensive matchup knowledge that people can't necessary tell you're flow charting.

In the original Injustice game I had a google doc spreadsheet with detailed notes on what to do vs. every normal/kombo string/special move of every character in the game and it served me very well.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Noobs.

Learn a BnB. Go straight to ranked. Get bodied. Think man, that character is trash.

lol

Seriously tho, I don't spend much time in practice mode. I like to learn by playing. Sometimes moves that shouldn't work based on their frames, actually do because humans have different reactions. I've always said I should spend way more time in the lab but, I just... I wanna play the game man. lol

Wazurau

FGC Since '97
Ok same topic of practice mode but different question. The patch for xbox is suppose to come out today, I'm currently out of the house due to house showings (cause selling my house) but, are you able to use Kompetitive variations in single player practice mode now or do you still have to make a custom variation with the kompetitive moveset?

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I have spent way more time in the lab with this game, than any other game before. There's always stuff you can learn and it's still fairly new so it's been really fun trying stuff out.