What's new

How many people do you estimate use a lag switch online (that you've run into)?

ThePedro

IIINCORRUPTIBLE
I've taken some polls on other sites where the people openly admitting to using a lag switch is usually well above 20% of respondents. I'm running into people repeatedly where the game is actually lagging me out near the very end, in several cases where I was just about to finish my opponent, then it actually gives me a loss. What is your experience with online cheaters and should NRS address these more carefully?

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings
Never felt that any opponent used a lagswitch and couldn´t care less if someone does it. If a Player is so low that he has to use such a thing to not mentally break.....well……..

NRS can´t adress it and can´t do anything about it I think. Lagswitching is done in so many shooters and they can´t do shit against it.

JJParker

Noob
Some people live in areas with bad internet, others might have households with 3 or 4 people all trying to use the WiFi at the same time. Whatever the cause may be there are plenty of genuine reasons for why there might be a lag spike so nobody should ever jump to the conclusion that their opponent is cheating. Of course lag switching does happen but anyone accusing someone of lag switching when they have zero evidence is just a salty scrub who takes online gaming far too seriously.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
I am sure it happens in MK, but also as to a reason why it might be happening towards the end, in my experience the connection always starts to fizzle as you progress. I have matches with constant people whom I know don’t lagswitch but the longer we play the harder I feel the lag. To be fair, this issue was resolved when the person I’m referring to go Ethernet

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
I play PC and have only ever run into 1 genuine lag switcher. He's also level 300, has the S4 elder god kombat kard, and is like 99/2 in KL.

The game runs at a comfy 10 or fewer FPS despite 4 bars when queued together; and if he begins to lose, he'll turn off the lag switch then promptly do the "Connection is no longer available" bailout. It's really neat.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
A few every day, it's utterly pathetic how people have to resort to cheating just to compete in a fighting game or any game....The shit in MK 11 online makes the 3D days and MK 9 look great online in comparison.

Never felt that any opponent used a lagswitch and couldn´t care less if someone does it. If a Player is so low that he has to use such a thing to not mentally break.....well……..

NRS can´t adress it and can´t do anything about it I think. Lagswitching is done in so many shooters and they can´t do shit against it.
If he needs that to prevent mentally breaking, he shouldn't be playing the game to begin with. Now losing to such bs like that would mentally break someone after a while. I mean you're screwing with the connection to your advantage, how is that not cheating? I have no problem reporting every lag switcher, puller I encounter til they learn. NRS can't do anything about the lagswitching but they can punish those who pull, they just don't want to. Other games do it.

Last edited:

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
probably none. This is more likely a physiological effect. There have been studies on it funded by EA and run from the universities. Most players perceives issues with lag and bots and hacking, when there is none as it is a escape from the reality that they just suck or in someway the lag is their own fault. What makes this a powerful effect is like all delusions, the players honestly believe it. Still the fact is that lag switching and other forms of hacking are actually extremely rare ... no matter how many posts you see a day about it. A great example form the study is the control group thinking that the AI of the bots in a game was really bad... so they changed the hitpoints of the bot, and now all the players thought the AI was improved. Basically gamers do not know shit about games.

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
I don’t think people have lag switches so much as people have WiFi and their family is using the data to watch YouTube Videos or Netflix specials. People put their WiFi through some intense shit man...

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
I really doubt people use lag switches, at least not in the FGs I've played (mostly NRS). I've never had it happen to me, or not in any way that makes me certain it's a lag switch and not just wifi being wifi.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
it happens but on the other hand i have played people with horrid ping that I can decline and the match plays just fine and i'm wired. for some reason the netcode to me does not feel as smooth as either injustice games or even the beta if this one. I think just a lot of dif things are factor but maybe. never new a lag switch was a thing but i'm not surprised.

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
I know one for sure. First match was so silky smooth, able to react perfectly. Next match I was underwater wearing a cinder block vest. I just got the fuck out, not gonna waste my time with that nonsense

ThePedro

IIINCORRUPTIBLE
Some people live in areas with bad internet, others might have households with 3 or 4 people all trying to use the WiFi at the same time. Whatever the cause may be there are plenty of genuine reasons for why there might be a lag spike so nobody should ever jump to the conclusion that their opponent is cheating. Of course lag switching does happen but anyone accusing someone of lag switching when they have zero evidence is just a salty scrub who takes online gaming far too seriously.
Then there's separate situations where you can:

1) Prove with 100% certainty that a user is lag switching, such as in a case where you forensically test for it with a toolkit named "punkbuster" (appropriately named, btw).

2) And/or in situations where a user brags about doing so in writing.

3) A person who endorses another fraudulent player are the folks you have to watch out for; not the person calling out frauds...

4) Online play can also be just as competitive (at a tournament level) as offline play, although not with NRS titles, since they have a reputation for shady net code. Gears of War 3 or 4, for example, had dedicated servers and you can play tournaments online at a high level...

5) ALSO: If the entire online portion of a video games competitive sector shouldn't be taken seriously, then why would people even pay for it or take the competitive aspect of the title seriously at all?

Last edited: